K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Just looking for some advice.

I have 3 options for licensing my car. I can use the file from PCM's server, I can use the read from my car, currently tuned, or I could return my car to stock and read it.

I want to be able to merge the current tuned file with the stock file to see what parameters I have already changed. Not sure of the best way to do this.

Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Reading up it looks like it licenses the OSID so any of the above should work.

I'll find out tonight.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Your post just made it click with me that this new low priced PCMtec option likely does and should have a lot of tuning companies concerned, and not for the reason that most people think...
I've been playing with it (and so have a few others) its pretty nice, even if just for the better interface and cheaper hardware.

That's not even getting into how many more things are mapped out.

Sponsored

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Too bad you don't get access to multi-tune with it.
Not yet.

I asked PCMTEC about their US market plans and part of the response said they are “looking at introducing a "simplified"/"preconfigured" CustomOS tool for customers like yourself in ProTuner, but at this point we are still assessing the feasibility of that so I can't give you any additional feedback”. Direct quote from the email response. I assume it won’t give us the same abilities as the workshop edition, but that’s not even available to the masses yet anyways. It sounds like they are trying to gain traction in the US market though, and that’s a good thing.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Not yet.

I asked PCMTEC about their US market plans and part of the response said they are “looking at introducing a "simplified"/"preconfigured" CustomOS tool for customers like yourself in ProTuner, but at this point we are still assessing the feasibility of that so I can't give you any additional feedback”. Direct quote from the email response. I assume it won’t give us the same abilities as the workshop edition, but that’s not even available to the masses yet anyways. It sounds like they are trying to gain traction in the US market though, and that’s a good thing.
That's at least a good sign. I think multitune would be very useful and I hope they give us normals access to it.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Not yet.

Per a recent conversation with them, it is now available to the masses with Workshop, but you have to send them a message asking for it to be turned on. I'm also curious why they have had the sudden flip. A few months ago they had absolutely no interest in trying to compete with HPT in the US market.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Per a recent conversation with them, it is now available to the masses with Workshop, but you have to send them a message asking for it to be turned on. I'm also curious why they have had the sudden flip. A few months ago they had absolutely no interest in trying to compete with HPT in the US market.
Probably money haha

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I think multitune would be very useful
Multi tune is a gimmick unless you do your own tunes and also street or no prep race.

Sponsored

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Multi tune is a gimmick unless you do your own tunes and also street or no prep race.
To me the biggest advantage to multi tune is swapping fuel types or adjusting ethanol content without flashing the car. That goes away if there’s a reliably functioning flex fuel system. Though I wouldn’t mind being able to toggle ghost cam or pops and bangs on the fly because I’m a giant toddler and I love converting dinosaur juice into useless noise for my entertainment. Also being able to adjust max timing on the fly would be nice. I wouldn’t mind being able to pull like 2° at WOT for most of my daily street driving but be able to add it back on the fly if I wanted to.

Is all that worth $2000? Hard to say. Now that we know there’s some parameters zeroed out in the Mustang that appear to influence Ford’s flex fuel logic maybe it’s all we need to make it function reliably.

Rolls

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pcmtec.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 18 GT
We always had interest in releasing multitune to more customers, we needed to ensure we supported the entire platform first and had sufficient testing. Eg we now cover almost every ecoboost 2.3, 2.7. 3.0,3.5L and NA 3.3,3.7,5.0 5.2 F150 15-21 and Mustang scross 15-23 with multi tune and with 20-40k parameters mapped. No one else maps calibrations anywhere near to this level, we don't have any interest in being another hptuners, we are currently sticking to one platform with the aim of doing it properly and completely, not 50 platforms all half mapped.

The other main issue is being overwhelmed with support as we need to build out our training for custom os, hence releasing it slowly to more and more customers

The current position is it is turned on on request with the worktop product, it is priced at 2k usd to ensure only serious tuners purchase it at this stage. We don't want everyone man and his dog using it, getting confused and trying up support. This pricing is not designed for once off users, it is cheaper to go see a tuner that is fully trained in the system.

This cut down version in protuner is still in discussion however will likely include some pre configured options.

To some perhaps however having the ability to infinitely adjust power, variable boost levels or even rev limits and shift schedules on the fly without even turning the engine off is a huge benefit to many. No to mention proper configurable launch control! Eg rolling anti lag has been extremely well received by 100s of customers. We will be adding ignition cut and transbrake shortly.
It also includes anti clone and anti tamper which helps tuners protect their IP.

Probably money haha
We want to grow the product faster which means we need more engineers. We are a team of 5, this was a business decision to help us fund improving and adding more and more features to the custom os to bridge the gap between oem and aftermarket. We have many more features planned.

Also for those that have purchased the product feel free to post technical discussion on our forum https://forum.pcmtec.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
To some perhaps however having the ability to infinitely adjust power, variable boost levels or even rev limits and shift schedules on the fly without even turning the engine off is a huge benefit to many. No to mention proper configurable launch control! Eg rolling anti lag has been extremely well received by 100s of customers. We will be adding ignition cut and transbrake shortly.
I see the benefit.

Really hope to see a trans brake for the 6R80

Thanks for joining and responding. So far I really like your product. I have the pro version. Like I said earlier I wish you still allowed the user to turn on and off rear O2 sensors. So far that is my only gripe.

Is it possible to at least give back the FAOSC switch?

Rolls

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pcmtec.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 18 GT
I see the benefit.

Really hope to see a trans brake for the 6R80

Thanks for joining and responding. So far I really like your product. I have the pro version. Like I said earlier I wish you still allowed the user to turn on and off rear O2 sensors. So far that is my only gripe.

Is it possible to at least give back the FAOSC switch?
O2 sensor tests are needed for epa compliance in the USA. If they have been already turned off in your tune it will let you turn them back on, but not the reverse.

EPA has the ability to shut down anyone basically over night and we have no intention of letting 6 years of development be shut down due to something like that.

You can make 1000hp and pass emissions, it is just more difficult. Do it right and everyone will stay in this game a lot longer.

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
EPA has the ability to shut down anyone basically over night and we have no intention of letting 6 years of development be shut down due to something like that.
I understand.

What about the 6R80 trans brake. Is this possible. HPT has been teasing it for several years.
Sponsored