Sponsored

Reality finally set in,,,,.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't know about Wal-Mart, but I know plenty of people who work well into their '80's -- generally hyper-driven finance and business types who have worked 16 hour days 7 days a week for their entire lives and are not about to stop now just because they're older. I mean, Warren Buffett is 84. There are a lot of people out there I know who plan to drop dead at their desk.
We had an engineer at my work that stayed into his 80s. When the job is fun, why retire? I hope I feel that way at that age (and have the opportunity). I would sit around too much if I retired.
Sponsored

dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Conv V6 4.0; 2016 BMW 340i
Max, I'm not sure of the extent of your financial situation. You mention you have three cars. Sell one or two of them? I assume it is just you and your wife. If a bad financial situation arises as you mentioned, you could sell the Mustang GT. At least you can enjoy the car and life. If kept in stock and good condition, Mustangs don't depreciate a lot. This new Mustang is fun...

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
I don't know about Wal-Mart, but I know plenty of people who work well into their '80's -- generally hyper-driven finance and business types who have worked 16 hour days 7 days a week for their entire lives and are not about to stop now just because they're older. I mean, Warren Buffett is 84. There are a lot of people out there I know who plan to drop dead at their desk.
Or my Grad school professors. When I went to grad school, the Chem department looked like a geritol convention. Most of those professors are still "teaching" right now, SIXTEEN years later!!!

One prof in mind, I was the TA, and once in awhile, I wanted to run up and take his pulse when he paused for a long time because he was so old. While describing the cellular respiration, he said, "this is the part where lots of energy is released... It's like when Popeye eats his spinach". A college student turned to his friend and said, "Dude, what's a popeye?" he is STILL teaching!

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
Yeah,,,. There's a very good, almost definite possibility that we won't be getting a Mustang after all,,. You know that old scenario of the Devil on one shoulder and the Angel on the other? Well, in this case it was Desire on one side vs. Reason on the other.

This Mustang was supposed to be a retirement or "Last Fling" send off for us. But now that cooler heads are prevailing, spending almost $40,000.00 for a toy really doesn't make financial sense when you're heading for a fixed income in retirement. And it's not that we 'need' a new car. The three vehicles we have are all in perfect condition and are all paid for. We're basically debt free and are trying to keep a decent amount squirreled away for unforeseen future problems. (that always seem to pop up when you least expect them.)

So,,, with all that said, I'll continue to visit this forum and experience the thrill of the new Mustang, through all of your threads and posts! Enjoy that fantastic car!
Very smart!!! Once you get into your retirement and if things are going good then you can always get one. It's always easier to get one than to try and get rid of one because you can't afford it.

Enjoy retirement...I cant wait!!! I can retire from the military in 3 years...:cheers:

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Obviously it can be any job, I was referring to the Walmart part (and there are people who are forced out and still want to work, so they sometimes have to take the Walmart spot).

But you bring up an interesting point. Part of the jobs issue is that there are many people past retirement age still working (a good many) that are taking up jobs that younger generations need. Obviously some need the $ that are old but many don't need the job and still work, taking a job from a younger person. It's actually somewhat of a problem and so are double dippers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Max57

Max57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 1957 Chevy BelAir
Per another thread there are already USED 2015 Mustangs on Cars.com
Would never be interested in a used Mustang. We would always want one that we ordered with our specific options & color. It just wouldn't be the same,,,.

can't take the money when you die.
Sure I can! A custom Mausoleum, a gold lined casket with a built in stereo playing 50s & early 60s music, lol. Just kidding. But ya never know what large expenses might pop up which may require that extra money which was spent on an unnecessary car.

That's what my GF would say. I personally think money for travel might as well be poured down the drain. I'd much rather have a fun car that I will use every day than have a couple day experience that is here and gone in virtually a wink of an eye.
I couldn't agree with you more! We have NO plans on extensive traveling. The most we'll do is take day trips here in Virginia and the neighboring states.

We had an engineer at my work that stayed into his 80s. When the job is fun, why retire? I hope I feel that way at that age (and have the opportunity). I would sit around too much if I retired.
I've been in the computer field for more years then I care to remember. At this point,,, I'm SICK of computers and the IT field!!!!

Max, I'm not sure of the extent of your financial situation. You mention you have three cars. Sell one or two of them? I assume it is just you and your wife. If a bad financial situation arises as you mentioned, you could sell the Mustang GT. At least you can enjoy the car and life. If kept in stock and good condition, Mustangs don't depreciate a lot. This new Mustang is fun...
We were planning on trading one in (2008 Subaru Forester) and selling the
little guy (1997 Honda DelSol). But even doing that, it's still hard to justify taking out the balance for the Mustang, as we definitely do not want a car payment!

Nice try guys, lol. :D Even once my wife sees this thread, I don't even think she'll be convinced to order. :paddle:

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
I am not retired but it is in my future. This will be my last car purchased before retiring, thinking about how long I keep cars. It is because I have always driven sedans to drive my children around----admittedly, all had manual transmissions----I now want my Mustang. My children have there own cars. If ever we need to go more than the 2 of us, we can take my wife's car

Pokergeneg

POKERGENE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gene
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO
In a couple of mos I will be 73 and my only income is military retirement/social
security; my GT Premium CO Auto 401A 50 yr pk 3.55 NAV finally arrive at the
dealer on 12/10/14 and I paid it off right then and there. My trade-in was a 1996
Mustang V-6 base which I had as my DD for 18 yrs/3 mos. I said to heck with it
and treated myself to the best for once in my life. "I may date a Plain Jane but I
will never drive one".

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
That's what my GF would say. I personally think money for travel might as well be poured down the drain. I'd much rather have a fun car that I will use every day than have a couple day experience that is here and gone in virtually a wink of an eye.
I don't ever plan on retiring (I'm one of those work-'til-I-die types), but I would totally love to travel -- when I think about my fondest memories, it's of things like seeing the canals of St. Petersburg or the Hagia Sofia in Istanbul or Angkor Wat or drinking Guiness out of the taps in Dublin. The moments are fleeting, but the memories definitely last you the rest of your life. Conversely, I don't really have fond memories of the big television that I bought or any other physical things.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I wouldn't say that's accurate. There are many older individuals that like to work and stay busy and being there at Walmart gives them not only that, but also allows them to interact with people they probably would never see and keeps them 'in the world'.
I think the key statement there was NEED to work at Walmart into your 80s. Obviously if someone wanted to do it that is another story, but having to do it because you have no other finances and need to make ends meet is sad business.

Chris

Sponsored

jaja6009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No s550 yet :(
Yeah,,,. There's a very good, almost definite possibility that we won't be getting a Mustang after all,,. You know that old scenario of the Devil on one shoulder and the Angel on the other? Well, in this case it was Desire on one side vs. Reason on the other.

This Mustang was supposed to be a retirement or "Last Fling" send off for us. But now that cooler heads are prevailing, spending almost $40,000.00 for a toy really doesn't make financial sense when you're heading for a fixed income in retirement. And it's not that we 'need' a new car. The three vehicles we have are all in perfect condition and are all paid for. We're basically debt free and are trying to keep a decent amount squirreled away for unforeseen future problems. (that always seem to pop up when you least expect them.)

So,,, with all that said, I'll continue to visit this forum and experience the thrill of the new Mustang, through all of your threads and posts! Enjoy that fantastic car!
You gotta do what makes best financial sense for you. In the end its still just a car.

I am in limbo if I am getting one.
Work is iffy right now. We are in contract talks and there is a possibility of major pay cuts across the board. So I have been saving money like crazy. In the end if the major cuts dont happen or they are minor I will have alot of cash saved and get the car. Probably pay cash for it. But if the paycuts do happen, then I wont be getting the car, but at least I will have cash to get me through. Tis life.
If I knew about the possible pay cuts before hand, I would not have sold my blown 05 GT and would at least have a car to race. Tis life.

Good luck!

Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
15 OW Base GT/PP/Recarros,Built STI,Built Jeep JK
Definately not something Id lose sleep over, bud. You have a few years over me. Even at 44, I've come to understand big purchases are either meant to be or not. And chalk it up as that. I'm sure you're there too.

A year from now another ride could grab your attention or you could be in the driver seat of a new Mustang.

Either way, it sounds like you made the best decision for now.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I think the key statement there was NEED to work at Walmart into your 80s. Obviously if someone wanted to do it that is another story, but having to do it because you have no other finances and need to make ends meet is sad business.

Chris
Yah, hopefully no one has to do that, but obviously there are.

Wvmike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP
Yeah,,,. There's a very good, almost definite possibility that we won't be getting a Mustang after all,,.

This Mustang was supposed to be a retirement or "Last Fling" send off for us. But now that cooler heads are prevailing, spending almost $40,000.00 for a toy really doesn't make financial sense when you're heading for a fixed income in retirement.

I'm in the same time of life as you and spent some time in the same line of thought. I just came to a different conclusion. I've denied myself and saved most of my life. I decided to enjoy my remaining years. The 57 is beautiful. I'm sure it's worth much more than the Mustang anyway.