Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
For the 2015 MY, they made us wait forever......only to get 15hp.
This is why everybody is nervous. We're afraid of a whole bunch of changes and promises only to get 10-15hp bump.:frusty:
The 15 WAS a whole bunch of promises and delivered in almost every way and more . The coyote was fairly fresh in 11. The entire bloody car was new and blows away all the previous gen turds ford built put together. It's finally a refined quality sports car with a ton of potential and huge aftermarket to go whichever direction you choose. I'm sure they want to get it close to the camaro. I think hp will easily exceed theirs but torque will still be lacking. I wouldn't be surprised nor care if the camaro is still faster. It's brand new and already on its deathbed.

With a higher rpm limiter it's a guarantee it's over 455. Was only a worry if the limiter wasn't increased as in the past they always cam and long runner the motors for torque because they think Americans want low end. Meanwhile every Joe blow goes nut-swinging over the gt350s mill. Rpm is power.. if they up the rpm (which imo is the strengths of a dohc motor) the hp will increase an acceptable amount.
Sponsored

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
475 (250 on 87 octane)

Sarcasm aside, I think you have a point about government regs. The engine can be capable of 500+ HP with dual port fuel, compression, and a raised rev limit but if they have to save gas and emissions they will have to tune it to meet specs.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Granted the f150 has diff heads and cams, does anyone still think a tq bump of 40+ is still possible or likely not? I'm curious cause I am in the camp of the 18 needs a big power and tq bump to stay relevant, the other improvements won't mean anything without the proper hp and tq bumps.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Granted the f150 has diff heads and cams, does anyone still think a tq bump of 40+ is still possible or likely not? I'm curious cause I am in the camp of the 18 needs a big power and tq bump to stay relevant, the other improvements won't mean anything without the proper hp and tq bumps.
The real question is, why does the F150 only receive a 10HP and 13 lb-ft bump? Is it to keep the ecoboost the torque king? Is it because Ford focused on emissions and fuel economy? Or is it to keep some on the table for later?

With such a little bump for the F150, I find it hard to believe the mustang is going to be much more than a 20 hp and 30lb-ft bump.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I was questioning that too. I get its the truck version of the motor but wow way less than I thought. I hope the mustang blows it out of the water.

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
The 15 WAS a whole bunch of promises and delivered in almost every way and more . The coyote was fairly fresh in 11. The entire bloody car was new and blows away all the previous gen turds ford built put together. It's finally a refined quality sports car with a ton of potential and huge aftermarket to go whichever direction you choose. I'm sure they want to get it close to the camaro. I think hp will easily exceed theirs but torque will still be lacking. I wouldn't be surprised nor care if the camaro is still faster. It's brand new and already on its deathbed.

With a higher rpm limiter it's a guarantee it's over 455. Was only a worry if the limiter wasn't increased as in the past they always cam and long runner the motors for torque because they think Americans want low end. Meanwhile every Joe blow goes nut-swinging over the gt350s mill. Rpm is power.. if they up the rpm (which imo is the strengths of a dohc motor) the hp will increase an acceptable amount.
I'm a Ford Guy.
Go over to the Yellow Bullet and they will tell you this.
Now with that said, the 6th Gen is barely a 12 second car. Low to mid 13's are the norm.
The car is slow by today's standards. More like a 5 1/2 Gen when it comes to handling.
Straight line performance in fact suffered.
Not everybody street races and most will never see a road course.
So yea, I'm worried about this refresh.
The praise and hype the Demon received should tell everybody just how much the 1320 matters.
I'm praying that this refresh will bring some much needed good news.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I'm a Ford Guy.
Go over to the Yellow Bullet and they will tell you this.
Now with that said, the 6th Gen is barely a 12 second car. Low to mid 13's are the norm.
The car is slow by today's standards. More like a 5 1/2 Gen when it comes to handling.
Straight line performance in fact suffered.
Not everybody street races and most will never see a road course.
So yea, I'm worried about this refresh.
The praise and hype the Demon received should tell everybody just how much the 1320 matters.
I'm praying that this refresh will bring some much needed good news.
The 6th Gen is hampered severely by wheel hop and torque management. When those 2 items are resolved and a decent set of tires are bolted on, the S550 is a solid mid 12 second car.

With that said, Ford hit a home run with the S550....even with it being on par acceleration wise as the previous gen. There is a reason they sold the shit out of them....and this shows the 1320 matters less today than it ever has.

As for the Demon, I consider it's purely a publicity stunt. Not only will it never end up in the hands of Joe public, but it's flat out dangerous on the street and strip. Honestly, I don't need a 9 second street car...I need an enjoyable daily driver.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Thanks s550 is also the cheapest of th v8s

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
The new Mustang is not getting DFI, it is getting twin-fuel injection, w/both DFI & Port Injection. And a bump in compression.

Nobody really cares about stock horsepower, that is all government regulated bs, what matters (& what's missing in current engines) is torque.
And slightly more displacement if I remember correctly.

Sponsored

BradleyMac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Lincoln MKC & 2010 F150
And slightly more displacement if I remember correctly.
Whats missing from this hp/tq/improvements discussion is .... what the heck is all this going to cost?? I really wanted to wait for the 2018 but wanted a specific build aka I was ordering a new one and there weren't any used or new 2017's on the lot that met my wants. And I only had so much that I wanted to spend. So without having the 2018 info in hand before the 2017 order date came and went I was essentially forced into buying the 2017 known bird in hand as I could get what I wanted at the cost I could afford. Had I waited for the 2018 I may not have got everything I wanted as the price might be prohibitive without all the info. available before the 2017 order door was closed.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
For those that are trying to extrapolate what the hp rating will be because of the F150 are sorely missing one main component. That is max rpm, the F150 is tuned for low rpm performance not top end power. This is where the Mustangs engine is going to shine.

Dave

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
For those that are trying to extrapolate what the hp rating will be because of the F150 are sorely missing one main component. That is max rpm, the F150 is tuned for low rpm performance not top end power. This is where the Mustangs engine is going to shine.

Dave
And that's where you'll see the additional 10-15 hp. 20-25hp is going to be what the 2018 is getting.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Why doesn't someone just post the OEM HP curve? All we have to do is extrapolate out the extra 500 rpm, because the graph is essentially a straight line. The you'll have your answer, based on rpm alone (not compression).

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Why doesn't someone just post the OEM HP curve? All we have to do is extrapolate out the extra 500 rpm, because the graph is essentially a straight line. The you'll have your answer, based on rpm alone (not compression).
I'm afraid it doesn't work that way.
Sponsored