Sponsored

Rattle like noise above glove box?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Tonight after crossing some train tracks which had a few bumps, nothing major, I started hearing a rattling noise coming from the area around the glove box or just above it (maybe the aluminum trim piece). Everything is snapped into place and secure. Has anyone had any issues like this? How can it be fixed if everything is already secured correctly? It wasn't anything in the glove box or the air vent. The sound is almost like small bb's rattling around in a plastic container. It's annoying. :doh:
Sponsored

1024GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My does it too ...I put some foam tape where the glove door sits but I think its coming back. Very annoying

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Tap on the passenger side A-pillar plastic where it meets windshield, does it make the noise you are hearing?

Tap on the passenger side upper dash pod (the hump over the glove box), do you hear the noise?

The top of the dash that contains the light sensor in the middle, that full length of "vented" plastic that goes from the driver side A-pillar to the passenger side A-pillar will also make a rattle noise in each corner where it meets dash or a-pillar. I've asked on the forums here for anyone who can tell me how that strip can be removed to isolate the f'n rattles, so far no one has said or demonstrated HOW to remove it to put something under it to kill the rattle.

The a-pillar can be taken off and felt can be placed over the a-pillar metal and on the opposite side of the a-pillar plastic to stop that from rattling.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My does it too ...I put some foam tape where the glove door sits but I think its coming back. Very annoying
That seems to be the general area where this noise is coming from. I'll have to have someone drive with me tomorrow in the passenger seat to see if they can isolate the noise.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tap on the passenger side A-pillar plastic where it meets windshield, does it make the noise you are hearing?

Tap on the passenger side upper dash pod (the hump over the glove box), do you hear the noise?

The top of the dash that contains the light sensor in the middle, that full length of "vented" plastic that goes from the driver side A-pillar to the passenger side A-pillar will also make a rattle noise in each corner where it meets dash or a-pillar. I've asked on the forums here for anyone who can tell me how that strip can be removed to isolate the f'n rattles, so far no one has said or demonstrated HOW to remove it to put something under it to kill the rattle.

The a-pillar can be taken off and felt can be placed over the a-pillar metal and on the opposite side of the a-pillar plastic to stop that from rattling.
I'm thinking it's the chrome trim right above the glove box, the piece that travels the length of the dash that the middle air vents are in. As I was driving if I reached over an put some pressure on that trim piece the noise seemed to disappear. I guess I can pop it loose in that area, snap it back in, and see if that helps. I don't think it's from the vented dash trim, it seems to be lower, either around the glove box or on the door. I actually thought it was the smaller speakers in the door, right near the lock buttons making a chattering noise at first. If I can't figure it out tomorrow I'll probably just let the dealer figure it out since it's still under warranty. It's just annoying because it came out of nowhere and is very noticeable.

Sponsored

HavasuCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Base, Competition Orange
My right side rattle across harsh roads is caused by the inner panel behind the passenger inside door release lever.

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
Well I thought the rattle I had was coming from there. Turned out it was the trim ground effect piece running along the side of the car (black plastic trim). I did go over a kerb and while it looked like no damage it had been slightly crushed so it rattled over 30 mph. Still got to fix it but some foam stuffed in has stopped it.
Just saying it really sounded like it was the glove box area but was something completely different.

OracleHCR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Otis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP1, Mag, AE
I thought a rattle was coming from that area. It is only during acceleration that I can hear it. It turns out that it is the rear view mirror. Try holding the right side edge of the mirror and see if that stops the rattle.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone. I went around and pushed in all the interior pieces in that area which all seemed secure already, then re-organized the stuff in the glove box which could cause a rattle sound. It appears like the sound is gone...for now. However I am getting a noise from the back seat area now, but I'll try to figure that one out another day since it isn't as annoying.
Sponsored