nixopaxo

#Team Roush
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
STEVIE
Vehicle(s)
17gt
so ... MY17 cost me 35ish , MY 18 nearly 50 ish !!!!

Its gonna be so easy for me now to justify the price of a blower to er indoors :)
Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
At £36k the mustang was a no brainier. I could live with the cheap bits and poor panel fit because it had a great V8 and looked cool. Even at £36k I looked at used alternatives like the xkr, Maserati gt and bmw 650i. The ones I could stretch to were all too old or too leggy compared to the new stang. But at £50k I could pick up a lovely example of the above with low miles and quite recent. And I wouldn’t need to pu up with the cheap build quality.
If I were looking now I couldn’t justify 550.2 sadly

Matrix2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
£10K more than my MY17 is too much for me. I sold the MY17 because I could not live with the car as a keeper, cost cutting all over the place (crap headlights, poor panel fit, plastic parts and handbrake on wrong side to name but a few), loved the look and sound (after exhaust mod) sadly the £10k price hike wont fix the things that really got under my skin over time, is the MY a better car, yes, it has really improved the bits I liked (although not the look!), but not fixed what I didn't!! For me the small suspension changes I made made it handle good enough as a GT, I would have loved Magneride and I would personally have paid for it had it been a option.... but I would personally rather a few years old F type or M4/M6 than a new Mustang at £46k... But I do reckon anyone getting an MY18 will love them.... enjoy.

Avalyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've only had my 66 Mustang a few months so have no intention of changing it, the only items I think that would interest me from the new model are the active exhaust and the mag ride but that would require my car + @15K and that's appears rather expensive :D .. I've absolutely no interest in the auto box or the digital dash.

If I had a budget of 45K, and HAD to buy new I still think that there's very little competition. I suspect I'd look at an RS3 saloon but the S-Tronic would put me off and after adding options to the Audi it would likely be a 50K+ car. A few years ago I'd be looking at Cayman/Boxster but not now with the blown 4 pot.

I don't tend to buy new though, and given 45K (rather than the 35K I gave myself as a budget when I found the Mustang) it opens up a whole new world really - M3, 997.2 911, C63 AMG and I'm now not 100% sure my money is going on the Ford :shrug:

I've promised myself a 911 by the time I'm 50, and for me the 997.2 is the right balance between modern and old school, and I still get to own a naturally aspirated manual car :clap2:

I guess a lot may depend on the PCP deals too. The residual value of the 15-17 Mustang was laughably low.

I do think that the prices will firm up used values of v8 Mustangs and can't see them following the normal depreciation curve. I mean can anyone see a 15 Mustang (say 36K new) being worth 50% of it's new price next year?

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
It would be interesting to compare the MY18 prices in the European markets currency (€) to see how much Ford has factored in the weaker GBP (£) for UK prices

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I've only had my 66 Mustang a few months so have no intention of changing it, the only items I think that would interest me from the new model are the active exhaust and the mag ride but that would require my car + @15K and that's appears rather expensive :D .. I've absolutely no interest in the auto box or the digital dash.

If I had a budget of 45K, and HAD to buy new I still think that there's very little competition. I suspect I'd look at an RS3 saloon but the S-Tronic would put me off and after adding options to the Audi it would likely be a 50K+ car. A few years ago I'd be looking at Cayman/Boxster but not now with the blown 4 pot.

I don't tend to buy new though, and given 45K (rather than the 35K I gave myself as a budget when I found the Mustang) it opens up a whole new world really - M3, 997.2 911, C63 AMG and I'm now not 100% sure my money is going on the Ford :shrug:

I've promised myself a 911 by the time I'm 50, and for me the 997.2 is the right balance between modern and old school, and I still get to own a naturally aspirated manual car :clap2:

I guess a lot may depend on the PCP deals too. The residual value of the 15-17 Mustang was laughably low.

I do think that the prices will firm up used values of v8 Mustangs and can't see them following the normal depreciation curve. I mean can anyone see a 15 Mustang (say 36K new) being worth 50% of it's new price next year?

You have to get a 911 man, by far one if not the best driving cars on the road.

997.2 GTS is the sweet pick though any 997.2, 991.1 or 991.2 C2/C2S/C4S are simply superb cars. Avoid the older ones, engines made from chocolate.

I know the new car is a lot more expensive, on paper it looks 10k more, but in reality it is 3k more.

I just priced up an MY17 with as many of the same options as possible and it came to £42,685 !!

So yes the 18 is costing me £6000 than equivalent MY17 but that £6000 gets me:
- A better engine with more power and torque
- Newer 10 speed automatic that is faster
- Active DRL's nearly £1000 to retrofit
- A gorgeous sounding and loud exhaust stock that is active, would cost £2000+ to fit an active to an MY17
- Magnetic suspension option, would cost around £2000 to fit coilovers and all the other stuff to stop the float 15-17 has.
- Digital dash, some hate, I love it so ner ner :lol:
- Nicer leather and interior, not that fussed on this, I thought the 15 was fine!
- Better tyres, I cope with pzero until I'd worn them out, but the Michelin MPSS were a decent upgrade, PS4S more so and they last much much longer, thats about a grand to those who were binning the pzero pretty much straight away
- Oh and I get Recaro's easily about £2000 to retrofit !!!

The upgrades the car has is in the region of £5000 worth of mods you'd do on a 15 to bring it upto scratch, exhaust and suspension being the two biggest weakness of the 15-17 cars and decent stuff there is an easy £3000, you can save some on that or you can spend more.

So yes its more expensive, but I can at least see what the extra dosh is getting me.

The front-end, I was skeptical, but now I am seeing owners videos I actually think it looks nicer but it does need PP/Mag car to do so as it needs to be low otherwise it all looks a bit goofy. The rest of the car particular rear looks much better.

So though I'd still like it to be closer to 45k with the options, better the money in my pocket than Ford's I can see where the price increase has come from.

In short Ford gave us what we wanted, more options, now most are crying over it. You do realise you do not have to have the options, they were not available on 15-17 but in my view anyone not picking the magneride option is silly, it gives you pretty much a GT 350 in the handling department and at £1600 that is freaking epic bargain of the century. DSSV damper, DSC controller, GT 350 lower arms, counter wound springs, knuckles, hubs, bearings would cost you vastly more than £1600 and the simple fact is its probably not possible to retro fit due to the DSC controller that integrates with the cars ECU systems.

P.S. FAO: FORD, this is a 50k car, I will not accept panel gaps, shoddy service so you best get your act together in that department, you want BMW/Audi prices, I want BMW/Audi quality, over and out!

Avalyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Oh, don't get me wrong @45K for a new warrantied 5.0v8 with active exhaust, mag ride, wonderful presence etc. etc. is still a stupendous bargain and there really isn't anything else out there to even compare :thumbsup: and we all love a bit of man maths to justify the spend :D

I guess where I'm coming from is I paid a little over 33K for my car, and the cash needed for me to jump to a new 18 doesn't seem worth it for what is effectively the same car, refreshed with 'better' bits rather than a ground up new one. A new one, for me, isn't worth my car + 15K for my limited usage.

If I happened to want to spend 15K on a car, it's likely going to have to go on something for my (soon to be) 17 year old. I can't see her getting insured for the Mustang or being happy learning to drive in it :D

For 45K I think I'd be scratching the 997.2 itch. Part of that is the promise I made myself and also I haven't had one yet. I'm sure if I had a 997.2 and fancied a change I'd be looking at a Mustang :cool:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Brace yourselves gibbo's my18 is going to come out the box with wonky panels just for the P.S FAO statement above lol!

23TGrabberBlue

Grabber Blue Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 EcoBoost Grabber Blue
P.S. FAO: FORD, this is a 50k car, I will not accept panel gaps, shoddy service so you best get your act together in that department, you want BMW/Audi prices, I want BMW/Audi quality, over and out!
Here here!! To be honest, the above should be true of any car over £25K. Even Dacia can fit panels and fuel flaps correctly.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, don't get me wrong @45K for a new warrantied 5.0v8 with active exhaust, mag ride, wonderful presence etc. etc. is still a stupendous bargain and there really isn't anything else out there to even compare :thumbsup: and we all love a bit of man maths to justify the spend :D

I guess where I'm coming from is I paid a little over 33K for my car, and the cash needed for me to jump to a new 18 doesn't seem worth it for what is effectively the same car, refreshed with 'better' bits rather than a ground up new one. A new one, for me, isn't worth my car + 15K for my limited usage.

If I happened to want to spend 15K on a car, it's likely going to have to go on something for my (soon to be) 17 year old. I can't see her getting insured for the Mustang or being happy learning to drive in it :D

For 45K I think I'd be scratching the 997.2 itch. Part of that is the promise I made myself and also I haven't had one yet. I'm sure if I had a 997.2 and fancied a change I'd be looking at a Mustang :cool:

997.2 is a simply amazing car, I had a 997.1 C2S aerokit, absolutely sublime to drive, I did like 15 track days in it, never once missed a beat even with chocolate made engine.

Porsche got rid of the god aweful tiptronic with 997.2 and introduced PDK, just make sure you get a sports wheel car with paddles, the buttons on the none sports wheel cars are woeful.

But I get 911's and I prefer their handling style to any other car I've driven, most people cry about understeer, that is because they don't know how to drive them, though every generation and revision update Porsche do the understeer becomes less and less even for the ham fisted drivers. But for me the traction the rear engine setup provides and the challenge they give you the driver behind the wheel, well as a drivers car nothing compares to them, absolutely nothing, bloody epic. Also they are probably the best sounding car inside the cabin ever, those flat 6 howl as they climb over 7000rpm and give a real harmonic sound throughout the cabin, it is so damn addictive.

Have a listen to this, its me driving a 991.1 GT3 RS, the noise was epic and I never got it as high as 9000rpm:

[ame]

It is simply my dream car, nothing really can compete with them on a driving experience, they are just driving perfection.

But you need around 150k, LOL!

Downside is a Mustang sounds much better from the outside and the punch and pull a V8 generates is very addictive, the Porsches really need 350 plus horsepower to match a 450 horsepower Mustang and most of Mustang owners want 500 horsepower which in a 911 you need 400 to match and unfortunately not many 911's have north of 400HP unless you buy GTS/GT which are proper big money.

Could go 911 turbo, but they sound pretty junk are a far more numb driving experience compared to a Carrera or GT3 in my view, but they do hammer a road into submission, nothing will beat a 911 turbo on road or track and in the wet they are monsters, they make a GTR look feeble. :D

What I love about Porsches (4WD models and Turbo excluded), they are so much fun at all speeds, like the Mustang, you smile at 30mph as much as you do at 130mph, which for me a 911 and Mustang excel at. Just try to stick with the RWD 911's, trust me they do not need AWD traction they have so much grip.

Sponsored

Avalyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've had an RS60 Spyder, with PSE and the howl from that flat 6 was wonderful. Met my current missus shortly after though, and I have a daughter from a previous marriage. No use for a 2 seater car and the old Pajero I had to run alongside, basically stopped running so I swapped both for an X5 (it lasted 6 weeks :lol:)

I had a 987.2 Boxster S last year, PDK with the Sports steering wheel and paddles. I totally agree the standard wheel with buttons is crap :doh: .. I had the rear box mod by Carnewal. What a noise :love: as the flat 6 climbed up to 7,200 although I think the older non DFI engines do sound better. Just make sure you have a warranty if you have one :mad:

I'll be looking for a 997.2 manual when I change next, just don't want an auto in any form no matter how good. I don't do track days, and my car needs to be as much fun at 30 as it is at 130, and sound great. The Mustang and 911 are both firmly in that category.

I like a sharp throttle response (so naturally aspirated or supercharged for me please) :cool: too.

Ruby red Mustang or Carmine Red 911 manual with sports exhaust for me next please Santa :D

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had an RS60 Spyder, with PSE and the howl from that flat 6 was wonderful. Met my current missus shortly after though, and I have a daughter from a previous marriage. No use for a 2 seater car and the old Pajero I had to run alongside, basically stopped running so I swapped both for an X5 (it lasted 6 weeks :lol:)

I had a 987.2 Boxster S last year, PDK with the Sports steering wheel and paddles. I totally agree the standard wheel with buttons is crap :doh: .. I had the rear box mod by Carnewal. What a noise :love: as the flat 6 climbed up to 7,200 although I think the older non DFI engines do sound better. Just make sure you have a warranty if you have one :mad:

I'll be looking for a 997.2 manual when I change next, just don't want an auto in any form no matter how good. I don't do track days, and my car needs to be as much fun at 30 as it is at 130, and sound great. The Mustang and 911 are both firmly in that category.

I like a sharp throttle response (so naturally aspirated or supercharged for me please) :cool: too.

Ruby red Mustang or Carmine Red 911 manual with sports exhaust for me next please Santa :D

As a manual is a must, just save for the best car Porsche made, Cayman GT4, one of the best looking cars on the road and absolutely the best drivers car pretty much in existence and they are around 75k now, I reckon next year they will drop sub 70k if your lucky and will pretty much hold value there and then maybe start going up again to 90-100k levels as they are so good and rare.

Guy near me has a yellow one and the presence on the road equals a Mustang, it stands out so much in a good way, actually looks like a Ferrari as its approaching, then you see the huge race car wing and I just smile and give him a thumbs up when I see him which he always returned when I had Mustang, now in the Golf he don't notice me, LOL! :D

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Feels like the end of the ethos of the Mustang. Go to any Mustang meet and even the S550s are all different. It doesn’t feel like the modding will be the same. Still a great car but Ford are after a different buyer now.

How much is a fully spec’d GT vert auto?
no they are not
You got it dirt cheap last time, as they were testing the water, and you want it dirt cheap this time, was never going to happen
if you want a Fully Loaded GT look at importing from Canada, will work out a lot cheaper
Sorted !!:cheers:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Best of luck with that ;)

jasonlycett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar f typ V8S, Ford GT40 (Superformance)
I've also drove F-Type, V6S, sweet sweet handling car, just about right but not fast enough. I drove the V8 one and everytime I went near the power it just broke loose, the handling on that car was nothing short of terrible, way to short of wheelbase with a chassis that cannot handle over 400HP, let alone 500+ it would have to be an AWD model F-Type at which type I am at 911 money and the Boxster is a better drive than an F-Type let alone a 911.

Couldn't disagree with you more on the F-type v8 handling. I just did a track day at Silverstone and blitzed everything and I only own a v8 convertible with 2 wd. The traction control systems are so good it will never let go unless you drive like an idiot. If you switch off all the systems then of course it will twitch with colossal torque and 2 wd !!

The balance on the limit is sublime, the nose tucks in beautifully for a heavy weight car and it's so much fun balancing the rear end on the limit. Just watch the numerous reviews on you tube to back this up such as chris Harris's review against the 911 and aston v8.
Sponsored