Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I seem to recall OEMRadio determined—perhaps roughly—the DSP settings in the ACM and OEM amp for the 9 and 12-speaker Shaker systems. He's also understandably not sharing this info because he had to do the leg work and, well, this is his livelihood.

I presume the data includes EQ and high-pass frequency settings. I don't know about crossover settings. Speaker designers usually have a much better grasp on that sort of thing for various reasons that are well beyond the typical consumer's understanding.

I don't mind sharing some info.. I just am not sharing the settings for the things I adjust.. Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I am hoping soon.. I am obviously not a huge priority in terms of quantity.. the world does not turn for small business guys.. I am trying to get them as fast as possible..

I am also not as responsive as I was.. I have been extremely busy.. and thats good.. no complaints.. but I seem to have reached the point that I didn't want to where I cant get to people and answer them as quickly as I want to.. I apologize if I have left you waiting .. I am trying.. It is really best to Email me.. it take too much time to go trough PMs.

billross77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
No need to apologize. Life doesn't wait for everyone on this board. We all hope to have your harness and programing soon, but nobody expects you to stop living life to take care of us.

OP
OP

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I appreciate that very much.. but this forum I value very much.. I have done A LOT of business with the members here and I don't participate on other forums like I do here.. many come to this forum to contact me..

I don't want people to get the impression I don't value anyone.. I know that when things were first starting there were several that gave me an opportunity that others wouldn't.. and trusted me with large sums of money.. and were patient as I put the kits together..

So thanks to all that have supported me.. and I appreciate the understanding.. I do try as best I can to get to every email and PM.. but I do get overwhelmed..

Thanks and hope to have this and other products ready soon.. the programmer is almost ready.. I have been working on the coding with the engineers and should be good to go once the harness is ready..

Thanks everyone.. !

billross77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I am attempting my own harnesses this weekend. If it works, Ill be hitting you up for some programming. Luckily Im in DFW, so its pretty easy.

Sponsored

2016Gruv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Planning ahead for when this cable comes out, I have a couple of questions about the crossover frequencies in the Shaker/no sub version.
1) What are they? I'm not sure of the exact frequencies.. they vary as volume increases and decreases.
Whatever the crossover frequency, it is fixed for a given set of speakers and does not intentionally vary with volume levels.

Getting the info off the cap(s) (and inductors, if used) will allow you to figure out the targeted electronic Xover freq.

OP
OP

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Whatever the crossover frequency, it is fixed for a given set of speakers and does not intentionally vary with volume levels.

Getting the info off the cap(s) (and inductors, if used) will allow you to figure out the targeted electronic Xover freq.
It is not fixed.. everything varies with the volume..

2016Gruv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
It is not fixed.. everything varies with the volume..
Crossovers, whether passive or active, are not designed to vary with volume. They are fixed based on the drivers in use, frequency response and impedance. You already verified that the tweeters use capacitors. Tell me how they are programmable. And what you perceive as a change in crossover frequency is likely the acoustical xover. The electrical xover frequency remains the same. There is absolutely no logical reason to change the xover frequency.

I can conceive the possibility of a programmed changed in the high-pass filtering (not a crossover) based on volume, but it's not likely. Again, there's just no need. If there's a measureable acoustical change due to volume increases, it's likely because the system is running out of gas, not because the HPF frequency changes.

Mid_life_crisis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost premium
Crossovers, whether passive or active, are not designed to vary with volume. They are fixed based on the drivers in use, frequency response and impedance. You already verified that the tweeters use capacitors. Tell me how they are programmable. And what you perceive as a change in crossover frequency is likely the acoustical xover. The electrical xover frequency remains the same. There is absolutely no logical reason to change the xover frequency.

I can conceive the possibility of a programmed changed in the high-pass filtering (not a crossover) based on volume, but it's not likely. Again, there's just no need. If there's a measureable acoustical change due to volume increases, it's likely because the system is running out of gas, not because the HPF frequency changes.
I could see them shifting the active crossover frequency between the mid and bass drivers up as the volume increases. Sacrificing a little detail for volume and durability by shifting the low frequencies of the mid onto the woofer as the system is asked to get louder. It's advanced thinking, so it isn't likely, but it could happen.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I could see them shifting the active crossover frequency between the mid and bass drivers up as the volume increases. Sacrificing a little detail for volume and durability by shifting the low frequencies of the mid onto the woofer as the system is asked to get louder. It's advanced thinking, so it isn't likely, but it could happen.
No one designs this way. It is not even a formal design approach.

OTOH, many small/mid size ubwoofers have subsonic (fixed) high-pass filters to control woofer excursion below port tune frequency, and electronic limiters to limit low-bass woofer excursion while allowing mid- and high-bass loudness.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Numerous car companies, especially cars equipped with Bose systems, reduce bass output at higher volumes, but not the crossover point. Variable crossover points aren't necessary.

2016Gruv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Numerous car companies, especially cars equipped with Bose systems, reduce bass output at higher volumes, but not the crossover point. Variable crossover points aren't necessary.
I wonder if it's a matter of the systems running out of gas rather than an intended design. I'm sure it is with some of them. ;)

Speaking of Bose, I have much to criticize about their products (especially their "pro" stuff), but must admit the system in my Nissan really sounds great. I wish the 9-speaker Shaker in my '16 Mustang sounded half as good.

crashdb

Euro-reject
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I wonder if it's a matter of the systems running out of gas rather than an intended design. I'm sure it is with some of them. ;)

Speaking of Bose, I have much to criticize about their products (especially their "pro" stuff), but must admit the system in my Nissan really sounds great. I wish the 9-speaker Shaker in my '16 Mustang sounded half as good.
This is the second vehicle I've owned that does this with the OEM sound system. Fortunately, the previous car was easy to disable this "feature."

Mid_life_crisis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost premium
This is true of passive crossovers (caps and coils), but the only speakers in the car that appear to use them (a single cap) are the tweeters. Any subsonic filtering on the bass drivers as well as the crossover point between bass and mid are active, or electronic, set in either the H/U or the amplifier. If an engineer can make a loudness contour change with volume, there is no reason active subsonic filter frequency can't rise as the volume increases, protecting the woofer. I admit that, on the surface, there doesn't seem to be a lot to gain from it, but there's no reason the crossover between bass and mid couldn't change with the frequency, as it is also active in this car (although it probably is passive in the bass model and therefor fixed).

No it won't. Caps and coils are passive crossovers while electronic crossover devices are considered to be active. If set through programming, the experimental method is the only way to tell.

2016Gruv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
This is true of passive crossovers (caps and coils), but the only speakers in the car that appear to use them (a single cap) are the tweeters. Any subsonic filtering on the bass drivers as well as the crossover point between bass and mid are active, or electronic, set in either the H/U or the amplifier. If an engineer can make a loudness contour change with volume, there is no reason active subsonic filter frequency can't rise as the volume increases, protecting the woofer. I admit that, on the surface, there doesn't seem to be a lot to gain from it, but there's no reason the crossover between bass and mid couldn't change with the frequency, as it is also active in this car (although it probably is passive in the bass model and therefor fixed).
A fixed xover frequency is true of any crossover, whether passive or active. And both types are electronic. Active xovers are powered, connected pre-amplification, and usually have some form of manual adjustability. To suggest passive xovers are not electronic is silly. They're certainly not mechanical. ;)

Subsonic filtering is a high-pass filter, not a crossover, though the frequency at which the filtering occurs is also fixed. Contour deals specifically with EQ. Yes, increasing the volume level affects contour (by design); however, it is not so with crossovers or high-pass filters, both of which are NOT designed to vary due to changes in gain. It would create all sorts of problems. Contour is an interesting point, though. I suspect what OEMRadio perceives as a change in xover is really a change in the acoustical crossover (not to be confused with the electrical crossover, whether passive or active).

No it won't. Caps and coils are passive crossovers while electronic crossover devices are considered to be active. If set through programming, the experimental method is the only way to tell.
LOL. It's not difficult to obtain that info based on the values of the components. What do you mean by experimental method?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.