Sponsored

Poor Sirius reception?

lakeron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 echoboost premieium
Lakeron, was that done as warranty work or did you have to pay them to do that for you? I might have to check into that.
They did under warranty I don't know exactly how they did it but I get reception everywhere now. The 2017 antenna is the fix good luck
Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I can tell the group that "having the 2017 antenna" doesn't fix squat. I have a 2017 with the Sync3 and I get the same random cutting out that everyone else does. I'm in San Antonio, TX. To be fair, when it does cut out, it usually happens around the same general areas. But does NOT happen every time I pass through those areas. Let's call it 50% of the time. BUT keep reading. :D

I also have a 2014 F150 with the tiny 4" non-touch screen and (I think) the original MSFT Sync and Sirius. I have never, EVER lost Sirius signal unless I'm in a tunnel and since 2014 when I bought the truck, I've driven from Brownsville to Arkansas to Mississippi and back multiple times. When I drive the truck, I drive the same roads as I do in my GT and have zero Sirius problems.

I have no other audio-related probs in the GT. FM radio, CDs, USB stick all sound great, no issues. Sirius cuts out randomly. I've not taken it to the Ford dealer yet b/c I know I'm going to get the same BS responses everyone else has gotten. I'll wait until there's a definite fix, then I'll take it in. It's a hardware problem, most likely the antenna.

lakeron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 echoboost premieium
I can tell the group that "having the 2017 antenna" doesn't fix squat. I have a 2017 with the Sync3 and I get the same random cutting out that everyone else does. I'm in San Antonio, TX. To be fair, when it does cut out, it usually happens around the same general areas. But does NOT happen every time I pass through those areas. Let's call it 50% of the time. BUT keep reading. :D

I also have a 2014 F150 with the tiny 4" non-touch screen and (I think) the original MSFT Sync and Sirius. I have never, EVER lost Sirius signal unless I'm in a tunnel and since 2014 when I bought the truck, I've driven from Brownsville to Arkansas to Mississippi and back multiple times. When I drive the truck, I drive the same roads as I do in my GT and have zero Sirius problems.

I have no other audio-related probs in the GT. FM radio, CDs, USB stick all sound great, no issues. Sirius cuts out randomly. I've not taken it to the Ford dealer yet b/c I know I'm going to get the same BS responses everyone else has gotten. I'll wait until there's a definite fix, then I'll take it in. It's a hardware problem, most likely the antenna.
Replacing my antenna worked 100%. I traveled the same road in all three of my cars two worked one did not my BMW and 2017 Lincoln worked my mustang did not I had almost constant signal issues in my mustang for a year now they replaced my antenna and the problem went away on the same route. I drove an additional hour and didn't have a single issue. I'm not saying all issues will be fixed in all cars but it did fix my problem described in several post by me.

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
'16 Owner with great reception but the common lack of Sirius sound quality. I have XM in other vehicles and it's exponentially higher in sound quality.
Thats my problem too. The sound quality is so bad I simply cant stand to listen to it.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Replacing my antenna worked 100%. I traveled the same road in all three of my cars two worked one did not my BMW and 2017 Lincoln worked my mustang did not I had almost constant signal issues in my mustang for a year now they replaced my antenna and the problem went away on the same route. I drove an additional hour and didn't have a single issue. I'm not saying all issues will be fixed in all cars but it did fix my problem described in several post by me.
Maybe my 2017 was built with a 2016 antenna? Definitely possible being that my build month was June 2016. It's easy enough to take it in under warranty but then I will face the dreaded "We can't replicate the issue" BS. I guess your dealer was able to replicate the problem easily enough?

Sponsored

lakeron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 echoboost premieium
Maybe my 2017 was built with a 2016 antenna? Definitely possible being that my build month was June 2016. It's easy enough to take it in under warranty but then I will face the dreaded "We can't replicate the issue" BS. I guess your dealer was able to replicate the problem easily enough?
Yes they were 20 ft from the dealership it started losing the signal and continued while they drove around town. Live in El Paso nothing to block the signal. They changed the antenna on a 16 gt350 also and it fixed that problem also

mitchswy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Oxford White
Yes they were 20 ft from the dealership it started losing the signal and continued while they drove around town. Live in El Paso nothing to block the signal. They changed the antenna on a 16 gt350 also and it fixed that problem also
Did they just replace the part on the roof or did they have to replace everything from the dash back to the roof piece?
I called a local dealer (I took it to them for the same issue) and asked if they would replace the antenna with a 2017 one. They said I would have to jump through the normal hoops for that to happen under warranty. Called Ford, they said to get a second opinion to make sure the dealer has done all they can with what they have. Of course the second dealer is going to see that the reception sucks too. Guess I'll go through the hoops.....

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Did they just replace the part on the roof or did they have to replace everything from the dash back to the roof piece?
I called a local dealer (I took it to them for the same issue) and asked if they would replace the antenna with a 2017 one. They said I would have to jump through the normal hoops for that to happen under warranty. Called Ford, they said to get a second opinion to make sure the dealer has done all they can with what they have. Of course the second dealer is going to see that the reception sucks too. Guess I'll go through the hoops.....
Sorry to hear this. THIS is exactly why I've not brought mine in yet. If it was a mechanical issue I'd have brought it in the first time it happened. I haven't completely lost the signal in a few days but now it's developed "momentary blackouts" where the music just disappears for a second here or there. Very annoying. ALL other sources are just fine; no dropouts/stutters or other issues.

lakeron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 echoboost premieium
The only thing replaced was the antenna which comes with a short cable they had to paint it to match the car color dib. By the way it still works without any issues good luck and stick with it and let us know how it goes

lakeron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 echoboost premieium
Sorry to hear this. THIS is exactly why I've not brought mine in yet. If it was a mechanical issue I'd have brought it in the first time it happened. I haven't completely lost the signal in a few days but now it's developed "momentary blackouts" where the music just disappears for a second here or there. Very annoying. ALL other sources are just fine; no dropouts/stutters or other issues.
Your issue on your 2017 sounds a little different I know there was an issue reported in some locations with cell towers interfering with the satellite radio reception. I would suggest you google it. Mine was happening very frequently and the radio was posting that it was "acquiring signal". I know it is a pain but it took me over a year to get my issue resolved. I also insisted Ford give me a trouble report number so it was documented good luck

Sponsored

Tw00sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 Mustang Coupe
Anyone know if they have come up with a fix for this? A replacement part yet?

Adrian Cable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2017 GT Convertible
Anyone know if they have come up with a fix for this? A replacement part yet?
So I have actually got the bottom of this, after about 18 months. I have always had intermittent "Satellite Acquiring Signal" drop-outs (typically 3-4 times on my 20 mile commute each day), even with a totally clear sky. And yet, like others, sometimes I am in a tunnel and the reception is fine, suggesting susceptibility to interference. Vehicle is 2017 Mustang GT convertible.

Ford wouldn't/couldn't fix it under warranty. They replaced the coax between the ACM and the antenna (there is a TSB about that), which didn't help. They refused to touch the antenna as they then said the drop-outs were "normal". Very frustrating.

So I ordered a new antenna from Tasca. I chose the part from the 2018 model (HR3Z-10E893-ACPTM) not the 2017 one (GR3Z-10E893-ABPTM) since they are mechanically/electrically compatible and I hadn't heard any 2018 owners reporting drop-outs. The internals of the two look different - see the attached pic (right is the new 2018 antenna, left is the old 2017 antenna - note the old one is corroded inside due to water ingress - but since the problem has been there ever since I bought the car new that is presumably not the cause of the drop-outs). Looks like Ford tweaked the design.

The swap is super easy and took about 15 minutes. On the convertible it involves removing the trunk lid liner and one bolt gets the antenna out. On the coupe it is similar but the antenna is on the roof towards the rear, and you get to it under the rear head liner. Contrary to what people have posted here you DO NOT need to get the new antenna painted - you can take the painted plastic cap off the old antenna by removing the 5 little Torx screws, and transplant it to the new antenna.

Problem solved. Now get 0 cut-outs. Hope this is useful to someone.
IMG_6033.JPG

Tw00sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 Mustang Coupe
Thanks for posting this, I just ordered that new part and will see if this helps with my intermitted signals.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Interested
Sponsored