Sponsored

Oil level has me stumped

ducatismo

Ducatismo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Fresh oil change a few weeks ago and checked my level the other morning before starting the car. It was at the empty notch. Didn't make any sense so my local ford service rep, a really good dude, handed me a few quarts to get me through until I could get the car in. I added the 3 quarts and rechecked the level after an 1hr. of letting the car settle. The level is now way above the max notch. About 1.5" above. Anybody have any clue as to how this can happen?
Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
3 quarts is way too much between the high and low mark, more like 1 to 1.5 quarts needed. When I check my oil, I put the dipstick in 3 times and wipe it each time, then take the average of the 3 as my reading. Once on this Voodoo motor can easily give you a false reading.

OP
OP
ducatismo

ducatismo

Ducatismo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You added all 3 quarts without checking after each one? That was probably a mistake.
True, my bad. I just figured it was bone dry and considering it takes 10qts I figured it was safe. Still cant figure out why the drastic change in level.

OP
OP
ducatismo

ducatismo

Ducatismo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
3 quarts is way too much between the high and low mark, more like 1 to 1.5 quarts needed. When I check my oil, I put the dipstick in 3 times and wipe it, then take the average of the 3 as my reading. Once can give you a false reading.
I wish my service rep would have suggested this but ultimately I should have been more patient and checked. I guess I was still suspecting it had a leak since last track day the damn filter literally fell off and emptied on the track. Dealer had failed to correctly torque it. It was a cluster f but luckily no engine damage.

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Absolutely added way too much oil. You could damage the engine by running it that high. I would suggest only driving it to the dealership to have it drained and filled properly. Maybe even tow it to the dealer ship if you are really paranoid. You definitely should not drive it around like normal waiting to go get the repair done. Then again, I would find a new dealership or do it myself if they did my last oil change and the filter fell off.

To give you an idea on dip stick level and oil added. At just over 1,000 miles mine was below the hash marks right at the bottom hole on the dipstick. I added one quart and that put the level right at the top of the hash marks. Cleaned the dip stick and checked it 2 mores times. Same level. Mine is a 17 that has had the recall performed and no leaks. She is consuming about 1/2 quart every 500 miles well with in the 1 quart per 500 miles acceptable level per Ford.

I will be doing my own as soon as I get the free wrench and filter.

Last edited:

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You cannot be serious? Is this a late april fool's joke?

I need to calm down
I need to calm down
I need to calm down

Take deep breaths. Do not say anything.

No its not working. I have to say it.

My wife knows to always top off oil in "half a bottle" increments (she doesnt know how much each bottle has) until oil shows up at the "top line". This is universally known for every single four stroke motor known to mankind. Forget GT350 and the fact that this car is a special car and needs special care. Even if you owned a ford explorer, what you did was unacceptable. You have most absolutely made permanent damage to the engine and the fact that you admitted it to Ford is another problem.

And for the record, I did not teach her that! The fact that she knows may have something to do with the fact that she got her DL in Europe and there getting a DL is a little more difficult and involved than ordering cable TV like it is the case here. You do need to go to a proper school and learn about the cars that you actually drive (kinda like a captain of an aircraft knowing how a plane works rather than pushing and pulling a yoke randomly)!

I would be so mad at myself if I were you pal.

Even if you were right and the car did lose 3 full quarts of oil. I just wouldnt drive that car not even idle it because that would indicate a catastrophic leak in your system!

Last edited:

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Yes, but the GT350 has a 4 stroke engine...

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Histrionics aside....
It's a learning experience. 1/2 bottle increments, full bottle at the most if you're not registering anything on the dipstick. Triple checking the level each time is good too.

Sorry your filter fell off, must've been a mess all around. Glad your engine didn't seize. No matter who torques it down in the future, checking it should be part of your pretrack checklist. Good luck :cheers:

Last edited:

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Histrionics aside....
It's a learning experience. 1/2 bottle increments, full bottle at the most if your not registering anything on the dipstick.
I do the 1/2 bottle increments as well too.

And always remember to wipe the dipstick when you check, dip it back in, and then check again to get a true measurement.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I believe the lower hole indicates one qt low. Always check as others have mentioned, half qt increments...

Darth Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tri Yellow GT350
You cannot be serious? Is this a late april fool's joke?

I need to calm down
I need to calm down
I need to calm down

Take deep breaths. Do not say anything.

No its not working. I have to say it.

My wife knows to always top off oil in "half a bottle" increments (she doesnt know how much each bottle has) until oil shows up at the "top line". This is universally known for every single four stroke motor known to mankind. Forget GT350 and the fact that this car is a special car and needs special care. Even if you owned a ford explorer, what you did was unacceptable. You have most absolutely made permanent damage to the engine and the fact that you admitted it to Ford is another problem.

And for the record, I did not teach her that! The fact that she knows may have something to do with the fact that she got her DL in Europe and there getting a DL is a little more difficult and involved than ordering cable TV like it is the case here. You do need to go to a proper school and learn about the cars that you actually drive (kinda like a captain of an aircraft knowing how a plane works rather than pushing and pulling a yoke randomly)!

I would be so mad at myself if I were you pal.

Even if you were right and the car did lose 3 full quarts of oil. I just wouldnt drive that car not even idle it because that would indicate a catastrophic leak in your system!
Calm down dude. No need to beat a horse while they are down. Hopefully he didn't drive it and lesson learned. Good luck my man.

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
Absolutely added way too much oil. You could damage the engine by running it that high. I would suggest only driving it to the dealership to have it drained and filled properly. Maybe even tow it to the dealer ship if you are really paranoid. You definitely should not drive it around like normal waiting to go get the repair done. Then again, I would find a new dealership or do it myself if they did my last oil change and the filter fell off.

To give you an idea on dip stick level and oil added. At just over 1,000 miles mine was below the hash marks right at the bottom hole on the dipstick. I added one quart and that put the level right at the top of the hash marks. Cleaned the dip stick and checked it 2 mores times. Same level. Mine is a 17 that has had the recall performed and no leaks. She is consuming about 1/2 quart every 500 miles well with in the 1 quart per 500 miles acceptable level per Ford.

I will be doing my own as soon as I get the free wrench and filter.
Mine is using the same amount of oil. Maybe we both have the same engine builders or drive it like we stole it. :)

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Bottom of hash marks is kind of an industry standard as far as I know, on every car I ever owned, domestic to foreign, the mark at the bottom of the hashes means 1 quart low. Your poor FPC, I feel bad for her, from no oil to way too much.
Sponsored