BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Why not ?
Development expense. It would need to be very fast (like a performance dual clutch), and nothing else they're working on requires that, including the 10 speed. The 7 speed DCT from the Ford GT could be easily adapted to this car.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
How about optional 4.09 rear gears? :D

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Development expense. It would need to be very fast (like a performance dual clutch), and nothing else they're working on requires that, including the 10 speed. The 7 speed DCT from the Ford GT could be easily adapted to this car.
why would it need to be a DCT The XKR GT and F Type R have gotten great reviews for the transmission feel and performance with a ZF 8 speed.

regardless I'd rather see a GT500 with a good auto instead of the GT350 with an auto. .

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
why would it need to be a DCT The XKR GT and F Type R have gotten great reviews for the transmission feel and performance with a ZF 8 speed.

regardless I'd rather see a GT500 with a good auto instead of the GT350 with an auto. .
Did you read what I posted? It's not that you can't get that performance out of an auto, you can, it's that they don't have a conventional auto with that kind of performance and won't develop one bespoke for the GT350.

GRTWHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350
Ok fair point that the current car is the closest thing to reincarnating the '66 in a modern vehicle. That said, wouldn't a DCT option make it more like many race cars of today? I'm not saying I'd want one - I would get the manual, but if the 911 GT3 can go to a DCT for a variety of reasons, why couldn't the GT350 offer it as an option?
Most DCT, especially the ones in Porsche, are transaxles, or rear mounted transmission, not behind the engine. If Ford put the transaxle in the back of the GT350, it would do wonders for weight distribution and could be both a manual or semi automatic. Not sure if the PDKs in the Porsche are different, but they are rear mounted.

Sponsored

smbstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
My god, I would love to see (and hear) a DCT GT350... :drool:

I'd want it to have the emphasized *pop* between shifts like the PDK. :D

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ok fair point that the current car is the closest thing to reincarnating the '66 in a modern vehicle. That said, wouldn't a DCT option make it more like many race cars of today? I'm not saying I'd want one - I would get the manual, but if the 911 GT3 can go to a DCT for a variety of reasons, why couldn't the GT350 offer it as an option?

cost

FTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R
If any changes, it will be to the color line up and/or a cost increase across the board.

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you read what I posted? It's not that you can't get that performance out of an auto, you can, it's that they don't have a conventional auto with that kind of performance and won't develop one bespoke for the GT350.
ZF sells transmissions last I heard. Its where many auto makers get their 6,8, and 9 speed transmissions.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
ZF sells transmissions last I heard. Its where many auto makers get their 6,8, and 9 speed transmissions.
And Ford has a transmission plant for their auto transmissions and guarantees on work for them in the UAW contract. Extremely unlikely they would buy a trans given they've already spent the money on the DCT mechanical and calibration development.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Probably a different color option or two......nothing else.

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And Ford has a transmission plant for their auto transmissions and guarantees on work for them in the UAW contract. Extremely unlikely they would buy a trans given they've already spent the money on the DCT mechanical and calibration development.
Ford can and will outsource transmissions if needed. Ford GT both in the last and upcoming version will use outsourced transmissions. I don't think they will, but its most certainly an option if they wished it.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ford can and will outsource transmissions if needed. Ford GT both in the last and upcoming version will use outsourced transmissions. I don't think they will, but its most certainly an option if they wished it.
That's a manual transmission. For torque converter autos, which get built primarily in Livonia, MI, things are different. Anyway...

Adaraas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
16 Premium GT, 17 Laramie Cummins
Automatic Convertible GT350?

:lol: I snicker because so many of you just cringed!
You snicked but look what chevy did to the Z06 name.

It was always a lightweight big displacement NA car. Always fixed roof, always stick.

Now look at it. Its supercharged. Its a convertible, and the hardtop has a removable roof. AND IT COMES WITH AN AUTOMATIC.
Sponsored