OEM Differential Oil Cooler Install

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
When we get it, I'll make up a folder with all you need to know. Deliver at the first annual CAN/AM meet up :thumbsup:

BTW, tried to do a :usa::canada: thing but apparently this forum doesn't support :canada:...

Working on it on my side, guys want to know where we could meet up ? :shrug:

Well looks like my Ipad supports both countries. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Working on it on my side, guys want to know where we could meet up ? :shrug:

Well looks like my Ipad supports both countries. :thumbsup:
Good point. Iphones do too !

Yes, time to start planning. I assumed I'd cross the border but the way things are now, getting back might be problematic:lol:

Found my passport expired too but I should be getting a new one in a week or so. I'll shoot you an email to discuss details.

jwb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pack, Wht w/ blu
Hey John,
Could speed control mean if the vehicle is in motion? Not necessarily the speed at which the pump operates?

I think we're getting close :thumbsup:
Jim,
I think as long as the engine is running and the sensor temp is over a certain number the pump should be circulating oil. Even if there is no air flow over the cooler, there will still be some heat transfer from the oil to the cooler to the air. That would be better than pump off.
I'm just learning about these PWM motors and I think the speed control signal I'm getting is textbook; narrow pulse for a low average voltage which should widen to increase the average voltage and increase motor speed.
The facts that the PCM reads the resistance change in the temp sensor and the relay to power the pump is present in the BJB leads me to believe, like mattlqx, the answer is there.

I need to monkey with the pump and see if it will just run. I saw on one these threads that someone put power to his pump and it ran. I'll search back through and ask him about it.

Thanks,
John

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
It could be PWM Motor, that would explain my noise. that would explain the diag and speed lines. diag would be the rotor feedback proving to the pcm the shaft is spinning. Speed would control rotation speed. I will investigate bjb 13-5 relay. I don't believe it closes with key on, but is under pcm control. nothing states that pcm would modulate the speed. I did not check my diff temp, as I had no idea what noise was from and then it quit. I will monitor now!
'

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So has anybody installed the two relays, patched all wiring in yet? monitored the pcm relay feed. Then heated the sensor to 300F. would be nice to monitor pcm relay and speed signal from track car. also would nice to take temp sensor heat it see if resistance raises or falls. then we could fake the signal and make it set codes. I have doubt that pcm modulates the speed. They just picked certain pulse rate to get a flow rate.. I'll be really impressed if pcm changes pump rate on temp slew rate. I love this kind of reverse eng. I keep my friends old Kitamura cnc running really fun Japanese wiring schematics and logic tables. I go all way back to IBM punch card programming. Working on this kind of stuff keeps me from getting senile now that I've the reached the Medicare age. He'll that's half the reason I bought the car was play with tech. This thing is even more impressive than my f350 powerstroke.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
So has anybody installed the two relays, patched all wiring in yet? monitored the pcm relay feed. Then heated the sensor to 300F. would be nice to monitor pcm relay and speed signal from track car. also would nice to take temp sensor heat it see if resistance raises or falls. then we could fake the signal and make it set codes. I have doubt that pcm modulates the speed. They just picked certain pulse rate to get a flow rate.. I'll be really impressed if pcm changes pump rate on temp slew rate. I love this kind of reverse eng. I keep my friends old Kitamura cnc running really fun Japanese wiring schematics and logic tables. I go all way back to IBM punch card programming. Working on this kind of stuff keeps me from getting senile now that I've the reached the Medicare age. He'll that's half the reason I bought the car was play with tech. This thing is even more impressive than my f350 powerstroke.
[MENTION=28002]cking[/MENTION],
I have not.
I am stuck in planning my diff pump install. In looking at the pics and info [MENTION=7033]Voodoo[/MENTION] (Scott) posted several pages ago, and the info posted by the OP, [MENTION=21407]kgschrader[/MENTION] (Kirby), about the Tech main harness not supporting the harnesses recommended by Scott, a theory remains the '17 Electronics main underbody harness might be what Tech owners need for at least a close to OEM install. (in theory, this would allow connections for the Tech features along with the Track diff pump, evap, magnaride...we also need to figure out the Forscan programming if possible.)

As these harnesses are expensive, I have not invested in trying to figure these harnesses out directly but through the generous contributions from our members, I remain hopeful for a solution. I am clueless when you mention relays :shrug:

Some questions I have: is it the main undercarriage harness that splits and connects to Connector 264 on the left side kick panel and it's counterpart on the right? If so, is it a direct switch out from the 16 Tech to the 17 Electronics? This might be a dead horse but it would be good to definitively rule it out. If it is not, what harness(es) do and are they compatible ? Where do the relays you mention come into play?

At this point, I am planning on installing just the diff sensor and running 2, 20 awg wires to connection 264. If successful, this would give me the diff temps and the ability to at least monitor. Info is good :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting the pic for the connection & good luck with your project :cheers:
I appreciate all your help!

Last edited:

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
since I don't have access to wiring diagrams for 2016 I can't help find what is missing. My best guess is the connection from PCM to the BJB isn't there to run the two relays. I would say look at interconnect plugs see what pins are missing compared to a track car. Then if you can find a pin supplier you add them to the harness. Same with the temp harness as that connects to two different controllers.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Here's a photo of a tool for pushing out the drive axles. I'm showing it on the front - just because I happened to already have that wheel off the car. This tool is about half the price of the Rotunda tool, from what I was able to find online.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Well I'd like to say my service appointments go smoothly, but they haven't. Starting to get fed up with this dealer - specifically the shop foreman.

Every time I go into service I talk to the foreman and he never seems to treat me as competent. Always brushes me off.

First encounter: I spoke specifically to the foreman, sales manager, and service manager about the splitter install. They all agreed it would be done right and the video would guide them.

Splitter install was wrong.

Second encounter: oil change and fix the splitter. Splitter fixed! Nice. Oil change done. I specifically spoke to the shop foreman that time too. I told him about the oil filter torque spec. He assured me the tech did it right with his hand tight then 1/2 turn extra. LOL.

The next day I had oil in the ground. I went to the parts store and bought a filter cap wrench. I torqued it myself and got an ADDITIONAL 1/2 turn. Nice.

Third encounter (today): spoke to the foreman again regarding the recall. It would be the dealerships first recall. We spoke about the splitter removal/reinstall and about the oil change. He said Sir, I will personally torque the filter for you. Great I thought.

I pick up the car. Being me I double check everything on the flat road just outside the dealer parking lot. Splitter is not installed correctly!! It has to go back again. Whatever.

The big issue - my car was low 3/4 quart of oil after its change! We came to a conclusion of what happened. The tech changed the oil lines and didn't add the extra quart BEFORE changing the oil. He figured why waste a good quart to drain it again right away. Big mistake. Without adding the quart after the recall, the oil cooler and lines are empty during the change. At least idle the car for a couple minutes to fill the cooler and lines again, then drain it.

The shop foreman who was supposed to double check everything on the car only did the filter torque. Everything else the novice (or "master") tech did and checked over.

I'm going to give an honest review when the survey comes in email. Incompetent management. However, the service manager is good and took care of everything for me. I do have to back again for the splitter.

That's my experience, hope somebody learns something from this.

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Find a new shop, they are incompetent, or at least ignorant. Your GT350 is probably the only one they have ever seen.
You're 100% correct sir. However, they're a huge Ford performance dealer in Canada. Infact, they had the largest allocation of Raptors in the country at 56 units.

Like I said it's the foreman. I'll likely have a talk with the GM about it. And nothing rude, just blantant and honest.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get that sounds like ford Ocala.

Jmk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350
I have an appointment this coming Wednesday with Bozard Ford in St. Augustine for my recall fix and am nervous about it. When I first called I was told I needed to wait until I received a notice, I said, well I received two does that qualify? Then they said sure, bring the car down so we can order the part. WTF and LMAO. Finally talked to a competent service manager who let me text a pic of my mileage and VIN so the parts could get ordered... I then had to call them to find out they are in. Wish me luck. I have heard they are the best Ford service shop around.
Ryan no worries it's just a line a monkey could do the job. As far as the splitter install there is a little trick to it. I just had mine in for the recall and mine was not reinstated correctly. I had the tech remove and reinstall it with me present. Apart from the screws in the back of the splitter, the front plastic snaps keep the splitter in place. There is a center snap right in the peak of the splitter. This is the part that often gets missaling.this will keep your splitter from sitting properly. If that happeneds to yours you might want pull the center portion of the splitter apart to align it. Don't mess with the tabs, pull the center of the splitter apart. This will fix the alignment. At least that's what work on mine. Good luck

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrong thread this rear end oil cooler, not the tyranny, not the recall for engine oil cooler lines.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anybody get the rear end temp sensor or pump working yet?
Sponsored