Sponsored

Opti-coated!

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Challenger Scat Pack
Anyone know of a reputable place that does this stuff in the Tampa Bay Area? My car lives outside unfortunately so this might be a good option for me.
Sponsored

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium

rogers17GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
In case it has not been clarified...

Opti Coat Pro is the current Pro only Optimum coating. There is also Pro Plus, that is a topper for Pro, it is pro only as well.

Opti Guard is the old name for Opti Coat Pro, it doesn't exist anymore (except as an interior leather coating).

Opti Coat 2.0 was the consumer version of Opti Guard (Pro), it also does not exist anymore. It was replaced by Gloss Coat, a two year hybrid Si02/SiC coating.

The warranty on current Pro is 5 years, 7 with Pro Plus, that varies by country. Pro used to be marketed as permanent. Nothing is permanent.

No paint coating has been proven to provide any tangible benefit with regards to stone chips/pitting, they are all less than (way less, in fact), 5 microns, most are less than 1. PPF is 8 *MIL*, so, literally, 100-200X thicker and it is designed specifically to stop debris.

Edit to add - modern clear coat and clear bras both have UV inhibitors designed to stop fading over time. Opti Coat will help their *chemical* resistance, it is not designed to additionally prevent UV resistance. That is why Optimum has Opti Lens (which is designed to go on after an installer sands headlights), to replace the UV coating that would have been removed from the headlight.

rogers17GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I am going to have to disagree with some of what you said. First off I was wrong about the thickness. modern top clear coats are around 60-90u thick and Opticoat (it doesn't say if it's the pro or standard product) according to their website is around 2u. However because it resists scratching/swirls better than a standard clear coat, by nature it would have to be harder in the technical term. Hardness is measured by the ability to receive scratching. 9H being the hardest which is what the Opti products rate as, which is the same level as diamond. Unfortunately I can't find any actual data on the thickness of the pro product other than "It is believed to be a thicker coating than the consumer product."

The name it's self is weird because the original used to be Opti-coat, then when they released the consumer model Opti-coat 2.0 they changed the name of Opti-coat (pro) to Opti-Guard. It's referenced interchangeably throughout the internet which makes it difficult to discuss. To make matters worse they've added another product specifically for the interior called Opti-guard, and as such I've seen the professional exterior clear coat referred to as Opti-coat Pro, and Opti-Guard Pro. :headbonk: I believe what my guy used is listed on their website as Opti-Coat Pro Plus which has an added gloss coating, which he simply calls Opti-Guard. My guess is it's turned into the whole Q-Tip, Hoover, Google, ziplock situation where it's just the generic name for the exterior product for the car.

It is a permanent sealant, that repeals water, dirt, and oils. It resists scratching considerably better than a standard clear coat due to it's hardness. It provides UV protection which helps to prevent fading of plastics, oxidation of clear plastics, and loss of luster of standard paint.

I'm not trying to pitch the product as an alternative to the bra or anything lol, I said it offered -some- chip protection, as in better than nothing at all. That's just from having an extra coating on the car with different properties. That's just a hypothesis on my end though. Would still recommend the clear bra. :thumbsup:

You can put waxes and sealants on top of the opti-guard, it just won't stay very well just due to the nature of the coating. He may have been confused with the 22ple though and I'll concede that. I haven't found anyone having applied it onto an Opti-guard/coat (2.0 or pro or whatever) yet, but they do offer a gloss application that you can apply onto the car after it's been treated. :cheers:
Unfortunately there is so much misinformation on the internet it perpetuates this. 9H when used with regards to paint coatings is *not* as hard as diamonds. 9H and diamonds refer to the MOH scale of hardness. Coating hardness is based on the LEAD scale, so think number 1-10 pencils. 9H means a #9 pencil will scratch the surface, so it is not even in the same universe as diamond hardness. Some coating companies (not Optimum, thankfully) really perpetuate the 9H thing in an effort to mislead potential clients.

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
As far as rock chip protection... which is more durable? Opticoat or a clear bra? Specifically Xpel Ultimate?
Clear bra is much better for this. Opti Coat will not help wth rock chips. Clear bra also costs way more.

Sponsored

Teddy Dal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Explorer Sp, 2016 GT350R (DIB, black roof)
Optiguard Pro gives you some chip protection. The bra would give you the best chip protection on the front of the car, but I don't know if it still gives you the UV protection that Optiguard offers. I'd probably Optiguard Pro it first, then add the clear bar about a month later.
I wasn't aware you could put an Expel or clear bra product over a ceramic coating...can anyone confirm this?

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
I wasn't aware you could put an Expel or clear bra product over a ceramic coating...can anyone confirm this?
You wouldn't do a polymer coating and then do a clear bra over it. You would do one or the other. The clear bra probably won't stick to the coting anyway but confirm this with others to be sure.

mhagerty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Clear bra first then coat. I just had mine done in Cquartz Finest and it was applied over my Xpel Ultimate and over my black gloss vinyl wrapped roof.
Sponsored