Sponsored

Road/Track Testing

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
The discussion of road & track testing has started up on the "Face of the 2015 Mustang" thread. I thought it is a great point of discussion on it's own.

I guess the question is : What kind of testing needs the camo off, and where can they do that sort of testing in secret?

Obviously, they need to do aerodynamic testing, but I would think, that for the most part, they can get this from computer fluid dynamic simulations and wind tunnels. I don't see that any track testing will give them any more actual data. It's not like a race car that is so very finely tuned. Maybe future performance versions may need finer tuning, but any of the stock versions could be tested inside.

Any real world testing like they've been doing isn't really going to be affected by the camo, that I can tell.

In the case of the spy photos, why did they need to pull the camo off if they were doing brake testing? Looking at the photos, they strapped the rest of the camo down, so they must have been concerned that the speeds would pull it off. Maybe they couldn't figure out how to keep it on the front? I know cooling has been suggested. I don't think aero issues are a concern in brake tuning? I guess there some downforce issues, but that's a lot to do w/ the rear aero as well.

So, what other kind of testing might they need to pull the camo off for?
Sponsored

GTsquid

I think someone suggested it could've been for the brake ducts. :shrug:

I'm no expert on this stuff but as others have said time is running out for them to start testing actual final parts. At some point I would think they have to have a full fledged S550 to be tested on actual roads so they have enough time to work out any issues that they may find. You can do computer simulations and test in wind tunnels but in order to work out any kinks in suspension/transmission real driving whether on a track or public roads will have to be done.

mykrrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FoST
Typically "secret" testing goes on at tracks/proviing grounds by certain teams of engineers. Different departments are given budgets to go testing and sometimes they'll pool their resources together to rent track time.

A friend who was on the S197 project went testing at a local track with SVT and Police Interceptor engineers. They were testing the current GT500 and the Taurus and Explorer PI's.

I'd bet this test was for engine cooling. If they were brake testing, you'd think the fog light/brake duct areas of the front fascia would be open.

The full camo and S197 bodied S550 mules run around Dearborn all the time. They're doing "real world" testing then.

fastback69

Real world testing is always necessary. It is like any new product. You gotta put it through its paces in different real life situations and the more people get their hands on it (in this case that means the test drivers), the better the testing.

After all you can't just make one prototype and expect that if it has no issues, you're good and done. That's what the fleet of mules and prototypes are all about. There's also the reality that there should be dozens to hundreds made before mass production and not all of them can be tested on a track.

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
Real world testing is always necessary. It is like any new product. You gotta put it through its paces in different real life situations and the more people get their hands on it (in this case that means the test drivers), the better the testing.

After all you can't just make one prototype and expect that if it has no issues, you're good and done. That's what the fleet of mules and prototypes are all about. There's also the reality that there should be dozens to hundreds made before mass production and not all of them can be tested on a track.
I agree.

They need to test the car on the track...running it to it's limits and finding out how it reacts. In reality, they need to push it as hard as a customer will...and even harder....on the track and on the street. To test engine cooling, under hood temps, etc, they would need to have the camo off as it would have both an insulating and air flow restricting effect. I doubt they want to go through what they did with the Boss 302, when guys took it to the track in hot weather and it tended to over heat and tax the cooling system. They had a too restrictive grill in it and the only early solution they could give to owners, was to open up the air flow by removing the grille while on track.....not a great answer and one that Boss 302 owners were not happy about. I'm betting that they will be testing and pushing it to it's limits and beyond, to avoid another mistake like that.

Sponsored

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
another possibility, albeit maybe too simple, is that they were testing and the camouflage was not staying on at higher speeds and they removed it prevent safety issues

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
This is something that I questioned too. I am very interested in what they would be testing with just the front removed.

I feel if they were testing cooling or aero, the flow around the entire car will have an impact and thus the car would have nothing on it. But on the other hand I think if they were testing brakes, they can remove just the part of the camo that cover the brake ducts(if there are any).

I guess it make the most sense that cooling is being tested, and the data is accurate enough at this point not worry about the effect of the remaining camo?

I would bet that the next time we will see camo off, ALL of it will be off, and the car will be wrapped in the black/white camo vinyl.

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
High speed testing is brutal on the camo. If you notice, they use a ton of ratchet straps on the rear camo to cover it and keep it on the car. Aero testing on a track has to be removed to allow for better cooling.

Ford can test the car uncovered at Dearborn proving grounds, Romeo proving grounds, and Arizona proving grounds. The latter might be more difficult, because I suspect they don't have barriers up that are opaque, preventing prying eyes from looking in. Dearborn and Romeo have natural and man made barriers to hide new models.

Attached are both the Dearborn Development Center (DDC) and the Ford Michigan Proving Grounds (MPG)
dearborn.JPG
Romeo.JPG

RIParker

If they are that concerned with prying eyes, which they should be for the S550, I don't understand why not just have armed security placed throughout the outside of the track facility.

It looks like there are major roads surrounding it so unless their lenses allow them to take these pics from across the highway that should prevent them from at least getting clear pictures.

OP
OP

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
I've heard from a very reliable source that Ford has rented a more secure location for testing the s550...

s550-15.jpg
FordTestingGround.jpg

Sponsored

MustangMarine

I've heard from a very reliable source that Ford has rented a more secure location for testing the s550...

s550-15.jpg
:lol::lol: funny since the govt just officially acknowledge Area 51 for the first time.

Wonder if this site's 'spies' can get past the military security :D

MustangMarine

High speed testing is brutal on the camo. If you notice, they use a ton of ratchet straps on the rear camo to cover it and keep it on the car. Aero testing on a track has to be removed to allow for better cooling.

Ford can test the car uncovered at Dearborn proving grounds, Romeo proving grounds, and Arizona proving grounds. The latter might be more difficult, because I suspect they don't have barriers up that are opaque, preventing prying eyes from looking in. Dearborn and Romeo have natural and man made barriers to hide new models.

Attached are both the Dearborn Development Center (DDC) and the Ford Michigan Proving Grounds (MPG)
MPG aerial looks like crop circles made by alien car enthusiasts :)

Where do you guess Ford will test the s550 once winter hits and MPG track is frozen over? Only at Arizona or elsewhere also?

That's when we're most likely to see the most uncovered prototypes. Too bad it won't still be hot out and require them to keep camo off for cooling.

shelby1k

That's when we're most likely to see the most uncovered prototypes. Too bad it won't still be hot out and require them to keep camo off for cooling.
I would think by then the weather won't matter and they will have already started the slow tease.

Besides, dont they have to do cold weather testing? Can't keep the camo on as insulation for those tests.

OP
OP

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
I would think by then the weather won't matter and they will have already started the slow tease.
I don't want to hijack my own thread, but you assume that they will be doing a slow tease. This is the biggest project in many years. I don't think we can expect for Ford to do what they or other companies have done in the past. I'm hoping they can keep it under wraps until the big reveal. More impact that way.

I think that if they wanted to, they could figure out a way to do all the testing they need without showing us anything. Chip Ganassi figured out how to do it...

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/nascar/the-secrets-of-laurel-hill/

shelby1k

I don't want to hijack my own thread, but you assume that they will be doing a slow tease. This is the biggest project in many years. I don't think we can expect for Ford to do what they or other companies have done in the past. I'm hoping they can keep it under wraps until the big reveal. More impact that way.

I think that if they wanted to, they could figure out a way to do all the testing they need without showing us anything. Chip Ganassi figured out how to do it...

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/nascar/the-secrets-of-laurel-hill/
Pont taken but Ford hasnt exactly been shy about showing off these heavily camo'd s550 prototypes.

There have been plenty of new cars in the past that never get spotted until the swirly camo tape or in near production shape close to it being revealed so I agree that they could keep it totally under wraps if they really wanted to. My assumption is based off the fact that they drove these around with the windows down, parked multiple prototypes in certain locations and also source claiming Ford will tease it months before debut.

Cuz they sure aint testing these wrapped s550's for anything they can't do in a tunnel.
Sponsored