PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
@PKs any advance on the header install Peter?
Yes I had the Pacemakers put on last week. Bit soon for me to fully assess. I drove it home (about 80klms) and have had it up on jack stands since. I will be doing a service and adding a few other mods while it is up. I am putting this work off a bit because at the moment all I have is a roadbase floor in my shed and it is mighty uncomfortable not working on concrete.
Anyhow the extractors/headers are on and with the short drive home on the M1 they came across as a little raspy particularly when gunned. I am hoping that they carbon up a bit and mellow out. I have the Borla Switchfire "X pipe" and before the extractors the exhaust sounded nice and mellow with no rasp. Maybe it is not going to play nicely with the new extractors. Time will tell.
I did not get a CEL which I am thankfull for.
Performance wise I have not noticed any difference. The exhaust guy said that it will take the ECU a little bit to recognise the change and will adapt to the improved flow.
The two layers of coatings look ok and I guess that they will improve under hood temps.
PXL_20240305_015040202.jpg
PXL_20240305_014822278.jpg
PXL_20240307_003053081.jpg
PXL_20240307_003156738.jpg
PXL_20240307_005531395.jpg
PXL_20240307_005548254.jpg

The new Pacemakers sit a little lower than the OEM exhaust and consequently my Steeda Extreme G-Trac Member Brace will not fit on. I will have to look at alternatives.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
The addition of extractors certainly added rasp. 🙄

With the tune it's also added low down torque. 🙂

I still find, three years later, I'm in 3rd then I thought it was 2nd.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I ended up getting a CEL on my next drive. So I now have it booked for a dyno tune and an A10 tune in 3 weeks time. With further driving I found the rasp is worst while in Quite mode and sounds just like the exhaust is getting pushed through a narrow opening (which it is). It is more mellow with the valves open. One thing that I will certainly get done at tune time is to greatly reduce the start up revs pattern to take away the initial bark.

OP
OP
tuf50L

tuf50L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order pending
So thoughts, why wouldn’t you get a mail order tune from a company that’s tuned 10,000 mustangs instead of a local shop that’s tuned 26?

Sponsored

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
So thoughts, why wouldn’t you get a mail order tune from a company that’s tuned 10,000 mustangs instead of a local shop that’s tuned 26?
I feel more confidence in the local shop doing it. They probably use off the shelf tunes as a start point and then finesse it for what mods are on the car and what the client is wanting. I may be wrong but that is what I suspect.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
One thing that I will certainly get done at tune time is to greatly reduce the start up revs pattern to take away the initial bark.
I'll be interested to see if they do this for you. When I asked my tuner, they refused saying it was needed for emissions reasons to warm the cats.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
That's interesting. At the very least I'd wager that post-tune emissions are greater than oem. Unless they did an EM240 (?) test to make sure the car passes emissions post-tune, which I'm guessing it probably doesn't, I wonder why they're so concerned about just that aspect noting EM240 doesn't test cold start.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
That's interesting. At the very least I'd wager that post-tune emissions are greater than oem. Unless they did an EM240 (?) test to make sure the car passes emissions post-tune, which I'm guessing it probably doesn't, I wonder why they're so concerned about just that aspect noting EM240 doesn't test cold start.
I agree.

Fast idle at start up drives me mad. In our new Outback XT it's frenetic at start up and for an extended period of time too. Must waste so much fuel.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I agree.

Fast idle at start up drives me mad. In our new Outback XT it's frenetic at start up and for an extended period of time too. Must waste so much fuel.
Can be done easily via HP Tuners software etc, I have looked over the shoulder of a tuner who changed a friends startup protocol. If they are concerned about emissions/cats my cats are 200 cell and the usual install with headers is 100 cell. I think to be street legal they need to be 500 or 600 cell cats which with their large diameter would hang too low with long tubes.

Sponsored

TeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
PKs - I Have Ramjet 1& 3/4 inch Headers to 3 inch Hi-Flow Cats & 3 inch Borla ATAK Exhaust on my 2017 GT - I Had to put a Borla 3 inch Resonator in place of the X Pipe as it was just obnoxiously too loud without - I Recommend getting a custom Dyno Tune so the tuner can tailor the tune for your requirements - I asked for torque as I rarely rev above 6,500rpm - Dyno printout below:

IMG_2354.JPG

Reactions: PKs

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
PKs - I Have Ramjet 1& 3/4 inch Headers to 3 inch Hi-Flow Cats & 3 inch Borla ATAK Exhaust on my 2017 GT - I Had to put a Borla 3 inch Resonator in place of the X Pipe as it was just obnoxiously too loud without - I Recommend getting a custom Dyno Tune so the tuner can tailor the tune for your requirements - I asked for torque as I rarely rev above 6,500rpm - Dyno printout below:

IMG_2354.JPG
Yep, I will ask for low end torque instead of high speed as well.
I am not liking the thought of losing my Borla Switchfire but the whole soundscape has changed with the longtubes.
Sponsored