Sponsored

Overheating????

Nasty99z28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 z28 with full bolt-ons and a mwc fab9
Will a base gt350 or gt350 w/tech pack have any overheating problems if tracked? And would you have any problems if you don't add the oil catch can?
Sponsored

AnelBHF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It won't overheat because the computer won't allow it. Basically you won't get max performance out of the car. You should install a catch can regardless if you track or not. You would be surprised how much oil it catches.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Engine oil, definitely.

Cashcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMG GT S, S550, Camaro
It won't overheat because the computer won't allow it. Basically you won't get max performance out of the car. You should install a catch can regardless if you track or not. You would be surprised how much oil it catches.
Is that similar to what happens with the z06?

Sponsored

AnelBHF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
You should be okay if you do 15-20 min track sessions. Then again nobody has taken it to the track so we don't know for sure. But yes the electronics will shut down power and rpm and that will stop the whole powertrain from overheating. You should definetly get two catch cans though.

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350R, '11 Mustang GT
Tracks I go to can get upwards of 100 degrees. So 350's track pack's extra coolers are definitely a key attraction why I chose the Track Pack just as extra margin of safety.

I run a highly prepped street Coyote without added coolers and haven't experienced any engine/tranny heating issues. Brake ducts made a huge difference on my Coyote but I think 350's under tray funnels air to cool brakes in lieu of ducts. Diff gets super heated and fluid expands so bad that fluid escapes from top of the Diff case.

If you plan on doing more than couple track days a year, Track pack is well worth your consideration.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
How experienced of a driver are you? If you are advanced, you will likely want the track pack.

Any car will overheat and can cause damage if you keep driving it hard even after it goes into limp mode. With all of the gauges built into the electronics, you will see things start to overheat well before limp mode kicks in.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I believe this for water temp, but what about engine and diff oil temps?
Also monitored by the ecu (oil for sure, the diff is on the track pack cars)

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
My 370Z would go into "limp' mode all the time... in traffic. Which isn't all that bad until traffic cleared and the car won't go any faster than a RV. Temps would get as high as 260-280 until I added a oil cooler that brought temps down to 180-220. Still, the oil cooler didn't really help much in bumper to bumper traffic. Worked great when air would flow... duh. :doh:

Also, didn't really matter if outside temps where hot or cold. Always seem to heat up regardless of outside temp. Down shift rev matching didn't help temps either. :frusty:

Sponsored

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Always get catch can and it appears ford wants two on this car for track use.

What do you mean by track your car? First of all glance at your temps - oil and water - a few times around each lap. It would be cool if Ford came out with a procal tool with data logging for this car.

We don't really know yet so....some rule of thumb and common sense stuff here...

A few laps on a track or a single lap HPDE event? those won't matter much. If you talking about running it hard for 20 minutes at a time you will want to start with oil and trans coolers first then add diff cooler later. And replace the oil after a hard day at the track. Check all fluid levels. Check transmission fluid color and see if there are any seal leaks.

And if the oil is chocolate brown looking then you have a serious issue but if you see it right after leaving the track it can usually be fixed before catastrophic failure.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
I would say that it depends on how you drive the car on track and how often.

If you plan to do a good amount of track events and/or plan to drive the car hard for most of the time, you should be getting the GT350 with TP or the GT350R. In the long run, you really aren't saving yourself money or anything by getting a GT350 without the coolers and installing them later...

If you just want to go to the track here and there, and not run the hard car most of the time, I think a non-TP GT350 will be just fine.

For any performance driving, I highly recommend installing an oil catch can on the PCV side of the system. The clean air side typically doesn't induce much oil into the intake.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Will a base gt350 or gt350 w/tech pack have any overheating problems if tracked? And would you have any problems if you don't add the oil catch can?
Depends on how how the ambient temperatures are at the track you go to. If it's relatively cool I would be very surprised if you have a problem.

I believe this for water temp, but what about engine and diff oil temps?
Same answer.

You should be okay if you do 15-20 min track sessions. Then again nobody has taken it to the track so we don't know for sure. But yes the electronics will shut down power and rpm and that will stop the whole powertrain from overheating. You should definetly get two catch cans though.
Yes it also depends on how long the track sessions are, and even the track itself is a huge variable. Some tracks will punish the cooling and braking systems much more than others.

Tracks I go to can get upwards of 100 degrees. So 350's track pack's extra coolers are definitely a key attraction why I chose the Track Pack just as extra margin of safety.

I run a highly prepped street Coyote without added coolers and haven't experienced any engine/tranny heating issues. Brake ducts made a huge difference on my Coyote but I think 350's under tray funnels air to cool brakes in lieu of ducts. Diff gets super heated and fluid expands so bad that fluid escapes from top of the Diff case.

If you plan on doing more than couple track days a year, Track pack is well worth your consideration.
I had my 2015 base GT (no PP) at the track and it was fine as well.

How experienced of a driver are you? If you are advanced, you will likely want the track pack.

Any car will overheat and can cause damage if you keep driving it hard even after it goes into limp mode. With all of the gauges built into the electronics, you will see things start to overheat well before limp mode kicks in.
Good point about driver experience. It's really about how hard you use the car. If you are really good at getting the most out of a car on a race track, that car will end up hotter than a car driven by someone like me who is a novice. This is the great thing about the GT350 - it will warn you if it's getting hot and you can change what you are doing before you cause any harm. I will probably go to the track and see how the car does. I probably won't see track temperatures much over 80 degrees and I'm not a fast driver, so I wouldn't be surprised if I don't even need to add coolers.

I would say that it depends on how you drive the car on track and how often.

If you plan to do a good amount of track events and/or plan to drive the car hard for most of the time, you should be getting the GT350 with TP or the GT350R. In the long run, you really aren't saving yourself money or anything by getting a GT350 without the coolers and installing them later...

If you just want to go to the track here and there, and not run the hard car most of the time, I think a non-TP GT350 will be just fine.

For any performance driving, I highly recommend installing an oil catch can on the PCV side of the system. The clean air side typically doesn't induce much oil into the intake.
Why do you recommend a catch can for any performance driving?
Sponsored