Sponsored

Rear brembo's for the GT pp1...any options

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
I can't believe I'm still looking at these stock small rear brakes on my gtpp...time to look at options for the rear brakes now that my extended service plan is coming to an end...Has anyone come up with a larger rear rotor/caliper combo that can be matched to the front brembo's..Im thinking a caliper I can paint to match the fronts?...Possibly an actual rear brembo bolt on?
Sponsored

OP
OP

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can’t believe I’m looking at another one of these posts. Full GT350 setup if you must have the appearance upgrade. Part number M-2300-Y
Well...I dont wanna whole kit..my front brembo's are fine and just looking at matching something up to the rears...thanks.

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Brembo calipers never have an integrated E brake, so it's a much more involved swap that just chucking some calipers on. And nobody's having trouble with the normal GT rear caliper. You're looking at a lot of money and work for an appearance upgrade.

OP
OP

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok..not familiar with what has gone on with brake upgrades..just never followed it I guess..looks like ford performance or some aftermarket company could have made a ton of $$ years ago by offering such an upgrage for on rear brakes of gtpp owners...have to say Im fine with the stock color of my front Brembo's..thanks

Sponsored

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Aftermarket Brembos, where you don't have the benefit of economies of scale, are expensive. Adding to that the need to come up with a different way to actuate the parking brake, and it's a complicated problem to solve, which again drives up the price. The fact that the stock rear calipers are totally up to the task also drives demand way down. I suspect the ford performance kit is actually a pretty economical option at $3K+
I saw this kit while browsing once upon a time, but I'm not aware of anyone who runs it. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-140-13888-dr/year/2018/make/ford/model/mustang

OP
OP

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thub..thanks for the link..looks like a maybe!

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Ok..not familiar with what has gone on with brake upgrades..just never followed it I guess..looks like ford performance or some aftermarket company could have made a ton of $$ years ago by offering such an upgrage for on rear brakes of gtpp owners...have to say Im fine with the stock color of my front Brembo's..thanks
Except there is zero need to. Ford Performance releases upgrades for performance, not for looks. If you really need Brembo in the rear that much, find some caliper covers or something. Note that FP set is front / rear for a reason - so they're matched together.

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Thub..thanks for the link..looks like a maybe!
Doing just the rears will almost definitely mess with the brake balance. Especially being the rear brakes, that can be really dangerous even on a street car.

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
You can buy the fronts and rears separately. Full Tilt Boogie Racing sells them as a kit or just the fronts/just the rears.
http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/2015_S550_Brake_parts.htm

You're going to have to check with someone with more experience, but I'm almost certain you cannot run the big brake kit with any stock wheels. There are certain offsets the front and rear wheels have to be to clear the calipers.The stock wheels won't cut it. These calipers are huge! lol

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
I'm trying so hard to bite my tongue. I need to remember most people care about looks over actual performance. :facepalm:
Indeed. I don't recall ever seeing a post about anyone ever needing more braking power in the rear, it's always about appearance.

aerok

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Premium Tremec 3160 Torsen 3.73 Diff
I am also looking for rear brakes, in my mind, if I upgrade rears will help braking distances and yes the appearance will get a boost...

Brembo made the GT rear which according to the page video, it will work with OEM fitment.
But the price is insane ~5k just the rears!

https://www.americanmuscle.com/brembo-gt-rear-brake-kit-drilled-red-2015gt.html

For that price you can get the full setup from Ford Performance GT350R's. Downsize you have to spend a lot of money for new wheels and tires to clear them

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
I am also looking for rear brakes, in my mind, if I upgrade rears will help braking distances and yes the appearance will get a boost...
Most of your braking ability comes from your front brakes, due to weight transfer the rears aren't able to contribute much and the stock rears are more than enough for the job. Your braking distances are primarily limited by your tires' ability to grip the ground under hard braking. Bigger rear calipers will do exactly nothing to improve your stopping distance.
Yes, you can upgrade to the Shelby parts, and yes, you'll need to upgrade your wheels and tires too. The wheel and tire upgrade isn't only to clear the bigger brake components, the bigger, stickier tires also allow you to see an improvement in brake performance.
If you're really looking for shorter stopping distances you're going to need the whole package. Technically, a tire upgrade alone will do more to improve braking performance than changing your rear calipers.
OTOH, some people are so worried about appearance that they'll spend big bucks on brakes and then cheap out on the tires so they actually end up with poorer performance.
Decide if you are really worried about a couple feet of stopping distance or if you are more interested in looks. Unless your car is primarily a track toy, I can't see it being worth it. If your car is a track toy, you already knew all of the above.
Sponsored