Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange '22 Chevy Silverado
Here’s a look inside of the MT82-D4.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mt82-d4-rebuild-thread.176240/

I don’t know if the MGW shifter is like the Steeda Tri-Ax Race shifter, but my Tri-Ax came with soft and stiff springs. The soft will give it more of a factory feel and the stiff springs are more race inspired and require a little more effort to manipulate the shift lever.
You sir, after an absolute animal!! You even put a fluid pump on your manual transmission??!! Who does that??
OP, i too have the steeda tri-ax and there's a bushing mount on the rear of the shifter that steeda has you replace during install. I don't know how that differs from your shifter. I'll see if i can get a picture of mine next time i raise the car. Currently it's lowered to the front rotors for coolant draining.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
You sir, after an absolute animal!! You even put a fluid pump on your manual transmission??!! Who does that??
OP, i too have the steeda tri-ax and there's a bushing mount on the rear of the shifter that steeda has you replace during install. I don't know how that differs from your shifter. I'll see if i can get a picture of mine next time i raise the car. Currently it's lowered to the front rotors for coolant draining.
Lol, I figured I shouldn’t let those two empty ports in the transmission housing go to waste, so I decided on adding fittings for the fluid pump.

Mine came with a replacement billet shifter bushing bracket with poly insert as seen in the pics below. The first pic is the factory shifter bushing and the sixth pic is the supplied Steeda bracket and polyurethane bushing. Is that how yours looks?

1683766803624.jpeg

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
Lol, I figured I shouldn’t let those two empty ports in the transmission housing go to waste, so I decided on adding fittings for the fluid pump.

Mine came with a replacement billet shifter bushing bracket with poly insert as seen in the pics below. The first pic is the factory shifter bushing and the sixth pic is the supplied Steeda bracket and polyurethane bushing. Is that how yours looks?

1683766803624.jpeg
I only see the stock one but yes, i replaced mine with the billet one with the poly insert and I honestly think that made more of a a difference than the tri-ax itself did.

OP
OP
VanFiveO

VanFiveO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1
I only see the stock one but yes, i replaced mine with the billet one with the poly insert and I honestly think that made more of a a difference than the tri-ax itself did.
Tried the steeda billet option with the poly bushing and oem shifter. Was an improvement over the flimsy oem mount for sure.

My current setup is mounted directly to the transmission. No longer require the mount.

I'll snap a pic when I get under the car this weekend.

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
Tried the steeda billet option with the poly bushing and oem shifter. Was an improvement over the flimsy oem mount for sure.

My current setup is mounted directly to the transmission. No longer require the mount.

I'll snap a pic when I get under the car this weekend.
Then I'm completely baffled because mine definitely would never go into gear with one finger lol I hope for you, genuinely, that you got one of the best factory built MT-82s available. Keep us posted on any findings please

Sponsored

OP
OP
VanFiveO

VanFiveO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1
Then I'm completely baffled because mine definitely would never go into gear with one finger lol I hope for you, genuinely, that you got one of the best factory built MT-82s available. Keep us posted on any findings please
Maybe I've just got really strong fingers 🤷‍♂️ hahah

I'll keep you posted on what comes out of it.
Thanks!

OP
OP
VanFiveO

VanFiveO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1
Here’s a look inside of the MT82-D4.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mt82-d4-rebuild-thread.176240/

I don’t know if the MGW shifter is like the Steeda Tri-Ax Race shifter, but my Tri-Ax came with soft and stiff springs. The soft will give it more of a factory feel and the stiff springs are more race inspired and require a little more effort to manipulate the shift lever.
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

The MGW didn't come with separate springs but was quite stiff out of the box.

Chooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Ford LTD
Just out of interest, why is going into gear with 1 finger such a good thing?. I feel it should have a positive but mechanical feel to it. I know the MT-82 feel varies from car to car, but I can't fault mine.... Yet.

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
Just out of interest, why is going into gear with 1 finger such a good thing?. I feel it should have a positive but mechanical feel to it. I know the MT-82 feel varies from car to car, but I can't fault mine.... Yet.
You ever drive an Audi S4 with a manual transmission? Specifically a B8 S4??? If not, for funzies, go drive one. You'll be awfully irritated with how your car shifts in comparison. Also, the 1-2 shift isn't jerky and annoying at any speeds or throttle input. Literally every mustang I've ever driven with a manual has had an annoying 1-2 shift. Every other gear is fantastic though assuming you don't get locked out of it 😂😂

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
...My current setup is mounted directly to the transmission. No longer require the mount....
Can you explain the difference in feel between directly mounting the shifter to the trans, and mounting the shifter to the car?

I'd expect mounting directly to the shifter gives more direct feel, but more NVH.

Turbo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt DHG; Electronics, MR, Recaros, Cover, 2017 Explorer Sport Ingot Silver, 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Coming from past Mustangs I have owned, Hurst shifted T5 in a 1986 SVO then a Tremec 3650 in a 2002 Mustang GT, purchased new. The Tremec got a Steeda Tri-Ax added. Both of those cars definitely had the "gears biting" feel due to the design, pretty rough especially when cold. Even after changing the oil and the shifter in the Tremec. My 2019 DHG Mustang GT has a very distant, soft feel to the shifts. I could use one finger to shift, actually. I have the alloy rear shifter bracket shown in the pictures, to install and the stiffer transmission bushing as well. One question I have is, how does your car shift at high RPMs?
That is where it really matters. The 2019 does exhibit some unpredictable binding and lock out once and awhile. That has kept it from being driven hard. My wife has encountered the high RPM lockout as well. Its not a racer, as built. I might try some high RPM shifts after the new parts go in.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My MT82 is buttery smooth compared to my TR6060 in my GT500. I have the stock shifter in it and no modifications to it at all. I beat on it hard A LOT. I am 53 years old and have been driving manuals since 1986 and that TR6060 in the GT500 was stout, but the 1-2 shift was terrible. I started with a Barton shifter and got a blowfish brace, 1 piece DSS driveshaft, ended up with an MGW shifter, and I still missed more 1-2 shifts in that car every two months than the sum total of every car and truck I have ever owned. Coming from that transmission to the 18+ MT82, I had heard the horror stories, but owning the car for 20+ months I have been pleasantly surprised how GOOD that transmission has been. I know I am in the minority on this one, but it has been my experience. Others vary.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
rule of thumb, if you suspect something is wonky don't go trying to solve it yourself while under warranty.

OP
OP
VanFiveO

VanFiveO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1
rule of thumb, if you suspect something is wonky don't go trying to solve it yourself while under warranty.
Noted for the next time around haha
Sponsored