Sponsored

Please help me decide!!! 2017 Mustang GT or BMW M4

kobexu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT California Special
if you like old school M3's, don't get the M4, get the M2 instead.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
A car isn't an investment. In most cases, it's a money pit. You usually don't see a return(profit) on any car these days.
I agree, but I won't go broke if something goes wrong fixing a Mustang. I've known plenty of people with BMW's who have all said the same thing, "Make sure it has a warranty".

If you can already afford a new M4, then repairing it shouldn't be an issue either.

Personally, my goal is my make my 2017 GT PP stronger than an M3 for a lot less than the cost of buying an M3.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I agree, but I won't go broke if something goes wrong fixing a Mustang. I've known plenty of people with BMW's who have all said the same thing, "Make sure it has a warranty".

If you can already afford a new M4, then repairing it shouldn't be an issue either.

Personally, my goal is my make my 2017 GT PP stronger than an M3 for a lot less than the cost of buying an M3.
Easily done. The key though...don't go overboard either! Koni Sports, a mild drop like 1" with correct rates, a front sway bar at its SOFTEST setting (yes, you heard me right, SOFTEST), and that's really all you need. Maybe a bushing kit or vertical arms.

OP
OP

alving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Thanks for all the replies guys. Decided to wait for the 2018 after seeing all the pics last week especially the tremor pack.

I may buy an M4 in between - then I would have driven both :-)

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Hello everyone,

I need some help with the confusion in my head - its a very long story so here goes...

I live in South Africa (southern tip of Africa), Johannesburg to be exact (more on that later), and I'm in the market for a new car. Car prices in South Africa are a little different to the US which makes the decision a little bit more difficult.

I've driven BMW's for most of my life, starting with a BMW 325is (South African special edition of a car meant to resemble the E30 M3 which was never brought into the country) in my 20s then moved on more recently to a E92 M3 Manual in 2009 and then a E89 Z4 s35i DCT ESS Tuned (M4 was not out yet) in 2013. I sold the Z4 in 2016 so been without a sports car since then. I have a Jeep Wrangler JK as my daily driver so the new car will be my weekend toy.

What am I looking for in a car? I'm not a straight line speed car. I'm looking for a car that handles very well (M car handling) for mostly street, back roads, mountain roads and the occasional track day. I'm looking for a manual car for driver involvement, although I know DCT/PDK cars are faster. I'm looking for a car that sounds like a sports car - love the feel of a NA, high revving engine.

Here is a list of cars I've shortlisted with the equivalent price in dollars:

New 2017 Mustang GT with Ford Performance Track Handling Pack, Ford Performance Short Throw Shift Kit, Ford Performance Sport Cat-back exhaust with quad tips and GT350 rear valance, GT350R Steering wheel.
Total Price: $64000

Used 2015 BMW M4 Manual (10k-15k miles) - $61000 - extremely difficult to find though - been looking the last 6 months. The engine feels very similar to my ESS tuned Z4 so nothing special - very fast but the idea os engine sound being played through the speakers just doesn't do it for me.

Used 2015 BMW M4 DCT (10k-15k miles) - $61000 - easy to find but don't really like the DCT gearbox

Used 2009 Porsche 911 997.2 Carrera 2 S PDK - $61000 - there's a few around - like the NA engine but not so much the PDK - goes like stink although its a lot less power than the other cars. Its a bit old though.

Used 2013 BMW E92 M3 Manual - $47000 - loved the car when I owned it - its a bit old now tho - would like to try something else.

So I guess my biggest concern is whether I will be disappointed with the handling of the Mustang (after all the frpp parts) compared to the BMW. How does this build compare to the GT350/R in the US (We don't get the GT350/R here). The drop in Mustang resale also worrys me a bit but I'll be keeping this car - plan it to have a nice NA car in my garage and maybe buy a Porsche when I'm older - in my late 30s now. I've watched all the youtube videos and read all the forums but still stuck. It is the first time that Ford South Africa is selling the Mustang down here (we get the Euro Spec RHD) so there isn't many cars available to test drive. I drove the auto with a sport cat back exhaust which sounds very very nice but the gearbox is crap compared to a BMW DCT. I want the manual but haven't driven one yet.

So coming back to Johannesburg - it is 5,751 feet above sea level (high altitude) which means all NA cars lose 15-20% of their power compared to FI cars which lose about 5%. This will affect the performance of the car too.

The 2018 Mustang GT is very nice too but it will only get here some time in 2019. We got the 2015 car only in 2016. I dont think I can wait another year or so.

Please help with your thoughts. If you had to pay the money Ford is asking in South Africa for a Mustang vs the M4, would you still buy it.

Thanks,
Alvin

Well...

Why not just wait and get a 2018 w/MagneRide, it is essentially the car you are looking for.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lighting Blue Mustang GTPP Premium
Well Here's my .02 cents. I've owned 1 328, and 2 335's, and enjoyed both of them as far as ride quality. Other than that I would never buy another BMW again. BMW has to be the most temperamental car I've ever owned. Water pump failures at 10,000 miles, fuel injectors going bad at 10,000 miles, radiator leak, heater core going bad, oil leak rattling exhaust, blown drivers side turn signal ($500 part lol) overly expensive parts and labor made me finally give up on them. I needed a new battery for one of them and the dealership wanted 500 bucks. Apparently the battery has to be calibrated by a technician! If you have the money to keep up with regular service intervals 1 and 2 which can vary any where from 1,000 to 2,000 American bucks go ahead and get if not then pass. BMW's really don't hold their resell value in general and that's because of the ridiculous upkeep and the strange issues that pop up. If you're dead set on getting one then lease it and give it back them and walk away from it. BMW is not a car you own but a car you lease! Get the Stang and keep your extra money you're going to spend on the BMW and mod it or invest it! Peace!

CrunchMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible (when available)
I’m currently on my third BMW in a row. I’ve always wanted a convertible and I really considered getting a 430i convertible. I decided to go with the mustangs because I want to keep the vert for a long time and after seeing the costs of the warranty repairs that I have gone through, I realized that I just can’t afford to have the BMW after it’s out of warranty.

Each of the BMW’s has had significant repairs except for the 2017 that I got late last year. One of the most expensive was having to replace both turbos on the 335xi at a cost of close to 10 grand.

BMW’s: Fun to drive but prone to very expensive repairs.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Forget the mustang in NA form if you live in Joburg. You will need to factor in the cost of a supercharger living there. I couldn’t believe how thin the air was and how badly it hurt the power until I drove there for a week.
Just a left field idea but do GM import Holden to SA? Or maybe a final edition Jag xkr?

'stangerza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP RR
I was up against an M4 in my GT at swartkop racetrack on an open track day recently, the M4 blows the GT away. Technical, performance, and finishes of the M4 are way better than the GT.
But I wouldn't swap my GT for a M4....personal choice

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I think a better comparison is a GT350R or a BMW M4.

'stangerza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP RR
True, but the GT350R is not available in South Africa, probably can compare to a Roush 3, but the cost will hike by another US$48k

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
If you look at the Chris Harris review of Mustang GT he compares it to an M4, his conclusion is that an M4 is nearly twice the price of a Mustang but it ain't twice the car.
E90 M3 v Mustang GT is a more difficult decision than between the F82 M4, BMW ruined it with the turbos.

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP

Stronger possibly but you can't compare build quality between the two.

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
Sound, looks, and the image the car portrays is probably the only reason to get a mustang gt over an m4. (if money isnt a big issue)
Performance wise, and m4 or even m2 will run circles around a stang on the track
Sponsored