Sponsored

Pothole Paranoia-No Spare Tire!

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
If you have the PP go to Americanmuscle or tire rack and get a cheapo full size rim and tire. Idk if it will fit flush in the spare tire well but the solves the clearing the brakes issue.

Americanmuscle has a crapload of rims under $175 that are full size and even in black to match the PP wheels and a 19" rim. It's going to cost you a good $320 or so with the tire but no worry as its a 19x8.5 rim you can run on the front of back comfortably.

Or order the spare kit for about $230 that's a doughnut, but it wont fit the front PP brakes, and it's advised against running it in the rear
Sponsored

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
90% of S550 buyers had the option of ordering the temporary spare tire and for only $195 extra, I can`t fathom why a Dealer or someone doing a Special Order wouldn`t opt for that feature?
They changed the build and price tool. It used to be available only if you got the stock 18" rims. Now it's "optional on all Mustang models". This is why I went with the stock rims at the time I ordered my 'stang

slythetove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Why a Dealership would (not) order the optional spare tire "Donut" and jack on all Stock Vehicles and why anyone wouldn`t Special order it for a mere extra $195 is very puzzling? The potential weight savings and 1 mpg fuel economy worth it?
Those of us with the 20" optional wheels couldn't order it. The order won't allow it.

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
e30og; You made the point on why the "optional" Spare Donut & Jack was not made available on certain Wheel/Tire configurations. 90% of S550 buyers had the option of ordering the temporary spare tire and for only $195 extra, I can`t fathom why a Dealer or someone doing a Special Order wouldn`t opt for that feature?
hell if i know.
i prefer a fullsize anyways

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
OK. One more time. The size of the wheel doesn't matter... exept that the 18" spare won't clear the GT PP. Otherwise it's the diameter of the tire that's important. ALL 2015 Mustangs have approximately 27" tire diameters. (27.0"-27.3"). If you have the non-PP 19" wheels the spare will work with no problem. If you have the 17" wheels the spare will work with no problem. The ONLY time it won't work is the GT-PP and the 20's. No one has come up with the reason it won't work with the 20's though.

BTW, the spare tire, according to another thread, is a 155/60/18 which comes out to a 25.3" diameter so apparently the tire sizes don't have have to be all that close.

Sponsored

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Holy headaches! It's like playin cards with my brothers kids.
Did any of you get taught by your dads when you were 15 on how to change a flat tire? Or how not to get ripped off buying things from a dealership that you can get through your own research, especially since the invention of the Internet.
If your Mustang didn't come with a spare and jack...buy one....half price online.
Next weeks lesson: How to change a smoke detector battery.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
Holy headaches! It's like playin cards with my brothers kids.
Did any of you get taught by your dads when you were 15 on how to change a flat tire? Or how not to get ripped off buying things from a dealership that you can get through your own research, especially since the invention of the Internet.
If your Mustang didn't come with a spare and jack...buy one....half price online.
Next weeks lesson: How to change a smoke detector battery.
Kindly provide the Amazon or Ebay "Link" that shows the OEM Spare Tire and Jack Kit for the 2015 S550 Mustang for less then "half price" compared with the Factory suggested MSRP of $195? Didn`t "your" dad tell you, never look a
gift horse in the mouth? It was a no-brainer for both Dealerships and Retail Special Order Buyers to add this option at the point of Order for Vehicles that allowed the availability of ordering this Kit, that should have been included, I might add, as Standard Equipment to begin with. Just another case of Dealer ordering stupidity and/or Buyers remorse.:crazy:

Last edited:

JayTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
that spare in the link will clear the PP Ecoboost brakes (14" 4-piston fronts) since they are cribbed off the GTs. The OP has an ecoboost if Im not mistaken. fwiw I got a fullsize rim and non-directional all-season as a spare, just in case for trips or bad weather.

I used Ford's fix-a-flat and pump for a flat I had a few months ago and while it worked perfectly and got me on my way, I dont want the cost and headache of dismounting the tire to clean that shit off the rim an tire, otherwise it was out of balance. Also I would at least want some kind of spare wheel in case of a sidewall puncture. The downside is a raised trunk floor, but I dont care because I dont use the trunk much and it still has tons of depth. I actually took the parcel shelf out completely, covered the spare, and just throw shit in/around the spare.
Can you provide a picture of your trunk with the full size spare? I'll probably go this option and just build some spacers for the floor board.

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
ill sell mine from my 14 v6, 200 cash local pickup

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
There are so many "smoked" Mustangs at the bone yards now. Get a spare wheel from there for $100. I am putting my winter tire in the trunk if I can't get a used wheel from the bone yard if we go on a long trip.

Sponsored

dvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
I just priced this up on Tirerack. Would still need to source a jack and lugwrench somewhere. If I could get into a full sized spare for around $300, I'd do it just for peace of mind.

dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Conv V6 4.0; 2016 BMW 340i
OK there are the tire sizes. Now does anyone know why the spare isn't available with the 20" wheels?
This is my same question. I never found a good answer with details.

If you get 20's and no PP (therefore no Brembos), why can't you get the spare tire?