Sponsored

NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I got to drive a 2017 Super Duty for roughly 2,500 miles this past week that was loaned to my company by Ford Trucks for a roadshow experience we were doing.

The truck had Carplay + Android Auto. Let me tell you ... it was such an incredible experience seeing what looks and feels exactly like my current Mustang Sync 3 instantly upgrading via a simple USB cord into Carplay. The owner of my company is a huge Android user and he was also very VERY impressed by Android Auto.

I personally think Carplay is a lot more elegant and gives a better experience, but that is neither here nor there. The important thing is that the technology exists, I have used it, and it gives me hope that we will see a software update soon.

PUk76xw.jpg
Sponsored

paulrkiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT premium
I installed a Pioneer AVH-4100 NEX headunit in my 07 Dodge Ram 1500 which has Apple CarPlay, I've seen Carplay in friends vehicles but using it personally I love it.

I explicitly told my salesman and the manager at the dealership I purchased my 2016 GT from that I was only going to purchase the 16 model if it was going to have the option to upgrade Sync 3 to use Apple CarPlay, like many above I was told it wouldn't be a problem and should be by the end of summer. I think we all know that has changed. I purchased my 2016 GT about a week before the 2017's hit dealerships, got a great deal but will still be upset if we don't get the option to upgrade.

Time will tell :cheers:

Last edited:

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Same story here. I could have waited a couple weeks and got a '17, but decided to go ahead with the'16 since Sync 3 2.0 was just around the corner.

I installed a Pioneer AVH-4100 NEX headunit in my 07 Dodge Ram 1500 which has Apple CarPlay, I've seen Carplay in friends vehicles but using it personally I love it.

I explicitly told my salesman and the manager at the dealership I purchased my 2016 GT from that I was only going to purchase the 16 model if it was going to have the option to upgrade Sync 3 to use Apple CarPlay, like many above I was told it wouldn't be a problem and should be by the end of summer. I think we all know that has changed. I purchased my 2016 GT about a week before the 2016's hit dealerships, got a great deal but will still be upset if we don't get the option to upgrade.

Time will tell :cheers:

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
At this point it really seems like they are holding off pushing the update just to try to get people to trade in their 16s for 17s. They obviously have everything working in the 17s, so a simple software update and new cable/connector for CarPlay should be simple.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP

Sponsored

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
If you traded a 16 for a 17 for stereo software update you would be a total idiot! I'm sorry. But I do want the update released already!:cheers:
I agree man. As much as I want this update, there is no way I would trade to get it. I was just saying it seems like that is what Ford is thinking.

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
I agree man. As much as I want this update, there is no way I would trade to get it. I was just saying it seems like that is what Ford is thinking.
I didn't mean to make it sound like I was targeting your comment, it was just the thought of someone actually doing it. :doh:

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I didn't mean to make it sound like I was targeting your comment, it was just the thought of someone actually doing it. :doh:
My bad. I guess it lost in translation :cheers:

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I was able to get Android Auto working today on my 17. Voice search works pretty well and Maps seems to work well. Waze will be coming to Android Auto soon and that is the app I really want.

I'm not an not an Apple fan but I have to agree with [MENTION=23672]whalesalad[/MENTION] the user experience is better with CarPlay than Android Auto. At least for now :cheers:

Sponsored

aerodyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP 6MT Magnetic / Redline
I doubt they have any ulterior motive. It's just not a priority for them - after all, they've already sold you a car and got your money. I'm sure it will be released eventually.

I know there have been some parts availability issues with Carplay stuff - Porsche has a bunch of cars being held at the US port waiting on the installation of some kind of component needed for Carplay.

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
anyone using fordpass?
EaseofOwnershipAuthHomepgDesk.jpg

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I doubt they have any ulterior motive. It's just not a priority for them - after all, they've already sold you a car and got your money. I'm sure it will be released eventually.

I know there have been some parts availability issues with Carplay stuff - Porsche has a bunch of cars being held at the US port waiting on the installation of some kind of component needed for Carplay.
It's convenient that things like this don't make it onto a customer satisfaction survey anywhere...:frusty:

I went for SYNC3 and no navigation because of the promise of carplay this summer... It's August 20th and the text at owner.flm.com has been changed to eliminate the promise of a summer delivery. At this point the only thing my '16 has that I couldn't have gotten on a discounted '15 are blinker indicators in the hood... one of which I can't even see.:rant:
Sponsored