Sponsored

Official MRT 5.0 Catback Exhaust Thread

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
Hello,

I would like to address some concerns people have had regarding this system and noise.

I would first off like to say this an extremely aggressive sounding system and has a wonderful tone. After I first installed the exhaust I was thrilled with the sound only to find out that I experienced severe drone from 1,200-2,300 (give or take) RPMs. Although the sound is wonderful, this drone was really killing the thrill the exhaust gave me.

After contacting MRT the other day I had some free time and decided to personally go see their facility and speak with the owner Scott Hoag. The customer service I experienced is by far the best I've come across in any platform I've owned.

Scott went for a ride with me and confirmed that this was a bad case of of drone that they never ran into for some reason on their development car. We are currently working on a revised exhaust that my car will be prototyping and will have updates as we go. The company is also planning on getting a presence on this website themselves. I will also be getting additional exhaust videos under acceleration and such.

A big issue that Scott and I spoke about is he fact that nobody has contacted them about this issue for those experiencing it. Often times we post things online before contacting them and disregard the fact that any company (often times) would be more than happy to improve their product if there is an issue.

Also - It appears I had perfect timing because as I was at MRT that Avalanche GT 350 prototype came in for a visit and showing to the MRT guys. I'll have videos posted in due time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
Glad to hear they're working with you on a solution. Any initial ideas as to why the system on your car has drone?

OP
OP

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to hear they're working with you on a solution. Any initial ideas as to why the system on your car has drone?
Not quite sure. Scott said when they developed this exhaust it was also on a car with 3.73 gears and they were surprised themselves that they didn't have to do any resonance tuning. It will be fixed and thats what I'm happy about - says a lot about the company.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
A big issue that Scott and I spoke about is he fact that nobody has contacted them about this issue for those experiencing it. Often times we post things online before contacting them and disregard the fact that any company (often times) would be more than happy to improve their product if there is an issue.
I've been an MRT customer for many years and every time I had ANY issue, Scott and his staff were very responsive to what I was experiencing. Glad you have found this to be the case.

I look forward to your updates.

OP
OP

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been an MRT customer for many years and every time I had ANY issue, Scott and his staff were very responsive to what I was experiencing. Glad you have found this to be the case.

I look forward to your updates.
Great to know! I've been happy so far and its nice to have a somewhat local company to work with. I'll be sure to get some updates in here and work on getting more videos once the final product is completed.

Sponsored

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
My car was the car they developed their exhaust on, my system only has drone from 1700 to 2000 rpm, and it is very manageable as it is in only random driving speeds

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
will they be making changes to their design to eliminate the drone?

OP
OP

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
will they be making changes to their design to eliminate the drone?
Yes.

Short update because it's late but Scott personally worked on the car today and it's a worlds difference. No drone cruising and pending throttle/load the only minor drone is between 1,200-1,500 rpm. In that band you're essentially lugging the engine though.

As a first revision it's wonderful. I'll be sending Scott an email after a week or so of testing and we will go from there to see if any minor things need addressed.

Cj4428

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1 Recaros Magnetic, Ford PP3,Corsa catback
Yes.

Short update because it's late but Scott personally worked on the car today and it's a worlds difference. No drone cruising and pending throttle/load the only minor drone is between 1,200-1,500 rpm. In that band you're essentially lugging the engine though.

As a first revision it's wonderful. I'll be sending Scott an email after a week or so of testing and we will go from there to see if any minor things need addressed.
What did they do?(change) to reduce drone.

OP
OP

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What did they do?(change) to reduce drone.
Its a cool science really. After we determined the RPM range that was causing the drone Scott did some math to determine our solution. Essentially - He built a chamber in the H-pipe that blocks a certain frequency. A lot of people simply do a J-pipe coming off the exhaust and that works but Scott built this chamber that looks clean and does the job quite well. I'll get pictures when its on the lift the next time.

Below is some reading material on exhaust resonance if anyone is interested.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...xhaust-resonator-tube-eliminate-drone-489463/

Sponsored

BackInBlack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Any updates now that you've had it for a week? I'm looking at MRT's exhaust as well. How much more did they charge to fix the drone? I talked with a rep and he said the mod wasn't included with the standard exhaust.

OP
OP

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any updates now that you've had it for a week? I'm looking at MRT's exhaust as well. How much more did they charge to fix the drone? I talked with a rep and he said the mod wasn't included with the standard exhaust.
Drone is all gone. I actually just exchanged emails today with someone there and Scott said he wanted to change a few things up for testing purposes.

Mine is being done free. I figured they would be fixing this as a standard procedure. Let me talk to them and see what I can figure out if you can wait a few days.

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
That is some pretty awesome customer service. I'm on the fence between SW and MRT catbacks.

OP
OP

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is some pretty awesome customer service. I'm on the fence between SW and MRT catbacks.
Indeed. I have been more than thrilled with the customer service. Personally the SW catback had some weird noise up top, almost like a tinny rasp. Hardly noticeable but it was there, may sound different in person though.

Probably can't go wrong with either but I preferred the MRT sound from my research and I'm more than happy with how it sounds. I get compliments all the time.

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
did the change they made, have any other effect on the sound other than drone?
Sponsored