Sponsored

Please help me decide!!! 2017 Mustang GT or BMW M4

alving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Hello everyone,

I need some help with the confusion in my head - its a very long story so here goes...

I live in South Africa (southern tip of Africa), Johannesburg to be exact (more on that later), and I'm in the market for a new car. Car prices in South Africa are a little different to the US which makes the decision a little bit more difficult.

I've driven BMW's for most of my life, starting with a BMW 325is (South African special edition of a car meant to resemble the E30 M3 which was never brought into the country) in my 20s then moved on more recently to a E92 M3 Manual in 2009 and then a E89 Z4 s35i DCT ESS Tuned (M4 was not out yet) in 2013. I sold the Z4 in 2016 so been without a sports car since then. I have a Jeep Wrangler JK as my daily driver so the new car will be my weekend toy.

What am I looking for in a car? I'm not a straight line speed car. I'm looking for a car that handles very well (M car handling) for mostly street, back roads, mountain roads and the occasional track day. I'm looking for a manual car for driver involvement, although I know DCT/PDK cars are faster. I'm looking for a car that sounds like a sports car - love the feel of a NA, high revving engine.

Here is a list of cars I've shortlisted with the equivalent price in dollars:

New 2017 Mustang GT with Ford Performance Track Handling Pack, Ford Performance Short Throw Shift Kit, Ford Performance Sport Cat-back exhaust with quad tips and GT350 rear valance, GT350R Steering wheel.
Total Price: $64000

Used 2015 BMW M4 Manual (10k-15k miles) - $61000 - extremely difficult to find though - been looking the last 6 months. The engine feels very similar to my ESS tuned Z4 so nothing special - very fast but the idea os engine sound being played through the speakers just doesn't do it for me.

Used 2015 BMW M4 DCT (10k-15k miles) - $61000 - easy to find but don't really like the DCT gearbox

Used 2009 Porsche 911 997.2 Carrera 2 S PDK - $61000 - there's a few around - like the NA engine but not so much the PDK - goes like stink although its a lot less power than the other cars. Its a bit old though.

Used 2013 BMW E92 M3 Manual - $47000 - loved the car when I owned it - its a bit old now tho - would like to try something else.

So I guess my biggest concern is whether I will be disappointed with the handling of the Mustang (after all the frpp parts) compared to the BMW. How does this build compare to the GT350/R in the US (We don't get the GT350/R here). The drop in Mustang resale also worrys me a bit but I'll be keeping this car - plan it to have a nice NA car in my garage and maybe buy a Porsche when I'm older - in my late 30s now. I've watched all the youtube videos and read all the forums but still stuck. It is the first time that Ford South Africa is selling the Mustang down here (we get the Euro Spec RHD) so there isn't many cars available to test drive. I drove the auto with a sport cat back exhaust which sounds very very nice but the gearbox is crap compared to a BMW DCT. I want the manual but haven't driven one yet.

So coming back to Johannesburg - it is 5,751 feet above sea level (high altitude) which means all NA cars lose 15-20% of their power compared to FI cars which lose about 5%. This will affect the performance of the car too.

The 2018 Mustang GT is very nice too but it will only get here some time in 2019. We got the 2015 car only in 2016. I dont think I can wait another year or so.

Please help with your thoughts. If you had to pay the money Ford is asking in South Africa for a Mustang vs the M4, would you still buy it.

Thanks,
Alvin
Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I guess you will not be happy with the GT if you expect M4 level performance and handing. The 2018 Mustang will close the gap with more power (especially more low-rpm punch) and magnetic ride. But if 2017 GT and M4 is about the same price, it's not a fair comparison since it's build around the $20-30k difference in the US (not just for performance, also build and material quality).
If you want american muscle with M4 like performance you should take a look at a 2016 Camaro SS or a GT350, but they don't come as RHD

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
M4 is quite a bit faster and it should probably handle better. But if you don't like auto then keep looking or get the mustang if you can wait. Damn 64k for a mustang gt though. You're paying a lot of money to get it sounding/looking/handling like a gt350 for..about the price of a 2016 2017 gt350. Can you not get any there?

I like mustang like the rest of us but I wouldn't pay 64k for the GT. I would get a slightly used c63 coupe, jaguar, porsche, gt350. Lots of other options. Porsche and gt350 handle great btw. Could also consider z06 or camaro 1le.

Camaro SS (non 1le!!) and m4 handle extremely similarly btw. [ame]

OP
OP

alving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
M4 is quite a bit faster and it should probably handle better. But if you don't like auto then keep looking or get the mustang if you can wait. Damn 64k for a mustang gt though. You're paying a lot of money to get it sounding/looking/handling like a gt350 for..about the price of a 2016 2017 gt350. Can you not get any there?

I like mustang like the rest of us but I wouldn't pay 64k for the GT. I would get a slightly used c63 coupe, jaguar, porsche, gt350. Lots of other options. Porsche and gt350 handle great btw. Could also consider z06 or camaro 1le.

Camaro SS (non 1le!!) and m4 handle extremely similarly btw.
Thanks for all the replies so far.

The GT350 is not available in South Africa
Chevrolet is not available in South Africa - they pulled out of the country this year but never brought any of the American variants here anyway so no camaro.

The only American muscle car is the mustang and then all the other german cars are freely available.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
If you prefer and appreciate handling over brute force you would be better off in the EB/PP Auto. I come from manual only Porsche/Audi and couldn't be more pleased with the acceptional handling of my EB/PP Auto. I don't want to start a pissing contest with the GT group, just stating a fact. I have also read stories about the Chinese built manual gear box in the Mustang not being that great so it may leave you disappointed coming from German gear boxes. The German ZF based auto is a very good unit.

https://blog.caranddriver.com/perfo...mustang-gt-versus-2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost/

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

If you prefer and appreciate handling over brute force you would be better off in the EB/PP Auto. I come from manual only Porsche/Audi and couldn't be more pleased with the acceptional handling of my EB/PP Auto. I don't want to start a pissing contest with the GT group, just stating a fact. I have also read stories about the Chinese built manual gear box in the Mustang not being that great so it may leave you disappointed coming from German gear boxes. The German ZF based auto is a very good unit.

https://blog.caranddriver.com/perfo...mustang-gt-versus-2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost/
I agree. My EB handles very well. Especially since I got rid of the Pirelli's and put some sticky Michelin's on there. Lots o' grip around corners.

There is nothing wrong with the MT-82. Yes, it can be clunky sometimes. But that gives it character right? ;) I believe the MT-82 is plenty reliable and shifts well most of the time with the occasional hiccup.

I can't comment much on the BMW side of things. I've always backed away from any BMW, especially used ones. I'm scared of the repair bill. :lol:

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
From my perspective, you're buying a new car vs a used European car. If an M4 is that difficult to get, the repair is going to be EXTREMELY expensive. In terms of handling, the M4 is better ofc. But if you're already planning on modding, you can add some additional suspension upgrades/performance upgrades that will make you miles ahead of an M4.

I was in the same shoes as you, I was going to buy a 2014 C63 507 for around 60K. Bought my Mustang instead and couldn't be happier. Only time I see a C63 is when its in my rear view mirror ;)

End of the day, I much rather buy a new car rather than spending ~60k on a used car.

Just my 2 cents

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
They are not even in the same price bracket.
If you really want to compare, should be comparing to the GT350.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Growing up my dream car was a BMW M3. Now while I know people with BMW's I feel like they are always getting small things fixed, cup holders, rattles, weird surging, I just feel like BMW will kill you with small issues for some reason. I personally don't trust them anymore.

That is just my opinion though.

Reactions: Ebm

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
If I could afford an M4, I would own a GT350R. That said, M4 over GT any day.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Used BMW is probably one of the worst investments ever unless it comes with a warranty. Expect many oil leaks. One of the main reasons why I don't think I would ever own one. They make great lease cars.

OP
OP

alving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
both the mustang and BMW come with 5yr / 100 000 km motorplan - the dealer takes care of everything in the car except for fuel.

A new BMW M4 is $89 000 sticker - $79 000 after dealer discount.
A new mustang gt is $61500 - $55 000 after dealer discount.

I'm trying to figure out if I spend the extra money - approx $11000 - can I get the mustang to M4 / GT350 handling and near M4 performance.

I actually like the mustang a lot more than the BMW. Just don't want to be disappointed.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I don't think anyone has mentioned this. But the Mustang is a pretty iconic car. So from a prestige stand point. There's probably not a big difference. From a performance stand point. The BMW is stronger. But the gap isn't gigantic. Maintance will be light years cheaper for the Mustang.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Used BMW is probably one of the worst investments ever unless it comes with a warranty. Expect many oil leaks. One of the main reasons why I don't think I would ever own one. They make great lease cars.
A car isn't an investment. In most cases, it's a money pit. You usually don't see a return(profit) on any car these days.
Sponsored