Need help diagnosing high pitched mechanical noise from engine

aarongold2004

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Hey everyone. I have a 2017 GT Premium with the Performance Pack. I got the car this past summer, and I’ve noticed (especially more so recently) that it makes this high pitched sort of mechanical ringing noise. It’s hard to hear in the video, so you’ll want to use headphones at a higher volume. It’s noticeable for a split second every time I blip the throttle. In reality, that sound is continuous as long as I’m on throttle, though it quiets down a little past the initial spike. It’s almost like if you were to play a constant very high frequency tone (probably in the neighborhood of 6500hz) though it does fluctuate slightly like a ringing. That’s my best description of it. I checked the pulleys, and I didn’t notice any kind of movement. The car also has the Power Pack 2 on it, as well as an aftermarket aluminum driveshaft and stage 2 clutch, but the sound has been there since before the driveshaft and clutch. Do you guys have any ideas? Thanks!

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP
aarongold2004

aarongold2004

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Without being near the car, it’s possible the issue is the VCT solenoids, very common for them to start chirping/squealing:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2015-2021-s550-5-0’s-ssm-50067-vct’s-again-various-dtc-codes.169419/

I would also check the A/C compressor, as the front nose clutch assembly is known to be a failure point. See this thread for the failure and DIY repair:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tch-and-coil-replacement.141934/#post-2908198
Seems like maybe I’d be better off waiting to see if anything gets worse to get a better idea of what it may be?
Sponsored