Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Yes exactly - 10 speed autos, magneride, digital dial etc. If you want all that you'd be better off buying an Audi or similar. I like tech with the Sync 3, Android Auto etc but not when it gets to the point that you're essentially buying an Audi but with a dropey front. Saying that, the expected extra power and revs for the 18 is attractive (especially with a stick, without magneride and the black wheels), if only they'd not ruined the front and not stuck a Toyota spoiler on the back (what was wrong with the GT350 style?).
Word. I wish they would have done the same as they did with the change from MY 12 to 13 (GT 500 front end) and given the MY 18 the GT350 front end.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The 2011's hit way before August 2010. I drove one late June of 2010.

The 5.0's power figures were announced in December 2009, 2011 production started in May of 2010.
Mine arrived in March

Definitely March 2010, maybe even end of February. It was crazy early.

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
Tough call, I'm in the same spot. The 15-17 is proven and reliable, you know what you get. With the 18 we don't know yet. Also, the Mustang is turning from an American Pony car more and more into a European luxury sports car, imo (heated steering wheel for example). I do like tech but the more you have, the more can/will break. With the FL, they are "testing" new tech which will be standard on the 20/21 model year I suppose.
Yes exactly - 10 speed autos, magneride, digital dial etc. If you want all that you'd be better off buying an Audi or similar. I like tech with the Sync 3, Android Auto etc but not when it gets to the point that you're essentially buying an Audi but with a dropey front. Saying that, the expected extra power and revs for the 18 is attractive (especially with a stick, without magneride and the black wheels), if only they'd not ruined the front and not stuck a Toyota spoiler on the back (what was wrong with the GT350 style?).
From MY18 and going forward. Ford will only be implementing more and more technology into their products. If people think the 18 is to luxury / European then they will surely dread the direction Ford takes in the s650 and beyond.

And what is wrong with the GT350 style is exactly that. It was made for the GT350 and not a cheaper GT.

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
Although we won't know numbers. The order brochure will be out on or before 7/17/2017? Meaning we will know all costs, package contents etc?

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I really doubt they're changing over the production lines in a weekend. IIRC even going from 16s to 17s had the plant shut down for at least a week I think. Is it possible for that info to be wrong?

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
I really doubt they're changing over the production lines in a weekend. IIRC even going from 16s to 17s had the plant shut down for at least a week I think. Is it possible for that info to be wrong?
Could just begin shutting down the lines over time as the deadline nears. With the final line being ready to go in the time gap between the end 17 and start of 18. Similar to turnaround on units at a refinery process except they're doing maintenance of course.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
The 15-17's aren't exactly bullet proof. They're still having problems with fualty AC units, non cooling seats that are supposed to be cooling, MT-82's that grind when cold, drive line vibration when cruising at freeway speed, misaligned bumpers and panels.

The thing I find wierd is the '18s will start being built only 3 days after the '17s have stopped. There must not be to many changes on the actual production line since they're changing model years over a weekend.
You do realize this is not a brand new car just a refresh? Most of the same parts will be in the 18-19 cars....

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
They are building pre-production cars concurrently with the MY17 until they get to just before MP1 build (in the early fall). Once they get to MP1, it's only MY18 vehicles. Since this is a refresh and not a new model, the vast majority of assembly tooling is identical, as is the assembly process. The '18 F-150 is already at MP1.

tonyd1

US NAVY,US ARMY,USCG-RET
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Ruby Red PP,Automatic
I just had my 2017 sent to the dealer to go to the body shop to have my right passenger door adjusted. It was rubbing on the inside part of the front quarter panel and they had to adjust the door and fix the paint rubbing off. I'm glad it was on the inner part because the entire car has Opticoat Pro + and the front half has Suntek Ultra on it. They didn't have to touch that thankfully and the issue was minor.

The rest of the body panels are aligned, and the rear window looks good as well. This isn't exactly the easiest car to put together with all the lines, edges, and curves to be honest. No driveline vibration, my A/C is working, no rattles, and my cooled seats are working. Then again I only have about 500 miles, so I need more time.

With a catback, long tube headers, intake, wheels/tires, and a tune, I think my 2017 will be just fine. What matters most is I am really enjoying it and having a blast. I'm sure the 2018 will do the same for many as well.
JUST A THOUGHT, IF THESE CARS ARE HAVING QUALITY CONTROL ISSUES MAYBE FORD SHOULD BE LOOKING AT THE FINAL INSPECTION PROCESS AND CORRECT ANY ISSUES SPOTTED, NOT SHIPPING THEM SCREWED UP !:doh:

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
JUST A THOUGHT, IF THESE CARS ARE HAVING QUALITY CONTROL ISSUES MAYBE FORD SHOULD BE LOOKING AT THE FINAL INSPECTION PROCESS AND CORRECT ANY ISSUES SPOTTED, NOT SHIPPING THEM SCREWED UP !:doh:
I think your caps lock is on.

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
Use your inside voice, please!

Determining the presence of systematic QC issues from a few posts on a forum is just not possible. Plus, it's only a ~$35k car...

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Use your inside voice, please!

Determining the presence of systematic QC issues from a few posts on a forum is just not possible. Plus, it's only a ~$35k car...
I don't know about you, but any car over $30,000 is a lot of money to me.

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
I don't know about you, but any car over $30,000 is a lot of money to me.
I agree, but expecting perfection from any mass produced product is asinine. Things get through the cracks, but the vast majority of cars coming off the line are as good as they can possibly get.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I agree, but expecting perfection from any mass produced product is asinine. Things get through the cracks, but the vast majority of cars coming off the line are as good as they can possibly get.
I mentioned in another thread that this car isn't necessarily the easiest to put together either with all the lines, curves, and edges. My paint protection guy said this is one of the more difficult hoods aside from Jaguar to put on PPF because of the lines. A lot more room for error with air bubbles.
Sponsored