N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve seen so many cars driving around with makeshift exhausts and they usually sound terrible. I’ve yet to hear a good one. These systems are designed to fit and sound good. Just find a used set if you don’t have or don’t want to spend the money. I got my ATAKs used on CL for half retail. People are buying and selling exhaust all the time.
"Makeshift exhausts" aka custom exhausts have been around forever. Surprised you've yet to hear a nice one.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I'm new to the Mustang world - but not to modifying cars / exhausts. If you can weld, it's a no brainer. If you can't, do you have a good local exhaust shop you can go to that won't charge an arm and a leg?

$400+ for an axle back is ridiculous. You aren't gaining any power (enough that dyno / weather / temp variance wouldn't account for). It's all about sound.

Find a good local exhaust shop that does custom dual exhaust etc. I GUARANTEE you a decent shop will have already done MULTIPLE 5.0 cars and can tell you what sounds good and what doesn't.

I wanted a full catback on my V6 car - so I scored a great deal on a very lightly used stainless MBRP exhaust (Designed for the GT) and it bolted right on and sounds great. Zero drone. Used stuff is always a good option.

Crawl under your car. Measure your OEM mufflers. Note the outlet / inlet (offset, center / center etc) then go online and look at Borla / Magnaflow's catalogs for universal mufflers. Many exhaust shops have 'knock off' generic mufflers that closely resemble and sound like the major brands as well.

If it's about SOUND (and that's what replacing an axle back is about) then the stock exhaust piping itself is fine.

A good friend just wanted sound on his GT He measured his mufflers, ordered 2 Borla mufflers that fit those measurements / orientation from Amazon, went to the local shop and had 'em installed. It was still quite a bit cheaper than the cheapest axle back.

YMMV
:thumbsup:

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Anybody weight the factory axle backs vs aftermarket ones? Betting the stocker is a lightweight. I would expect to see more then a couple horse or so gain on any axle back.
Didn't put them on a scale but the stock mufflers I cut off my 15 were significantly heavier than the Magnaflow s I put on.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Any idea on the wall thickness on the pipes for that magnaflow axleback?

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
I’ve seen so many cars driving around with makeshift exhausts and they usually sound terrible. I’ve yet to hear a good one. These systems are designed to fit and sound good. Just find a used set if you don’t have or don’t want to spend the money. I got my ATAKs used on CL for half retail. People are buying and selling exhaust all the time.
Well you arent looking hard enough. You say "makeshift" exhausts sound terrible but you go out and get some BLAAAAAHHH ataks?:doh:

Sponsored

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Some people seem to think hacking up the exhaust to install a set of GT500 mufflers is perfectly fine, yet to do the same with some flowmaster 40's is sacrilege.
Which BTW looks to be tons easier to do. I don't get it. :shrug:

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Join a car club and make friends with the people with the tools. I do work for people I am friends with for a beer and a pizza all the time including welding up exhaust.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I did a generic x pipe and Borla XP generic mufflers that sound great. Cost was around $400.00.
I have a set I'm debating putting on mine. What tips do you go with and if your still good with the sound?

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So far:

- $100 for my H-pipe ~ Labor my time.
- $59 x 2 3" in/out Flowmaster 40's + $20 hardware ~ Labor my time.
- $400 + MAK cat deletes (still need to purchase) ~ Labor my time.
- Grand total $640 for a killer sound.

Dual 2.5" is good to 500-550hp, most important is no bottlenecks up to the crossover,
with nice mandrel bends. After the crossover.. doesn't really matter a whole lot.
:thumbsup:

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
If you want to spend more money for a slightly more refined sound and a bolt-on affair, do Corsa. If you want to save money, get some knockoff Magnaflows - like the MAXFlows already mentioned. I have them on my other car with an LS. Sounds good and was ~$30. They are full stainless, no kinks or restrictions inside, so no issues quality-wise. The car has no drone (it does have cats and a straight thru resonator).
I considered doing it on my Mustang too, but ended up getting a Corsa axleback just because I wanted the amazing sound. I already knew from personal experience it wouldn't've droned or had restrictions, but I just think the Coyote sounds so good from Corsa mufflers...
Sponsored