Sponsored

Ram air hood for super charger cooling

Cheatham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, Iconic Silver, Perf.Pack. 6 spd
Don’t see much info on how well a ram air hood helps to cool down the top of the super charger while driving, any advice on this?
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What you're thinking of is a hood vent directly over where the supercharger is to let hot air escape thus cooling everything. Look at what the GT500 is doing.

The hood area is a low pressure zone, so air doesn't get "rammed in" but it escapes, so use that to your advantage. If you tried to ram in air on top of the hood, it would fight with the air trying to escape naturally and not work well.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I have the Anderson hood that has two vents similar to stock and then an scoop with rear exits. I couldn't tell you if it cools better, but that was my thoughts when I looked at it. I wanted underwood pressure to be able to escape and hopefully cool better than the stock hood.

OP
OP

Cheatham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, Iconic Silver, Perf.Pack. 6 spd
I have the Anderson hood that has two vents similar to stock and then an scoop with rear exits. I couldn't tell you if it cools better, but that was my thoughts when I looked at it. I wanted underwood pressure to be able to escape and hopefully cool better than the stock hood.
The stock hood as it is with the insulation is rt up against the super charger lid so that definitely doesn’t help circulate air. Of course hot air rises and exiting from the hood vents make sense but it also brings with it hotter air from headers and the engine itself so it not doing much for cooling the charger itself, that’s why I was wondering about a ram air option which does have extra vents for releasing extra airflow

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
The Anderson hood is raised a bit as well, so there would be an air gap. The scoop is open, and it has exits in the back as well so I'd assume more air is escaping than the stock hood.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Of course hot air rises and exiting from the hood vents make sense but it also brings with it hotter air from headers and the engine itself so it not doing much for cooling the charger itself
You're overthinking this...the hot air from the headers is there regardless of what's above the supercharger. Think of which of these 2 scenarios you want:

1 - closed hood, all of the hot air from the supercharger and headers rises up and gets blocked by the hood trapping it all in the engine bay and essentially creating a well sealed oven for your components

2- open hood vent, all of the hot air from the supercharger and headers rises up and goes right out into the atmosphere at the same time drawing more cool air from under the car

Think of it another way...try baking a turkey in an oven with the oven door wide open. Do you think it will cook just as fast as having the oven door closed?

One more thing to add...supercharger cooling is mainly done by the coolant circulated within. Sure venting the hood will help cool it somewhat, but you'll make a bigger difference in cooling by increasing coolant capacity and the heat exchanger in front of the car.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Water transfers heat energy over 30 times more effectively than air (depending on certain factors). You're much better off trying to improve the efficiency across the heat exchanger. Secondly, you don't want to ram air into anywhere but the front. It's most effective there because it's taking on the air stream most directly, any other inlets would simply go contra to flushing heat OUT of the engine bay. You want a vent on the hood to do this, fed from the front to continue pushing airflow and heat along with the entire slip stream of the vehicle.

Ram air systems can work MODERATELY well for providing air flow positive pressure into the filter/intake. For cooling, you want it from the front, grabbing heat and exiting the hood/low pressure zone. You don't even want it exiting the bottom of the car.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
You'll need a cowl induction hood w/ at least a 6" rise. You'll move stupid amounts of cold air into the engine bay.
Sponsored