Nice experience with tool warranty replacement

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
I removed the rear wheels of my mustang this afternoon to prepare for installing a Steeda STH kit. I always use a 3/8 drive ratchet with a cheater pipe on the handle to loosen my lug nuts, and this time my Craftsman ratchet expolded under the pressure.

So, I called Craftsman for warranty service, they took the part number from the broken ratchet and found that it had been discontinued. I asked for a 120-tooth replacement and they only had 1/4 or 1/2 drive in the 120 tooth version, so I accepted the 76-tooth replacement. I have no idea how many teeth were in my failed ratchet but the more teeth, the less you have to move the handle in cramped situations. To my surprise, the agent then asked me which 120-tooth one I preferred, 1/4 or 1/2 inch drive? They're sending me one of those too --and they don't even need a picture of the one that failed!

What a nice surprise - that's how a company keeps customers, for sure!

:)
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
You can call them? Could you post a number please?

When Craftsman was in Sears they were always very good about tool exchange. They've even exchanged several obviously abused screwdrivers for me without a qualm. Although, at some point they started wanting to just give you a rebuild kit for ratchets. They would usually relent if you were persistent. I haven't tried them in Lowes, Ace or any of the others yet.
Back in the day Craftsman was about the only tool with a lifetime warranty for the DIY guy. Now it seems like anybody that sells tools has a warranty. My current favorites run too GearWrench and Icon though I've yet to have to try to warrant either brand.

OP
OP
CrazyHippie

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid

When Craftsman was in Sears they were always very good about tool exchange. They've even exchanged several obviously abused screwdrivers for me without a qualm. Although, at some point they started wanting to just give you a rebuild kit for ratchets. They would usually relent if you were persistent. I haven't tried them in Lowes, Ace or any of the others yet.
Back in the day Craftsman was about the only tool with a lifetime warranty for the DIY guy. Now it seems like anybody that sells tools has a warranty. My current favorites run too GearWrench and Icon though I've yet to have to try to warrant either brand.
Sure, here's a link and the number is 888-331-4569.
https://www.craftsman.com/pages/warranty

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That's great but....wtf are you doing bud? A 3/8 ratchet with a cheater pipe? Just get a 1/2 24 inch breaker bar. They're not particularly expensive and actually fit for the purpose of removing a 150ft/lb nut.

Or you can keep breaking ratchets, at least the warranty is good šŸ˜Š

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
3/8 ratchet for lug nuts ? Bizarre idea.

Beside - unless you have tons of time, just use an impact to remove (I also use it to put them on, not time to deal with some wrenches).

Sponsored

OP
OP
CrazyHippie

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
That's great but....wtf are you doing bud? A 3/8 ratchet with a cheater pipe? Just get a 1/2 24 inch breaker bar. They're not particularly expensive and actually fit for the purpose of removing a 150ft/lb nut.

I know, I know. Old habit, I guess. Still using the same copper pipe that I've had in the toolbox for 45 years. The breaker bar sounds like a good idea for Christmas!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Yep! Iā€™ve had my Craftsman breaker bar for quite a few years now, I love it

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

95% of my hand tools are Craftsman. I just picked up a set of GearWrench ratcheting wrenches, heard good things about them so want to give them a shot.

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
3/8 ratchet for lug nuts ? Bizarre idea.

Beside - unless you have tons of time, just use an impact to remove (I also use it to put them on, not time to deal with some wrenches).
Electric cordless impact is such a game changer for diy

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Since our lugs torque to 150 ft lbs I was worried about trying to get them off on the side of the road with the lug wrench included with the spare tire. So I measured the inside of the spare and found an 18" breaker bar would fit inside with a little extra space. Being old and lazy, I found the breaker handle fit perfectly inside of a 3/4" or 1" - I forget which - iron pipe. So I now have both with a deep well socket wrapped in an old towel tucked tightly under spare.
At home I use a 1/2" impact and a 1/2", 250 ft lbs torque wrench.
This is the breaker bar I used.
Screenshot_20231031_212257_Samsung Internet.jpg

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
They probably sent you two because they are made in China with slave labor. It's much cheaper for them that way than one rachet made in America.

Shameful they offshored production to third world countries to save a buck.
Lots of tools have been made in Taiwan for a while now and imo they've gotten pretty decent

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
I guess they didnā€™t ask you what you were doing when it failed, and if they did Iā€™m surprised they would warranty that lol.

Austin1992

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I hate how if you break an older USA made tool they want to replace it with a Chinese made version. No, I paid the price I did because it said USA on the sideā€¦ Anymore I always check where the craftsman tools are made before buying it, if itā€™s made in China I just go get that tool from harbor freight. Wish more people would do that so they would be price competitive with other foreign made tools or bring production back to the states.
Sponsored