Sponsored

My thoughts on the 2018 after seeing it in person

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
lol I want is the damn gauges everything else they can keep me ordering a 17 looks better and better by the day lol
Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
The 18 redesign makes it look more sophisticated, streamlined, and high tech. Not necessarily a bad redesign but it robbed the Mustang of it's heritage a bit. From the front and without a pony badge it would be difficult to identify it as a Mustang. I personally prefer the Muscle car attitude of the 15-17 for now.
You could say the same about the current. Take off the Mustang badge & you'd have a Fusion front grill/fogs/etc. There's a reason they did the front changes and like the one article said it was to get ride of the Fusion comparisons.

And the '18 still looks like a Mustang just like the '15 did and all those that had S197 said it didn't look like a Mustang or lost it soul, muscle car, etc.

RE: Vents they should do a better job of integrating them into the hood itself. Something like this. I do think that if someone takes the current hood and does more of the '15-'17 vents they might sell some hoods.

Last edited:

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
For those that can't make up their mind whether they prefer the '15-'17 or the '18+ Ford are going to build this :p
:thumbsup:

Just funny when you look at that pic and just glance, they look almost the same. I mean I get the S197 to S550 which went from Pony/Muscle to Modern styling but the gripes over this one are kinda overboard considering they barely deviated from the '17 look. No average consumer would even notice it other then maybe no fogs in the one.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'd have to agree, the changes are not exactly night and day. Both look fantastic to me, but the '18 gets the nod from me :)

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
You could say the same about the current. Take off the Mustang badge & you'd have a Fusion front grill/fogs/etc. There's a reason they did the front changes and like the one article said it was to get ride of the Fusion comparisons.

And the '18 still looks like a Mustang just like the '15 did and all those that had S197 said it didn't look like a Mustang or lost it soul, muscle car, etc.

RE: Vents they should do a better job of integrating them into the hood itself. Something like this. I do think that if someone takes the current hood and does more of the '15-'17 vents they might sell some hoods.

Yes, holy shit, there you go :headbang:

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I don't think it's the overall look as much as it is the "wtf?" design choices in the details themselves.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I don't think it's the overall look as much as it is the "wtf?" design choices in the details themselves.
I agree on the vents, but the hood is better lower (its GT350 level), the lights are more aggressive, you don't have 3 levels of lights now (main, turns, fogs) now it's main/turns, the overall look is sleeker.

Besides this forum, the major car sites/mags all say the look is improved and fits the car better and is more sleeker, aggressive, etc.

It'a all opinion though.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
To me, the original S550 hood was just too high, and from the side, frequently looked like the car was tail-heavy. I think the GT350 is the best looking S550 out there, and while I am not wild about the triangular vents, I think overall I find the '18 revisions to be an improvement on the GT/Ecoboost.

That might change when I see it in person, but I doubt it.

BTW, I have a '14 GT now:
http://www.techflyer.net/images/cars/Mustang02web.jpg

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro

It is all a matter of taste and opinion. When looking at it from the front there is really no character.
2018-Ford-Mustang-GT-front-end-02.jpg

Sponsored

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Thank you for this post. The taillights don't look as bad as I thought they would but the headlights look even worse than they do in the official release pics (although I do like the new design of the LED running lights).

The new hood is a much cleaner design, but I prefer the angular design of ours a lot more.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
The glossy grill and black Pony really does it no favours.

The grill needs to be matt black like lower grill and the Pony should be chrome or gloss black to stand out better.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
It is all a matter of taste and opinion. When looking at it from the front there is really no character.
To me, now it has character because it's aggressive. Before it looked like sedan (Fusion). Like you said though, it's all opinion, I sorta just go by car sites (since they review every car so their opinions to me seem less affected by personal taste) more then the forums because we all have a biased opinion here, especially current owners.

To me, the original S550 hood was just too high, and from the side, frequently looked like the car was tail-heavy. I think the GT350 is the best looking S550 out there, and while I am not wild about the triangular vents, I think overall I find the '18 revisions to be an improvement on the GT/Ecoboost.

That might change when I see it in person, but I doubt it.

BTW, I have a '14 GT now:
http://www.techflyer.net/images/cars/Mustang02web.jpg
Agree. The S550 hood was too long/high and made you feel like you were looking up hill especially during acceleration (surprised it made it out like that). And agree from the side the car looked tail heavy with the way it sat.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Best article I've read yet

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/why-are-people-losing-their-marbles-over-the-2018-mustang/

I’m really surprised at the amount of people railing against the styling updates. Had photos of this car been released without any mention of it being a revised model, most people wouldn’t have even noticed without a close look, or assumed it was wearing some aftermarket front clip. Styling is subjective, so everyone is welcome to an opinion. But I call shenanigans on those who liked the previous car but think Ford ruined this new one, because they look virtually the same despite the changes. For me, there aren’t enough differences between the two styles to even have an opinion on which is better...

Let me wrap this piece up with a personal observation from a few years ago. I was at the official launch of the redesigned 2015 Mustang in Dearborn, Michigan; it was an automotive event hyped to the max and everyone had an opinion heading into it, but here’s the thing: The people at the event - from journalists to enthusiasts - had overwhelming praise for the car.
Meanwhile, the people back home looking at photos jumped onto forums and social media to express heaps of grief. They didn’t like the looks, didn’t like the options, didn’t like the independent suspension, and so forth. It was too heavy, too ugly, and without a solid axle in the back somehow it ceased to be a Mustang. That negativity faded fast once people actually saw it and drove it, and I suspect the same thing will happen here.

Unless you’re a Mustang hater, which is completely fine. Just come up with a legit reason to hate it, because honestly, it’s pretty much the same car it was a week ago.
Sponsored