Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
Maybe it is not the price point, but in my case, the fact that my 2003 and 1998 Mustangs both have better panel fitment then my 2015 Mustang is disappointing. I still love the car, but really...

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I don't know about you, but any car over $30,000 is a lot of money to me.
I'm sorry to say, but the average new car cost is over $30k.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Before you hem and haw over Ford quality, look into Alpha Romeo, et. al. -- most Mustangs are of a totally acceptable quality, and they are one of the most stylish cars at any price. The S550 is a tremendous value.

Sponsored

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
Before you hem and haw over Ford quality, look into Alpha Romeo, et. al. -- most Mustangs are of a totally acceptable quality, and they are one of the most stylish cars at any price. The S550 is a tremendous value.
That's what I'm trying to get people to realize here. Maybe I'm not being direct enough in my posts...

For some reason, many people here seem to believe that the S550 is plagued with, interior panel issues, AC issues, overheating issues, etc. When you actually sit back and think about it, though, the number of people reporting issues on the forums is miniscule compared to the total number of cars produced. On top of that, many of those issues, especially the overheating, is due in large part to misuse by the owner.

People complaining about their interior panels not fitting just right on a car that is priced at average-below average new car cost is laughable. Pay below average, get below average.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
That's what I'm trying to get people to realize here. Maybe I'm not being direct enough in my posts...

For some reason, many people here seem to believe that the S550 is plagued with, interior panel issues, AC issues, overheating issues, etc. When you actually sit back and think about it, though, the number of people reporting issues on the forums is miniscule compared to the total number of cars produced. On top of that, many of those issues, especially the overheating, is due in large part to misuse by the owner.

People complaining about their interior panels not fitting just right on a car that is priced at average-below average new car cost is laughable. Pay below average, get below average.

Overheating issues? The ecoboost, or the GT? I saw a post several years ago when a GT went up in flames - but that's not the norm. The Ford modular engine has only gotten incrementally better as it evolves. Most people who have owned Coyote-equipped cars have nothing but high praise for them - sure, you can run into problems if you add forced induction without proper supporting modifications such as a billet oil pump gear, etc. As I watch my temperatures, I don't think I have yet hit 220 for the head temp more than a couple of times, and only briefly.

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
Overheating issues? The ecoboost, or the GT? I saw a post several years ago when a GT went up in flames - but that's not the norm. The Ford modular engine has only gotten incrementally better as it evolves. Most people who have owned Coyote-equipped cars have nothing but high praise for them - sure, you can run into problems if you add forced induction without proper supporting modifications such as a billet oil pump gear, etc. As I watch my temperatures, I don't think I have yet hit 220 for the head temp more than a couple of times, and only briefly.
I meant the Advancetrac issue that some people are experiencing after a single lap around the AutoX.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP

Sure, but the number of people, in general, who post on these forums is minuscule to the number of cars produced.

I for one, have the driver vent rattle and the rattle coming from the passenger side rear interior panel. Both of which have been well documented (at least earlier on) in this forum with many people having the same issue.

I've also have read a lot lately about the ac evaporator going.

If our small sample size (compared to mustangs sold) of members are seeing these issues, you better believe the general (non-forum complaining) public are seeing them too in reasonable numbers.

Now, is this acceptable in a car at this price point, to me, probably, but I sure do wish I didn't have the rattles.

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I've got to disagree with this last part. A car (any car) is most people's most expensive purchase other than a house. People expect their $500 cell phone to have perfect fit/finish, they expect their $1500 TV to have perfect fit/finish. I don't think it is too much to expect a $15,000 car to have perfect fit/finish, let alone a $25K or $30K or $40K car. In 2017 that's pretty much the standard.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I've got to disagree with this last part. A car (any car) is most people's most expensive purchase other than a house. People expect their $500 cell phone to have perfect fit/finish, they expect their $1500 TV to have perfect fit/finish. I don't think it is too much to expect a $15,000 car to have perfect fit/finish, let alone a $25K or $30K or $40K car. In 2017 that's pretty much the standard.
There is a huge difference in the tolerance stack on a 3 inch cellphone compared to mustang. Maintaining a high level of precision on larger parts is extremely expensive.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a huge difference in the tolerance stack on a 3 inch cellphone compared to mustang. Maintaining a high level of precision on larger parts is extremely expensive.
And cars do cost more. Every car maker in the world (including Ford) has pretty much figured it out. I have a fairly new (2 year) old Toyota that cost $27K and was assembled in the USA that is pretty much perfect. I think people are really doing a disservice to just give Ford a pass on QC because a Mustang doesn't cost as much as a BMW. Lot's of car makers are making essentially perfect cars that cost less.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
And cars do cost more. Every car maker in the world (including Ford) has pretty much figured it out. I have a fairly new (2 year) old Toyota that cost $27K and was assembled in the USA that is pretty much perfect. I think people are really doing a disservice to just give Ford a pass on QC because a Mustang doesn't cost as much as a BMW. Lot's of car makers are making essentially perfect cars that cost less.
Cars cost more because they have a shitload more components, engineering, regulations etc.

Every car has it's issues (including BMW). Hell, the BMW I owned was the most troubled car I have ever owned.

By the way, does that $27K toyota have a 435HP V8? It's pretty damn close in price to a base V8 mustang...so it should be packing similar horsepower being that close in price, no?

Honestly, I think some people are just more picky than others. I have a few issues on my mustang that aren't out of the ordinary compared to new Honda's I've owned.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars cost more because they have a shitload more components, engineering, regulations etc.

Every car has it's issues (including BMW). Hell, the BMW I owned was the most troubled car I have ever owned.

By the way, does that $27K toyota have a 435HP V8? It's pretty damn close in price to a base V8 mustang...so it should be packing similar horsepower being that close in price, no?

Honestly, I think some people are just more picky than others. I have a few issues on my mustang that aren't out of the ordinary compared to new Honda's I've owned.
Not my point, if I had a $15,000 Toyota I could have said the same thing, I just don't have one. The size of the engine makes no difference in things like body panel fit. I believe that it is not unreasonable to expect those "little things" to be done correctly in a bargain basement Toyota Yaris, Hyundai Elantra or Mercedes S class and everything in between. In 2017 the minimum standard of mass assembly line products is pretty high.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Mustangs. From what I have seen on the lots, body panel fit is mostly fine (I did see one ugly rear bumper panel gap). I just don't like it when people start giving Ford (or Honda, or Toyota) a pass on something that really should be a given.
Sponsored