Sponsored

New ssm from Ford ( Typewriter Noise )

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I have the same rattle, no idea what RPM though, definitely lower, could be 2k, I really don't know, it sounds normal to me, but it does sound like that in the video. Never even thought twice about it.
If it sounds like a rattling noise (like a diesel engine kind of sound) at around a constant 2K RPM, then it's the "2K rattle".
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
If it sounds like a rattling noise (like a diesel engine kind of sound) at around a constant 2K RPM, then it's the "2K rattle".
I'm tellin' you, ALL 2018/2019 MY rattle to some degree. Another perfect example of someone who would probably initially say they didn't have it when they actually just didn't realize it. If it is linked to the cylinder wall scoring then I think it's another one of those "to what degree." As I've stated numerous times, my old engine rattled all the time, new engine only rattles for the first 5 minutes of driving. Even then, old engine didn't have any signs of cylinder wall damage.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Can you link an videos of the rattle? are they posted on this forum? I haven't really heard the noise before in a video.
Here is mine.

It only sounds this bad with the engine cold and the A/C compressor on. After my oil change (low fill by Ford), I now have the rattle even with the A/C off. It still isn't as bad as with the A/C on.
BTW, I have worked with Dodge, Fiat, Ford, and GM on on a few projects. All I will say, is that I am not sure I would buy this service message (it's not even a TSB). It's too vague to be a catch all statement for every case. I think the tick, just like the rattle, probably comes in different degrees, and that more severe "ticks" are likely related to some damage.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
This sounds like there is definitely some kind of mechanical parts interaction going on (not "oil cavitation", which is never mentioned in the service bulletins) - you can actually feel the colliding parts resonating through the clutch pedal.

Reducing the friction with Ceratec (also what Ford's XL-17 additive did) caused the friction to decrease enough to reduce and/or cushion the colliding parts. Still think it's excessive rod side clearance or crankshaft end play.
Check out this thread.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/i-think-the-bbq-tick-is-normal-w-video-ford-gm-tsbs.114556/

These diesels have the EXACT same noise. The Ford and GM service bulletins don't say "oil cavitation" verbatim, but mentions the relationship between the oil film, block and other components. This also explains why most owners' tick comes and goes (as mine did). Also it could explain why I haven't heard any tick from my car since my first oil change with full synthetic back in November. If it was excessive rod side clearance or crankshaft play, the noise would always be present and certainly not go with just a full synthetic oil change.

BHRS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Anniversary #1326 - 2016 Z51 Stingray - 1972 C10 Cheyenne
Check out this thread.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/i-think-the-bbq-tick-is-normal-w-video-ford-gm-tsbs.114556/

These diesels have the EXACT same noise. The Ford and GM service bulletins don't say "oil cavitation" verbatim, but mentions the relationship between the oil film, block and other components. This also explains why most owners' tick comes and goes (as mine did). Also it could explain why I haven't heard any tick from my car since my first oil change with full synthetic back in November. If it was excessive rod side clearance or crankshaft play, the noise would always be present and certainly not go with just a full synthetic oil change.
What brand and weight synthetic oil are you running?

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I am about to loose my mind and common sense.
The car has been at the dealer the last week some 300 miles away where I originally purchased the car.

I have provided videos and in written text explained the different sounds.

1: 2k slap
2: type writer tick

Now this freaking ssm comes out and now they are referring to this stating that there is nothing they can do. I am like wtf it is two unrelated issues, they are saying no it is not.

Also they sent me this video during week asking me if it was this noise I referred to

What the hell is this noise lol. It is during idle/car is in neutral and when they lift off there is some other weird noise. Now they are saying the the noise during lift of on idle is the same as constant 2k rpm slap. I was more or less saying are you fu... kidding me, one sound is coming during let off att a random rpm when lifting off and the other sound is coming during constant acceleration how are they related....

So now I am stuck and don't know what to do do. This is my second motor on which they have at different occasions swapped the injectors and manifold on as well.....

kidamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 10 sp auto
The guy did put a supercharger on it, so hard to say if the added boost broke a ring and/or ring land and that's what caused the cylinder damage. The engine will have to be torn down to investigate further.
The owner of this car just told me they there is a 40% failure rate on the gen3 and that there will be an announcement soon, where or from whom he got this made up number who knows, but this is how this internet armageddon starts

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
That motor doesn't sound healthy at all and that noise isn't a tick.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That motor doesn't sound healthy at all and that noise isn't a tick.
Mine does it too. I can't help but think it's something in the runner control rattling for some reason. My other thought, is maybe the phasers aren't compensating fast enough upon decel when you take your foot off the gas. Heck, I dunno. Like I said, I'm really clueless on this one.

Sponsored

KingBowser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1

It’s probably been covered before but just wanted to add for some that may be worried about their rattle. Like the tick there’s a few rattles and some people like myself thought I had the 2k rattle but this is actually what I have, I don’t know anyone who got it fixed on their f150 personally, but when this tab does come out for the mustang and if it works I feel that a lot of ours will hopefully go away.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Horrible timing for you man. You almost had them. You might have to just bite the bullet.
HAHA indeed brother, this SSM will be bad business for folks. Dealers will start referring to this left and right...

I put up a video about it

Last edited:

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
HAHA indeed brother, this SSM will be bad business for folks. Dealers will start referring to this left and right...
Maz, the "2k rattle" and the decel "lift off" rattle are the same. I'm almost completely certain of it. I've toyed with my car for weeks listening and experimenting while driving, and I'm pretty darn certain that sound is from the same source. So, yes, the tech is right about that part. I think when it occurs around 2k is when the accelerator is at a very specifric position, and the VCT sends oil to the phasers, and that one point somehow causes a slight chatter. This is why they tried to fix it with the programming fix for the VCT solenoid for the F-150's, but doesn't seem to fix all of them either.
I have no idea exactly what the sound is, but I think it's the cam phasers trying to adjust and tend to chatter a bit. The other theory I have is some chatter from the IMRC, but I would venture to guess it's the phasers based on Fords TSB. I honestly don't know for certain though. I have talked about this with my tech, and he said they all know about it, but there is no "fix", because they believe it is inherent in the engine design this year (2018-19) specifically, and has to do with the tuning because of using the new DI system. That whole new DI system has all kinds of weird noises associated to it.

However, that 2k rattle IS NOT the "typewriter tick". The typewriter tick is something completely different that is internal to the bottom end of the engine. The cause of which no one knows for certain, and Ford does not specify in the SSM message. They may know exactly what it is, but they aren't telling us, for whatever reason.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Maz, the "2k rattle" and the decel "lift off" rattle are the same. I'm almost completely certain of it. I've toyed with my car for weeks listening and experimenting while driving, and I'm pretty darn certain that sound is from the same source. So, yes, the tech is right about that part. I think when it occurs around 2k is when the accelerator is at a very specifric position, and the VCT sends oil to the phasers, and that one point somehow causes a slight chatter. This is why they tried to fix it with the programming fix for the VCT solenoid for the F-150's, but doesn't seem to fix all of them either.
The sound in the video in Post #88 sounds different than the 2K rattle IMO.

Why don't the 2015-2017 Coyotes have the 2K rattle if it's cam phasor related? And if it's cam phasor related, why hasn't Ford put out a similar TSB for the 2018+ Mustangs?

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Here's one of my observations but maybe those who have MT can confirm it is common or not.

When use clutch to get car going from standstill I can feel some sort of interference going in the engine. I feel it through my left foot. It is not very strong feeling, but if I pay attention, - it is clearly there.

When I stay in neutral, rev the engine to 17xx rpms with clutch to the floor, I also feel this interference just around this rpm. If I go up or down on rpms it goes away, I do not feel it. When my engine ticks - the tick is sporadically happening while I feel this interference through the clutch.

Once I added ceratec, the interference feel is gone.

It is subjective, but this "interference" percepted like crankshaft is getting in contact with something. I could feel this thing on the original engine and on the new short block.

I have this same scenario. I have the random ticking tapping at 1500-1900 to me whether I am in neutral or on a city street neighborhood cruising at that rpm next to a wall or high curb. The hotter the engine,the worse the ticking. My car actually shakes if I'm neutral at 1700 rpms. If I push the clutch in at that time there is a very noticeable high freq vibe. Tranny tech said it's the cams causing it....lol " To get the power you guys want". I laughed and said document it please.
Sponsored