MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Looks like I'll have to order those!

I actually used Ethos Dry & Seal yesterday, what terrible product. Too thick, too smeary and doesn't spread very well. It's on my list of products to purge in the near future.

IMG-7927.jpg
Resist is a really good product as well, I use it as the topper for my coating but you can also use it as a standalone spray coating. Since it’s applied like any other spray coating (spray, wipe with one towel then buff with a second), I don’t think it would make the best drying aid. I did get a spot on my car from not wiping and buffing effectively (I was able to fix it by reapplying product to that area) which is another reason I probably wouldn’t use it as a drying aid.

I do love the two detail sprays as drying aids though. Would highly recommend

IMG_2155.jpeg
Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Brian Spitler over at Apex Detail in PA has his own line of products. He used to have a sheeting product, not sure if he still does.
I bought and recently tried KCx Protector Wax, its similar to Nano Magic minus the soap portion, KCx says it has a "Lotus Effect" whatever that means. Put it in my foam canon and sprayed on at the end of the wash. It definiltely has interesting water behavior, the beading action was much larger beads and not the real tight ones the Gyeon Can Coat I have under it is known for. Was easier to blow the water off as well with the blower cause it sheeted a lot easier. I however like the really tight beads so next wash I used a high PH foam and pretty much washed it off and went back with the Gyeon Ceramic detailer to restore the tight beads :).

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
What I have never understood is why in the world people want a product that causes beading. It’s rather infuriating that the water doesn’t sheet off which would reduce drying effort and prevent every drop from collecting dust, pollen and leaving hard water spots if it rains. I can’t be the only person who has thought this….but it just blows me away MFGs have not tried this. Maybe there is some limitation I’m not aware of….but everyone seems to want beading for some reason. Am I just nuts? If not I give full permission for someone to steal the idea and market it as long as it really works. I’ve seen some graphene coatings marketed this way but that is a very different product.

Nice write up!
This one says it sheets. Never used it so I have no idea. But it’s cheap enough that it might be worth a shot

https://www.malcoautomotive.com/ext... Spray is a spray,and easily sheets off water.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
D: I used Adam's Detail Spray for a good while but on dry vehicles, not as a drying aid. The Metrovac precludes using a drying spray as it gets 99 percent of the H20 off. I think I still have a gallon or more somewhere but haven't used it since you turned me on to Reload and Elixir.

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Thanks for the super detailed explanations DFB5. People like you with your knowledge and expertise make great forums like this even better.

Im admiring those mercury spray bottles and have a few of them in my amazon cart, along with a gallon of that Beadmaker for my final drying after air cannoning….

Thanks for the info…. Lol i never never in my life thought id spend 16$ for a spray bottle…

ive been using technicians choice as my drying agent, it seems to work pretty well but i am always open for improvements.

what are your thoughts on the technicians choice ceramic detail spray? It seems to go on and look pretty good imo.

I started using it as my dryer after watching some youtube vids, i think joshv and his car washing techniques

Im going to change to beadmaker for my next detailing…

Again great thread with tons of info! Thanks!
IMG_3149.jpeg
IMG_7455.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
What I have never understood is why in the world people want a product that causes beading. It’s rather infuriating that the water doesn’t sheet off which would reduce drying effort and prevent every drop from collecting dust, pollen and leaving hard water spots if it rains. I can’t be the only person who has thought this….but it just blows me away MFGs have not tried this. Maybe there is some limitation I’m not aware of….but everyone seems to want beading for some reason. Am I just nuts? If not I give full permission for someone to steal the idea and market it as long as it really works. I’ve seen some graphene coatings marketed this way but that is a very different product.

Nice write up!
After listening to a recent podcast this morning, I may have the product for you.

Opti-Coat - Hyper Seal | The Rag Company

Optimum Hyper Seal was originally designed as a topper to Opti-Coat coatings. The chemist was insistent on not masking the qualities of the coating itself, so while the product provides a boost in gloss and helps maintain the coating, it doesn't alter the hydrophobic qualities of the base layer coating.

This is important to note because Hyper Seal doesn't bead water, so when used as a standalone, you will get water sheeting rather than beading. It will provide excellent gloss enhancement, while protecting the paint from contaminants and UV damage. Durability is said to be out to and beyond 1 year.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thanks for the super detailed explanations DFB5. People like you with your knowledge and expertise make great forums like this even better.

Im admiring those mercury spray bottles and have a few of them in my amazon cart, along with a gallon of that Beadmaker for my final drying after air cannoning….

Thanks for the info…. Lol i never never in my life thought id spend 16$ for a spray bottle…

ive been using technicians choice as my drying agent, it seems to work pretty well but i am always open for improvements.

what are your thoughts on the technicians choice ceramic detail spray? It seems to go on and look pretty good imo.

I started using it as my dryer after watching some youtube vids, i think joshv and his car washing techniques

Im going to change to beadmaker for my next detailing…

Again great thread with tons of info! Thanks!
We don't get Technician's Choice in Australia, so I have no experience with it. The Ceramic Detail Spray seems to get good review.

I think you may find Bead Maker won't have the durability of TC product, but that's not really important if you are using it as a drying aid.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I wish I could plug all the info you have into my head just like in the Matrix movie. @DFB5.0

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I have been SO busy with the construction of a new deck for at least the last two months and of course, it's been in an oven. My poor Sarah sits calmly in the garage, still dusty from the last drive a month or so previous but at least she's on the CTEK and I think the doors are locked. (GT500 thing with large battery drain while parked. Apparently, locking somehow reduces the drain.)

BUT, I THINK about having a "makeover day" soon, although my contractor and I have to get this job done soon as I'm running out of a steam. ;-)

A couple shots of where we are which is the final stretch where we'll spray two coats of cedar sealer on all the exposed lumber this week and when the remainder of the sealer order arrives, we'll finish it off.

1694417811864.png

1694417845864.png

1694417877358.png

1694417911898.png

1694417936277.png

1694417958248.png

When we're finished, the pool guys will show up to resurface the pool and the kool deck and that will complete a project that began in November of last year.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I have been SO busy with the construction of a new deck for at least the last two months and of course, it's been in an oven. My poor Sarah sits calmly in the garage, still dusty from the last drive a month or so previous but at least she's on the CTEK and I think the doors are locked. (GT500 thing with large battery drain while parked. Apparently, locking somehow reduces the drain.)

BUT, I THINK about having a "makeover day" soon, although my contractor and I have to get this job done soon as I'm running out of a steam. ;-)

A couple shots of where we are which is the final stretch where we'll spray two coats of cedar sealer on all the exposed lumber this week and when the remainder of the sealer order arrives, we'll finish it off.

1694417811864.png

1694417845864.png

1694417877358.png

1694417911898.png

1694417936277.png

1694417958248.png

When we're finished, the pool guys will show up to resurface the pool and the kool deck and that will complete a project that began in November of last year.
Looks great KB!

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550

1694417811864.png

1694417845864.png

1694417877358.png

1694417911898.png

1694417936277.png

1694417958248.png

Avatar friends coming over for the pool warming? :clap:

Pics please sir 🙏

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Looks great KB!
Thanks, Mark.

Pics please sir
If you insist. :-)

All: We had some time in the shade yesterday taping off all the electrical and tarping the floor.

Then, we broke out the sealer, loaded the sprayer, and off we went. Nelson would spray a small section and I would follow up with a long roller to get any drips or runs. The outside with the rafter ends was slow going and we only got a couple three sections done on the outside. Problem is the sealer is very thin and tends to runs with even the slightest bit of extra product.

By then it was around 1700 and we called it a day. However, a problem surfaced. UPS damaged the next shipment of sealer and it took me three hours on the phone, most of it on hold, to get it re-ordered and of course, that accrues the shipping delay and the next one won't be here for a week. So, I guess we'll have a few days off until next Wednesday.

Meanwhile, a few images from yesterday...

Setting up...

1694506797262.png

This is as far as we got yesterday...

1694507024289.png

1694507101266.png

We'll get the rest of the outside finished today (I hope,) and that will use up the sealer we have and we'll have to wait until next Wednesday to continue..GD UPS!

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Update on the deck project..

Once again it was mowing day and I got out early so I could finish in time to help Nelson with the sealer. Unfortunately, we were down to the last can but he was able to finish all the outside, the soffits, and the columns leaving only the interior and ceiling.

I have five more gallons coming Monday and two more on Thursday which hopefully will be enough. I figure at least two full days to spray the rest, possibly three. The sealer is so thin that is runs easily so we have to come back with paint spatula and smooth things out which is a bit time-consuming not to mention hard on your neck and shoulders.

So by the time I finished mowing, Nelson was hard at work spraying soffits and columns and didn't really need any help. So, I elected to put multiple coats on the cut ends of the FIFTY-SIX rafter ends! Talk about a major PITA. I had to climb up on a foot stool holding a small roller tray full of sealer with two spreader tools AND in 25k gusts. It was dicey for sure but luckily, I never dropped the tray. <laughing> It took a couple hours at least and by the time I finished, I was wasted but at least, the most weather-susceptible part of the deck, the cut rafter ends, are thoroughly protected.

A few shots of the progress so far...

Mowing wasn't TOO bad in the 97 degree temperature thanks to a stiff breeze. Got her done in record time, too.

1694865031499.png

1694865122775.png

1694865155930.png

1694865179033.png

amkr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prado, Volkswagen Passat
@DFB5.0 I was watching an older video from Sandro this evening on Bead Maker, in his testing it didn't perform all that well. He seemed to prefer just about everything else he tested over Bead Maker.

It has me thinking I should switch out my Bead Maker for Nova Boost instead and use the Bead Maker for... something else.

It looks like you're a fan of Bead Maker, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Sponsored