Rear Ended, seeking advice

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I agree with many of the above. From the pictures, it looks significant.

Your exhaust system even got whacked which sends pressure/stress up the drivetrain and into the engine bay. Things may have shifted up there that aren't apparent (yet).

My mind is wondering if the insurance company is hoping to get some crap shop to fix this for low dollars because they know the book value on this would be much higher than they want to pay.
Sponsored

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If insurance is paying, go with the most expensive bid. They’ll make sure there’s no problems in the future. They’ll tell you if the drivetrain is also damaged.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Anyone have any good shop recommendations here in San Jose? That charges premium?

Last edited:

Johnny maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick xlt fx4 4k lux 89 cougar xr7 5spd 84
I'm sorry for your loss. Glad you're ok. I think that is a total loss. As said by other posters Make sure you have the drivetrain checked by someone qualified not working for the insurance company. If it were mine I push towards totaling it. You don't want that car after that. leaks and squeaks will plague you. Start looking for its replacement. Sorry

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I should note that the initial estimate was done only by photos by the insurance.

Then the Bodyshop I initially took it too said that the estimate the insurance did via photographs, (which didn’t include the front bumper damage when my car was pushed forward to the car in front of me from the force of the impact) was accurate….needless to say I am extremely skeptical of that and want a second opinion.

Sponsored

Drugdealr

LOLKBYE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Initail estimates are always on the low end because again, they are the initial estimate. Once the body show takes the car apart and finds any more damage they contact the insurance to make an adjustment to the initial estimate.

With that being said, have it towed elsewhere id you feel they are doing you and your car a disservice.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It could if the rear diff and driveshaft got jammed forward,
The driveshaft has slip joints, if the rear was shoved forward the car would need serious frame work and would have been totaled.

Ditchdigger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 mustang gt, 18 f 250
If they fix the car make sure you push for diminished value also. The insurance company should have a calculator that tells you the value of the car before and after the accident. I'm not sure if all states allow this, but worth a try.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
If they fix the car make sure you push for diminished value also. The insurance company should have a calculator that tells you the value of the car before and after the accident. I'm not sure if all states allow this, but worth a try.
Would that normally be through my insurance or throught the at fault party?
A am running the claim through my insurance

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
The driveshaft has slip joints, if the rear was shoved forward the car would need serious frame work and would have been totaled.
They won't know if there is frame damage until they start taking it apart. The initial estimate for repairs are done on the ground, based on educated guesses and pictures. It doesn't take much for the crumple zones to give way.

Sponsored

Drugdealr

LOLKBYE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Would that normally be through my insurance or throught the at fault party?
A am running the claim through my insurance
why are you running this through your insurance? the at fault insurance should be directly involved.

Ditchdigger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 mustang gt, 18 f 250
That should go through the fault insurance. A friend of mine had his car backed into and received some extra money after he started pushing for it.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for your loss. It sucks when something that you love is damaged by somebody not paying attention. Were the cops called to make a report and give a ticket? His insurance should be paying for everything including a possible new car.

mcky2011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
The frame isn't the only concern, if the roof is bent it is totalled.
Sponsored