Sponsored

New ssm from Ford ( Typewriter Noise )

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Your post makes absolutely 0 sense. Who in their right mind wants their car to be wrong? What people want is not a cookie cutter response just like Ford put out. I guess you are not one of those who have experienced the annoying tick. First of all what causes the tick? My '11 developed the tick around the 9k miles, not after the first oil change. No oil change should cause a tick. There's no explanation whatsoever. Second, I have a feeling this will be overarching and end up placing the rattle in it as well. Ford from this point on will do whatever in their power to avoid fixing any engines. Dealers may want to help or proceed with repairs because it's also convenient to them, but Ford will squash that.

Just to be clear, I want these cars to be right because as a mustang lover, I want Ford to explain to the owners what causes the tick.
It makes alot of sense, ford just stated it causes no short or long term problems and guys are still arguing otherwise.

Plenty of evidence online showing these cars over 100k with a tick, plenty of good oil analysis. Engines are not blowing up left and right, the sky is not falling and the world is not coming to an end.

Drive your car, dont act like a herd of cattle, when a legit issue crops up in your car, take it in.

Sure there are legit issues with engines having damage, but why or how someone thinks it's because of the tick is beyond me. Piston slap/knock does not sound like a tick lol..
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'll take a stab at this and say it's possible it doesn't happen from day 1 due to the belt not stretching or being over stretched.

The TSB from years back adds a tensioner. It's the same tick and one condor fixed with the tensioner.

The ac tensioner that fixes the tick keeps tension on the belt at all times, without it, belt tension can change.

That is my thought on it.
He didn't fix the bbq tick with the tensioner, that was done with ceratec. The tensioner fixed a thudding like tick at idle that many of us also have, and what the original TSB targeted as well.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
It makes alot of sense, ford just stated it causes no short or long term problems and guys are still arguing otherwise.

Plenty of evidence online showing these cars over 100k with a tick, plenty of good oil analysis. Engines are not blowing up left and right, the sky is not falling and the world is not coming to an end.

Drive your car, dont act like a herd of cattle, when a legit issue crops up in your car, take it in.

Sure there are legit issues with engines having damage, but why or how someone thinks it's because of the tick is beyond me. Piston slap/knock does not sound like a tick lol..
I have no tick, thus no skin in this game. However, I do have the rattle, which isn't something I have experienced in any of my development projects over the last 14 years. I just have to ask a question.
Do you think Ford (or GM or Dodge) would admit it if there was a link between a tick and internal damage, if this admission meant greatly increasing the number of warranty claims?

Again, I am not making any claims as to the truthfulness of their response, just trying to gauge where people stand with opinions of OEMs as a whole.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I have no tick, thus no skin in this game. However, I do have the rattle, which isn't something I have experienced in any of my development projects over the last 14 years. I just have to ask a question.
Do you think Ford (or GM or Dodge) would admit it if there was a link between a tick and internal damage, if this admission meant greatly increasing the number of warranty claims?

Again, I am not making any claims as to the truthfulness of their response, just trying to gauge where people stand with opinions of OEMs as a whole.
I think Ford put enough analysis into it .. 8 years worth before making a statement. If the tick is causing damage where is all the blown up 2011-17's? How do they go 100k+ miles.

I understand your point and yes they have more to gain from it, but given the data we can all find online from older models with the tick, I dont think Ford is trying to pull a fast one.

VelR5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 5.0, 2022 Mustang GT

I did not say the tick is causing engine failures, but what causes it is the question. Just because it's "normal" according to Ford, it doesn't mean that an answer isn't warranted as to what causes it. GM did the same thing with the LS7 and the valve guide wear. No need to reply or answer what's happening and it'll eventually go away.

I agree that piston slap or rattle doesn't sound anything like the tick, however, my statement is that Ford is going to sweep the slap and rattle under the "normal" engine sounds to prevent any further repairs.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
GM did the same thing with the LS7 and the valve guide wear.
And if I recall correctly, as time went on people discovered it was a design or manufacturing problem with the heads that was the root cause.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's one of my observations but maybe those who have MT can confirm it is common or not.

When use clutch to get car going from standstill I can feel some sort of interference going in the engine. I feel it through my left foot. It is not very strong feeling, but if I pay attention, - it is clearly there.

When I stay in neutral, rev the engine to 17xx rpms with clutch to the floor, I also feel this interference just around this rpm. If I go up or down on rpms it goes away, I do not feel it. When my engine ticks - the tick is sporadically happening while I feel this interference through the clutch.

Once I added ceratec, the interference feel is gone.

It is subjective, but this "interference" percepted like crankshaft is getting in contact with something. I could feel this thing on the original engine and on the new short block.
This sounds like there is definitely some kind of mechanical parts interaction going on (not "oil cavitation", which is never mentioned in the service bulletins) - you can actually feel the colliding parts resonating through the clutch pedal.

Reducing the friction with Ceratec (also what Ford's XL-17 additive did) caused the friction to decrease enough to reduce and/or cushion the colliding parts. Still think it's excessive rod side clearance or crankshaft end play.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Further proof (for me at least) that the tick and cylinder damage are not related.

This guy didn't have the tick... now has blown engine, major cylinder wall scoring.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Further proof (for me at least) that the tick and cylinder damage are not related.
It's been pretty much everyone's consensuses that the BBQ tick and the 2K rattle are two separate issues/noises. The 2K rattle and cylinder damage probably are related however.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
It's been pretty much everyone's consensuses that the BBQ tick and the 2K rattle are two separate issues/noises. The 2K rattle and cylinder damage probably are related however.
Can you link an videos of the rattle? are they posted on this forum? I haven't really heard the noise before in a video.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

This guy didn't have the tick... now has blown engine, major cylinder wall scoring.

The guy did put a supercharger on it, so hard to say if the added boost broke a ring and/or ring land and that's what caused the cylinder damage. The engine will have to be torn down to investigate further.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Mine has a slight rattle at times when cold, as revs increase right before it shifts, not very bad though. Sounded pretty normal to me though to be honest.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine has a slight rattle at times when cold, as revs increase right before it shifts, not very bad though. Sounded pretty normal to me though to be honest.
If you don't have the rattle at around 2K RPM while driving around like in the videos I linked above then you don't have the rattle.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
If you don't have the rattle at around 2K RPM while driving around like in the videos I linked above then you don't have the rattle.
I have the same rattle, no idea what RPM though, definitely lower, could be 2k, I really don't know, it sounds normal to me, but it does sound like that in the video. Never even thought twice about it.
Sponsored