Nice experience with tool warranty replacement

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Lots of tools have been made in Taiwan for a while now and imo they've gotten pretty decent
Oh don't get me wrong, I've got plenty in my own tool box. Craftsman was marketed as an American company with an American made tool. And that's gone. That's the part that's disappointing.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Since our lugs torque to 150 ft lbs I was worried about trying to get them off on the side of the road with the lug wrench included with the spare tire.
This Monday I had this unfortunate issue....
RAM truck but studs are 14x1.5 like in a Mustang with 134 lb/ft. I had a toolbox with stubby Milwaukee M12 impact which made removing it and installing a spare a breeze - helpful if you're on a shoulder of I-75 with semis blasting past you at 70 mph (air was escaping so fast I couldn't limp it to a nearest exit).
That studdy fits basically anywhere and has enough torque to be taking off 150 ft-lb nuts all day. Also don't have to deal with loosening while on the ground and all of that - jack up, remove, reinstall and you're good to go.

PXL_20231030_122938271.jpg

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
RAM truck but studs are 14x1.5 like in a Mustang with 134 lb/ft. I had a toolbox with stubby Milwaukee M12 impact which made removing it and installing a spare a breeze - helpful if you're on a shoulder of I-75 with semis blasting past you at 70 mph (air was escaping so fast I couldn't limp it to a nearest exit).
That studdy fits basically anywhere and has enough torque to be taking off 150 ft-lb nuts all day. Also don't have to deal with loosening while on the ground and all of that - jack up, remove, reinstall and you're good to go.

Battery impacts are amazing tools for sure. Not real practical to have as an all the time trunk tool in the Mustang though. If I went to a track I'd definitely have at least one along.
Here's another tip for the Mustang (and probably a lot of other cars). The scissor jack is the same size as the lug nuts. Use that impact to jack the car. If you're on a flat stable surface it goes up very quickly and easily. I liked it enough to pick up a used one and keep it handy in the garage. It's easier to get out and use than my floor jack. I can literally have the car in the air and on stands quicker than I can dig out the floor jack.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I hate how if you break an older USA made tool they want to replace it with a Chinese made version. No, I paid the price I did because it said USA on the side… Anymore I always check where the craftsman tools are made before buying it, if it’s made in China I just go get that tool from harbor freight. Wish more people would do that so they would be price competitive with other foreign made tools or bring production back to the states.
I try to do the same as much as possible. All of my Craftsman stuff has the USA stamping on them. But, I most of them years ago. I can still find Craftsman sockets that are made in the US, particularly the larger sizes. My father in law is a retired heavy equipment mechanic and still has all his tools. So if I don’t have something I can borrow his. He only bought tools made in the US.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Oh don't get me wrong, I've got plenty in my own tool box. Craftsman was marketed as an American company with an American made tool. And that's gone. That's the part that's disappointing.
I’ve been lucky and have been able to find larger Craftsman socket sizes that I didn’t previously have that are still made in the US. Oddly enough some of them have been on Amazon, which is where I’d expect to find nothing but the Chinese stuff. It does take some searching but they’re still out there (dwindling I’m sure)

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Other than cars, there's nothing better in the world than, say, 1985. Quality of life has steadily declined since then.

Sears was the bomb.

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O

KZ: Please do your family and friends a huge favor. Please never change a tire on a freeway again. Get the professionals (tow truck and police) to move it to a safe location.
Ugh. I just cringe when I see or hear of guys doing that. I say that because I know of two people who were killed doing just that, changing a tire.

Be safe!
Sponsored