Potential buyer here, question inside

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
Congrats, I think you are going to love the car. As for it not feeling very fast, I really can't understand that, my 2015 GT feels extremely fast to me and I haven't even tried Sport mode yet. It isn't just what I am used to either, I track my cars and have driven some pretty fast cars at high speeds; Vettes, turbo Porsches, M3, etc. Even 2 weeks ago my daughter got me one of those Gotham Dream Car sprints for my birthday and we took out the Gallardo. It honestly didn't impress me so much because I expected it to feel so much faster than my Mustang and really it did't. Nice bonding experience for us though!

My guess is maybe your SS has more of that immediate torque from the turbo, esp if modded, and can feel a lot faster at low speeds? I noticed that with my S2+ GTI, it felt amazingly fast at street legal speeds, but ran out of breath past 60 or so. The Mustang, while not lacking in torque, I think needs some time to get that weight moving.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
Congrats, I think you are going to love the car. As for it not feeling very fast, I really can't understand that, my 2015 GT feels extremely fast to me and I haven't even tried Sport mode yet. It isn't just what I am used to either, I track my cars and have driven some pretty fast cars at high speeds; Vettes, turbo Porsches, M3, etc. Even 2 weeks ago my daughter got me one of those Gotham Dream Car sprints for my birthday and we took out the Gallardo. It honestly didn't impress me so much because I expected it to feel so much faster than my Mustang and really it did't. Nice bonding experience for us though!

My guess is maybe your SS has more of that immediate torque from the turbo, esp if modded, and can feel a lot faster at low speeds? I noticed that with my S2+ GTI, it felt amazingly fast at street legal speeds, but ran out of breath past 60 or so. The Mustang, while not lacking in torque, I think needs some time to get that weight moving.

Thanks. I retracted that statement as of yesterday. I will admit - the first time I drove it the car wasn't feeling nearly as fast as it does now. Just rolled over 172 is miles and it feels great. Clutch is a little tricky as I (personally) feel the window it grabs in is quite short.

Also, we got the same package and color combo. Nice choice!

Last edited:

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I retracted that statement as of yesterday. I will admit - the first time I drove it the car wasn't feeling nearly as fast as it does now. Just rolled over 172 is miles and it feels great. Clutch is a little tricky as I (personally) feel the window it grabs in is quite short.

Also, we got the same package and color combo. Nice choice!
Its a great color, I get compliments (or at least questions about it, they might hate it!) everywhere I go, sets off real nice with the black wheels too. Did you get the base or Premium GT? I got the base but someone at the factory installed leather Recaros and rear seats in my car, so I got a 1/2 premium bonus. I love the car too, it seems very high quality to me, for the price especially. Easily equal to my GTI, and I am betting its more sturdy over the long haul than that car turned out to be.

OP
OP

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its a great color, I get compliments (or at least questions about it, they might hate it!) everywhere I go, sets off real nice with the black wheels too. Did you get the base or Premium GT? I got the base but someone at the factory installed leather Recaros and rear seats in my car, so I got a 1/2 premium bonus. I love the car too, it seems very high quality to me, for the price especially. Easily equal to my GTI, and I am betting its more sturdy over the long haul than that car turned out to be.
Quite jealous of the leather Recaros. I got a base also, really the only thing I'm disappointed in not having are the leather Recaro's and most of all, Sirius XM. You would think that even of a base car at this dollar amount would have that now days. Oh well, Premium buyers need incentive to buy it!

My Cobalt was a fun car but it was time to move on. It was my fourth in the platform and I had enough fun with them doing auto-x and such.

First impressions of the Mustang are great. I have been really happy with what Ford has been doing recently. Trans is easy to rev-match but with my big feet it will take a few days to get use to the heel-toe maneuver, at least with dress shoes that is. Curious what gas mileage will be for the hell of it after break in is done. Thankfully my car passed most of my quality concerns that others have been posting about on this forum regarding body panels and such.

MRT catback exhaust has been ordered already and I'll be doing tint but nothing more for a while after those.

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Quite jealous of the leather Recaros. I got a base also, really the only thing I'm disappointed in not having are the leather Recaro's and most of all, Sirius XM. You would think that even of a base car at this dollar amount would have that now days. Oh well, Premium buyers need incentive to buy it!

My Cobalt was a fun car but it was time to move on. It was my fourth in the platform and I had enough fun with them doing auto-x and such.

First impressions of the Mustang are great. I have been really happy with what Ford has been doing recently. Trans is easy to rev-match but with my big feet it will take a few days to get use to the heel-toe maneuver, at least with dress shoes that is. Curious what gas mileage will be for the hell of it after break in is done. Thankfully my car passed most of my quality concerns that others have been posting about on this forum regarding body panels and such.

MRT catback exhaust has been ordered already and I'll be doing tint but nothing more for a while after those.
I have been averaging a steady 19.5 since I got it, in mixed driving with a decently heavy foot. Over 5 yrs of GTI ownership I averaged 22.5, so not a bad tradeoff for the GT performance.

All I did so far was a 3M clear bra over the entire front of the car, it badly needs protection from rocks and love bugs here in Florida. Great investment I think. I haven't gotten around to tint yet, but that is next. I will be getting an exhaust, waiting to see what the various tuners come up with in combinations with cats and cat-deletes and headers, etc. My gut tells me that it won't make enough difference in power gains to justify the cost of headers and high flow cats, so I will probably end up with a cat-back exhaust, but since I don't have the money to spend just yet anyways it's a good excuse to wait and see. I will have to pick a sound too, that will take a while for me! A guy near my house has a 2013 5.0 that sounds sick, I am planning to run into him somewhere with my car and see what he's got for an exhaust setup.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been averaging a steady 19.5 since I got it, in mixed driving with a decently heavy foot. Over 5 yrs of GTI ownership I averaged 22.5, so not a bad tradeoff for the GT performance.

All I did so far was a 3M clear bra over the entire front of the car, it badly needs protection from rocks and love bugs here in Florida. Great investment I think. I haven't gotten around to tint yet, but that is next. I will be getting an exhaust, waiting to see what the various tuners come up with in combinations with cats and cat-deletes and headers, etc. My gut tells me that it won't make enough difference in power gains to justify the cost of headers and high flow cats, so I will probably end up with a cat-back exhaust, but since I don't have the money to spend just yet anyways it's a good excuse to wait and see. I will have to pick a sound too, that will take a while for me! A guy near my house has a 2013 5.0 that sounds sick, I am planning to run into him somewhere with my car and see what he's got for an exhaust setup.
My Cobalt would generally pull low 30s so thats really the only tradeoff for me with this thing. Making me spend more money now, I planned on a clear bra but it escaped my mind. Thanks.

The MRT H-pipe design sounds great. One thing I noticed with a lot of these exhausts is that they're all raspy.

Two notes:
- Took clutch-assist spring out, we will see how it feels tomorrow.
- Issue with drivers side fog light not staying on. Push fog light button and they both pop on then a second later the drivers side dies. Going to take a minor look tomorrow but considering it has less than 200 miles and I don't feel like working on it yet, probably off to the dealer. Contacted customer support on here also.

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
My Cobalt would generally pull low 30s so thats really the only tradeoff for me with this thing. Making me spend more money now, I planned on a clear bra but it escaped my mind. Thanks.

The MRT H-pipe design sounds great. One thing I noticed with a lot of these exhausts is that they're all raspy.

Two notes:
- Took clutch-assist spring out, we will see how it feels tomorrow.
- Issue with drivers side fog light not staying on. Push fog light button and they both pop on then a second later the drivers side dies. Going to take a minor look tomorrow but considering it has less than 200 miles and I don't feel like working on it yet, probably off to the dealer. Contacted customer support on here also.
So not to quibble or anything here, but did you really AVERAGE low 30s mpg with the Cobalt? I have this ongoing discussion with some friends at work about turbo cars and how they are not really as efficient in real world use as manufacturers claim, at least for the performance cars. My GTI was pretty good on gas at certain times: steady-state, low-mid speeds was the sweet spot, my wife would drive it and average 35+mpg and brag about it. But she drives on 55mph highways with no stops for 20 miles. But 70-80mph highways cut into that a lot (28ish), and stop and go cut into it even more (high teens). It seems that any time you have to get into the turbo the mileage drops dramatically, so the overall lifetime average simply isn't that great.

I track all my mileage and fuel obsessively, and that is where I got the 22.5 average for the GTI, over the entire 5 yrs of ownership, commuting and track days, etc. Even our basic Civic LX with CVT has only averaged 32mpg over the last 2 years we have had it, so low 30s is hard to do for a performance car.

Now the Mustang (granted its only been 5mo) has averaged 19.5 with only me driving it. The best tank I had was 21.5, worst was 18.5. It doesn't seem to fluctuate as much when I get into it, and the acceleration doesn't seem to eat into the averages as much either. I think I am going to see a pretty steady 19 over its lifetime, but I will never see a 30mpg trip either.

Let us know how it works without the clutch assist spring, I am interested!

OP
OP

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha, no worries. Indeed I did. I only measured tank to tank but generally it would sit around 31-32 mpg. On a 65 mph commute from Cleveland, Ohio to Michigan I averaged 36.5 mpg calculated at he pump.

It really does come down to how you drive it.

Took the spring out yesterday and it feels great, really easy to do also. Personally I feel the spring helped far too much. Without the spring in it is the perfect amount of force needed to push it in for my liking.

OP
OP

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats. Happy modding!
Thanks!

That darn strut bar is literally right in the way for the dip-stick, makes it a fun time monitoring the oil in these first few thousand miles.

Anyone come up with a solution for the hood shutting? I believe I read about it somewhere. For mine, and others, you really need to slam it down to shut it. Going to play with the rubber bushings on the weekend.
Sponsored