Sponsored

Mustang Ecoboost Check Engine Light

Guard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
I found something interesting about misfires on Ecoboost engines...

[ame]
Sponsored

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
It's actually an event that's local. I think it also involves driving as she mentioned something about that and how I need to bring my car with ID.

But as an update, i think im around 1420 miles or so. CEL has not come back
I did the online survey but there was no mention of a 2 hour interview.

I'm on my 5th day - about 450 miles - with no cel. I spoke with the service manager at my dealership yesterday. He said he hasn't heard anything from Ford Engineering about a fix yet. Still thinks it's a software issue and expects Ford will provide a software update at some point. Again, I've had no problems driving the car. Never sensed any sort of misfire or drop in power.

dabsevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Black
What's the update for everyone's CEL?

Im going to try and not jynx myself and say that it's gone. 1500 miles now.. i think it's been gone since 500 miles or so.

15StangEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Mustang Ecoboost

Im going to try and not jynx myself and say that it's gone. 1500 miles now.. i think it's been gone since 500 miles or so.
Well i called service yesterday and they told me that there is no update yet. Mine still comes and goes and is on right now. Hope they come up with something soon.

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
Well i called service yesterday and they told me that there is no update yet. Mine still comes and goes and is on right now. Hope they come up with something soon.
Same, called and nothing.

If everyone can please CALL their dealerships and maybe offer some pressure to get this shit solved sooner than later. Please and thank you.

Sponsored

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP

11 days/900 miles with it off. Starting to hope just a bit that it took care of itself. Longest I went before this was 6 days with it off since the whole episode started. I didn't do anything that I can point to as a reason for it staying off. Talked to my dealer service guy last week and he said Ford hasn't issued a software update yet. He assumes it's still a software glitch.

I still see the tach dance a little when I start cold, and I hear a few low noted pops that one might think is a misfire, but it doesn't make the cel go on. I don't think those pops are abnormal. I can rev my engine at the same time and it revs smoothly. If it was misfiring it would rev roughly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spdracer50

spdracer50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP
Just wanted to give everyone here an update.

My CEL went away for a little bit and now it's back again, just as I expected. The start up and idle now seems to be getting rougher. I can actually hear it misfiring when I start up the car.

I contacted Nelson the service advisor at Bob Wondries Ford in Alhambra, CA to check for a status update. He informed that they still do not have fix. I just don't think it's a priority to Ford to resolve our problem. I'm not sure how long we have to wait for Ford to fix their own mistakes but, my patience is growing thin.

dabsevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Black
damn that's weird. I wonder if it was the spark plugs that fixed mine. 1560 miles and still no CEL.

15StangEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
damn that's weird. I wonder if it was the spark plugs that fixed mine. 1560 miles and still no CEL.
Well I don't think that's the case, for me at least. I changed the spark plugs on mine as well and CEL is still turning on and off.:shrug:

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Well I don't think that's the case, for me at least. I changed the spark plugs on mine as well and CEL is still turning on and off.:shrug:
What plugs and at what gap?

Sponsored

15StangEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What plugs and at what gap?
NGK LTR7IX-11 gapped to .028.

Edit: By the way all my spark plugs when pulled were gapped properly to .30 and no deviation from that. I did notice however that 2 of them did have a light grayish film/dust on the ground electrode. Not sure if that's normal.

Last edited:

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
I'm starting to think more and more that it's software related, assuming the car isn't running rough. Anyone who works on a computer has had issues that show up and resolve themselves on their own. Sure feels like that to me. Not saying we should be happy about it, but at least it doesn't seem to be mechanical.

15StangEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm starting to think more and more that it's software related, assuming the car isn't running rough. Anyone who works on a computer has had issues that show up and resolve themselves on their own. Sure feels like that to me. Not saying we should be happy about it, but at least it doesn't seem to be mechanical.
Well my car does not run rough however on cold starts the motor just moves a little to much, like a mini sputter, and it was like that since I bought the car so I'm not sure if that's normal, but I also think its just a software issue. Its just EXTREMLY annoying to think that you purchased a NEW car and the dang CEL is on, I mean how embarrassing is it to take someone you know for a ride and they ask you, "why is CEL on, isn't this a new car?"

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
Well my car does not run rough however on cold starts the motor just moves a little to much, like a mini sputter, and it was like that since I bought the car so I'm not sure if that's normal, but I also think its just a software issue. Its just EXTREMLY annoying to think that you purchased a NEW car and the dang CEL is on, I mean how embarrassing is it to take someone you know for a ride and they ask you, "why is CEL on, isn't this a new car?"
Know what you mean. I tell myself that if it comes back on it doesn't matter because it's just a light that's on for no real reason, but when it does it's a reminder that my brand new car isn't acting like one.

What do you mean the motor moves a little too much?

15StangEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its weird, its like a misfire but acts like its a quarter of one. The engine will run smooth and then a small "misfire" feel but not like a full-on misfire. I have been thinking of ways to show it but its not really something u can see but more so something you can feel. Its also like when you have old spark plugs or frayed spark plugs wires and ur not getting good spark and the engine jumps a little.
Sponsored