Sponsored

Quick Detailer’s, Detail Sprays, Drying Aids & Spray Sealants

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I came across a question recently regarding how a Quick Detailer compares to Drying Aid. At first, I thought that was an easy question to answer, but in reality, it’s more complex than you would expect.

apr223.jpg

The use of a Drying Aid became a thing about 10-15 years ago, a term used to describe a product used to provide lubrication while towel drying your car, in theory reducing the possibility of micro marring and “love marks”. This process is relatively universal, in that you spray the product onto the paint before you start wiping with the towel. The side bonus is you also improve the gloss and, in some cases, the protection as well. While the process is universal, what product you use is where people tend to get hung up.

IMG-0888.jpg

So, what can be used as drying aids? Well, within reason, any high-lubrication liquid can be used, be that a Spray Wax, Spray Sealant, Quick Detailer or Detail Spray. So, the question is, how do these differ, and why would you use one over the other.

Note: there is a lot of mixed interpretation as to what categorizes some of these products. Some products are pure spray waxes, some are a blend of wax and polymers, some are Si02 based, some are Polymers with some Si02 added. I'll try and put products into what I consider them to be, but that can be fluid.

Quick Detailers / Detail Sprays –

These products have been used for decades but have sort of gone out of fashion in recent times. For most part, a Quick Detailer will provide the necessary lubrication for use as a drying aid or clay lubricant. They also have some mild cleaning ability to deal with light dust and fingerprints. The result is a slick, high gloss finish. You will also find Quick Detailers supremely easy to use, with little to no streaking, and can be used on all surfaces, from paint to glass to trim. Often accompanied by a sweet, fruity scent.

IMG_9411.jpg

However, the effect is short lived. In general, a Quick Detailer will be removed at the next wash or when it rains. That lack of longevity is why I think Quick Detailers have been shunned for Spray Sealants in recent years. This can be good or bad depending on how you like to detail. Let’s face it, most enthusiast detailers have so many layers of “protection” already on their car that it really doesn’t matter if the product washes off. In fact, that can be a good thing as it can prevent excessive build up and streaking caused by the “protection for the protection for the protection” phenomenon. In fact, it can be good practice to alternate your drying aid between a QD and the more trendy Spray Sealants.

IMG-2080.jpg

I actually really like using Quick Detailers, they are so easy to work with and deliver the gloss, slickness and lubrication that I’m aiming for. If it’s removed at the next wash, who cares, I’m going to be replacing it when I dry the car anyway.

All detailing brands offer some form of Quick Detailer, and to be frank, they are hard to screw up. So, pick one you like the smell of and go for it. I really, really like P&S Paint Gloss, but have used a number of Quick Detailers over the years including Meguiar’s Final Inspection, Meguiar’s Last Touch, Stjarnagloss Silke and Bowden’s Boss Gloss.

Spray Wax –

These were all the rage in the 90’s and early 2000’s and dominated by brands like Meguiar’s, Turtle Wax and Mothers. In general, these are runny liquid waxes that provide some short-term protection, while providing excellent lubrication and slickness.

IMG_9426.jpg

For me, Spray Waxes are the hardest to use of all potential drying aids. I have always found them "stickier" underneath the towel and more prone to streaking. Some of the older products were not multi-surface compatible, meaning you would likely cause staining on rubber trim. Also, Spray Waxes don’t play well with ceramic coatings, delivering a smeary, greasy appearance.

IMG-3407.jpg

I have used a few Spray Waxes over the years, but none of them I truly loved. These days, a lot of Spray Waxes are now blended with Si02, in theory to improve longevity and user experience. Of the ones I have tried, they still have that slight tacky feel during application, which in turn requires a little more attention to get a streak free finish. The only standout to me would be Carpro ECH20, the wax adding lubrication, while the Si02 providing the gloss. Carpro Release is nice too.

IMG-7688.jpg

IMG_7383.jpg

Spray Wax examples include Optimum Car Wax, Meguiar’s Quick Wax, Turtle Wax Express Shine.

Hybrid Waxes include Ethos Dry & Seal, Carpro ECH20 and Carpro Release.

Spray Sealants –

This is where it gets tricky because there are soooo many interpretations as to what a Spray Sealant is. Very loosely explained, there are two basic variations here, Polymer or Synthetic Sealants, and Si02 (ceramic) Spray Sealants. In both cases, you are adding protection to the car when using these as drying aids, the products cross linking and bonding to the paint or existing LSP. This aspect also means they can be used as standalone protection. While a Spray Wax drying aid is not always compatible with a ceramic coating, a polymer or Si02 Spray Sealant will pair well with existing waxes, sealants and ceramic coatings. Like a Quick Detailer, they can also be used across all surfaces, paint/glass/rubber/plastic/chrome.

IMG_9422.jpg

The downside to these products is the above mentioned “protection for the protection” problem, where excessive use can build up and cause streaking over time. Also, these products have been known to clog up towels if not laundered straight after a detailing session. In both cases, these issues are easily dealt with.

Examples of polymer sealants would include P&S Bead Maker, Obsessed Garage Drying Aid, Adam’s Slick & Slide.

IMG-5474.jpg

Examples of Si02 spray sealants include Carpro EliXir, P&S Defender, NV Boost v2, Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Detailer, Gyeon Ceramic Detailer, Shine Supply Punch It.

IMG-6482.jpg

Conclusions -

No product here is a wrong choice, they all lead to the same goal, taking a slightly different path to get there. In which case, you are choosing between specific "feel" when applying.

The phrase "chose something you like and use it often" rings true here. Find that product that works for your method of drying, that product you enjoy using, that product that makes you go WOW!

Despite having a cabinet full of different products, there are a few I return to the most here. Bead Maker is one of them, easily the slickest, glossiest things you can put on your paint. Longevity is minimal, but who cares. OG Drying Aid delivers that added longevity with nearly the same gloss and slickness and an easier application. NV Boost v2 is great too, as is the excellent Meguiar's HCD (stupid RRP though), I would dare say it's Meguiar's best product. I also love using P&S Paint Gloss, so easy to work with and a great fragrance.

https://detailingshed.com.au/produc...1&_sid=1de6e87ac&_ss=r&variant=18494712414265
https://detailingshed.com.au/products/obsessed-garage-drying-aid?_pos=1&_sid=3e36ab342&_ss=r
https://www.waxit.com.au/products/nv-boost-v2?_pos=1&_psq=boost&_ss=e&_v=1.0&variant=40116450164825
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/meguiars-meguiars-hybrid-ceramic-detailer-768ml/593526.html
https://detailingshed.com.au/products/p-s-paint-gloss?_pos=4&_sid=e3feba880&_ss=r

feb21163.jpg

IMG-2875.jpg

IMG-4456.jpg

IMG-4395.jpg

IMG-1701.jpg
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Once again...

WOW!

D, you are truly amazing and your memory of products is unbelievable. How you can keep them all sorted and characterized in your head is beyond me. Heck, I have to stop and think before I grab a spray bottle. <laughing> Now, that's mainly because I fail to label the bottles but also because my memory sticks are departing the pattern. <BSEG>

But you answered a question about ceramic sprays that I've had for a long time. Too bad I still have a gallon+ of Last Touch from way back. I like Elixir and will stick with it.

Lastly, where do you get the RED Mercury bottles? <smile>

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Once again...

WOW!

D, you are truly amazing and your memory of products is unbelievable. How you can keep them all sorted and characterized in your head is beyond me. Heck, I have to stop and think before I grab a spray bottle. <laughing> Now, that's mainly because I fail to label the bottles but also because my memory sticks are departing the pattern. <BSEG>

But you answered a question about ceramic sprays that I've had for a long time. Too bad I still have a gallon+ of Last Touch from way back. I like Elixir and will stick with it.

Lastly, where do you get the RED Mercury bottles? <smile>
My memory bank is full of plant names, detailing products and car specs. Probably explains why I can't remember people's names or birthdays. :facepalm:

I still have a quantity of Megs Last Touch that rarely gets used now, not because it's a bad product, rather I prefer Paint Gloss. The Megs Final Inspection was the very first product I used as a drying aid, but then relegated it to my clay lubricant. I like that it leaves no residue or polymers behind, helpful when you are attempting to decontaminate/strip the paint prior to polishing.

In both cases, I'll get through them eventually, they make good general surface cleaners for tool boxes, benches ect.

The local Kwazar distributor, Waxit, sells four different colors of the 500- and 1000-ml Mercury 360 bottles; red, green, yellow and blue.

Get Kwazar Mercury Super 360 Pro | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

From memory, the blue ones were originally the only color sold in the US. However, I found red at the following -

Kwazar Mercury Pro Spray Bottle (autogeek.net)
Archive - Kwazar Mercury Pro + Double-Action Spray Bottles - WolfgangCarCare.com
Kwazar Mercury Pro for sale | eBay
Kwazar Bottles & Spray Triggers (detailing.com)
Mercury Pro+ 360° Upside-down Sprayer Double Pump Action (500ml, 1L) | CARZILLA

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
You NEVER let a guy down, D..that's a fact. <smiling>

Many thanks for the Mercury links, amigo..Autogeek looks like the place.

So here's a related question...

I only recently noticed the small labels you have on the bottles. What rig are you using for those? I've tried my Brother label maker but the adhesive makes them difficult to remove.

Do you always use the same product in the same bottle? I'm guessing you have that cadre of products that you like and use the most along with a stable of empties for "special purposes" like your legendary posts.

Close?

Blue tape doesn't last so I'm in a quandary. Too many spray bottles and not enough memory cells to remember who lives there. <grinning>

Thanks in advance..

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I only recently noticed the small labels you have on the bottles. What rig are you using for those? I've tried my Brother label maker but the adhesive makes them difficult to remove.

Do you always use the same product in the same bottle? I'm guessing you have that cadre of products that you like and use the most along with a stable of empties for "special purposes" like your legendary posts.
The product's I like most or use a lot of in one go (claying, iron removal, Prep Spray) tend to end up in either Kwarzar or Pressol bottles.

IMG-6143.jpg

The rest end up at the bottom of the cabinet in their original bottles.

IMG_9308.jpg

As for the labels, I was content with hand written until a follower made fun of them, so I thought I had better step up my game. :giggle:

IMG-8181.jpg

dec306.jpg

dec307.jpg

The labeler is a Dymo, which comes with three different label materials. The above pics are with the paper, but I have since re-done them all in the plastic version. I wouldn't say that I love the thing, it just does the job.

DYMO Bundle LetraTag 100H Handheld Label Maker with 3 Bonus Labeling Tapes, Easy-to-Use, Great for Home and Office Organization, Silver : Amazon.com.au: Stationery & Office Products
Dymo LetraTag LT-100H Handheld Label Maker Compatible for 12mm Letra Tag 91201 91200 12267 91202 Label Tapes - AliExpress

I have visions of creating my own labels to cover the Kwazar branding, the label echoing the color of the bottle. A white background with red/green/yellow/blue boarders and lettering. I would do generic labels to allow me to put whatever I want in them, as in "Interior Cleaner" rather than "P&S Express" and so on. I have too much time on my hands.................or not..................:facepalm:

Carpro also make small labels to go on their Dilute bottles, but you could use them elesewhere too.

CARPRO Find My Dilute Sticker Pack - 72pcs (carpro-us.com)

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I liked the P&S products when I used them on my truck. Great products, with great results.
Priced right too.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Nice write up as always D! I’ve pretty much settled on Adam’s Detail Spray and Ethos Finish Shine as my drying aids. Both lubricate well and leave a nice slickness behind. Oh, and they both smell good too 😎

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I liked the P&S products when I used them on my truck. Great products, with great results.
Priced right too.
Unlike a lot of other American detailing products, P&S are very well priced in Australia. And the just "work" if you know what I mean.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
As for the labels..
Based on the size of your labels, I was fairly sure you were using a Dymo rig. Looks like the vinyl labels worked perfectly.

I have a Brother that can do larger labels but only in B&W. I think I still have some clear vinyl label stock so I'm gonna give that a try.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Nice write up as always D! I’ve pretty much settled on Adam’s Detail Spray and Ethos Finish Shine as my drying aids. Both lubricate well and leave a nice slickness behind. Oh, and they both smell good too 😎
Looks like I'll have to order those!

I actually used Ethos Dry & Seal yesterday, what terrible product. Too thick, too smeary and doesn't spread very well. It's on my list of products to purge in the near future.

IMG-7927.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Based on the size of your labels, I was fairly sure you were using a Dymo rig. Looks like the vinyl labels worked perfectly.

I have a Brother that can do larger labels but only in B&W. I think I still have some clear vinyl label stock so I'm gonna give that a try.
The clear tape looks more seamless, as if printed on the bottle instead of a sticker.

IMG-4590.jpg

IMG-2694.jpg

IMG-4036.jpg

Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
21' GT500 - CFTP
What I have never understood is why in the world people want a product that causes beading. It’s rather infuriating that the water doesn’t sheet off which would reduce drying effort and prevent every drop from collecting dust, pollen and leaving hard water spots if it rains. I can’t be the only person who has thought this….but it just blows me away MFGs have not tried this. Maybe there is some limitation I’m not aware of….but everyone seems to want beading for some reason. Am I just nuts? If not I give full permission for someone to steal the idea and market it as long as it really works. I’ve seen some graphene coatings marketed this way but that is a very different product.

Nice write up!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
What I have never understood is why in the world people want a product that causes beading. It’s rather infuriating that the water doesn’t sheet off which would reduce drying effort and prevent every drop from collecting dust, pollen and leaving hard water spots if it rains. I can’t be the only person who has thought this….but it just blows me away MFGs have not tried this. Maybe there is some limitation I’m not aware of….but everyone seems to want beading for some reason. Am I just nuts? If not I give full permission for someone to steal the idea and market it as long as it really works. I’ve seen some graphene coatings marketed this way but that is a very different product.

Nice write up!
Products that "sheet" rather than "bead" are few and far between. I do occasionally come across coatings and sealants that sheet water, but most people like to see water beading, so the manufacturers seem to focus on delivering that. I totally get where you are coming from though.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Nice write up!
Brian Spitler over at Apex Detail in PA has his own line of products. He used to have a sheeting product, not sure if he still does.

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Durango RT
Products that "sheet" rather than "bead" are few and far between. I do occasionally come across coatings and sealants that sheet water, but most people like to see water beading, so the manufacturers seem to focus on delivering that. I totally get where you are coming from though.
Armor-All and Rain-X used to have a car wash like that (probably others) that advertised that it sheeted off well enough that you could let car dry and not leave spots. I tired it in the distant past, and it worked OK but only if the car was super clean to start with.

Hydrophillic surface modification is a thing (I worked on this for home surfaces in the distant past) but hard to pull off on a car. Beading is what people want (new car look) so that is what they get.
Sponsored