Sponsored

Musing about Eco and V8 based on my test drive.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
$4000???? For 4,000 you could get the big turbo kit from MAP performance and a custom COBB tune which puts down 390/390 at the wheels

No no, for stock GT times all it takes is: downpipe $300, intake $200, and custom tune $400, and most ppl throw in upgraded IC $400

All that for $1300
Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
GT's are 7K feature for feature more than an EB. So, if it's a 28K Eco, then it's a 35K GT. If you're going to compare base to base, then be fair about it. ;)
Well you also need to remember the base GT has a few things that you also need to factor in that 7k, which is larger brakes/rotors, Pirellis vs GY tires, etc.

Sponsored

dvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
4k in mods on the EB and you're driving a ticking time bomb with no warranty. Better have a spare block laying around. I'd rather spend a little more and have something reliable.

thxultra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost, 2016 Mercedes C300
I get 14 on hwy with my 06 gt :-(
You must have some crazy mods to be getting 14mpg. I think I got 18mpg in my 2006 GT. I had a bamma tune and C&l cold air kit. Car was a blast to drive. Going to be hard to resist a tune on this car in the future :) Waiting to make sure the tunes are stable for the ecoboost before jumping in.

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
I know you don't buy a mustang for gas mileage but when you do mostly city driving 15mpg gets expensive fast.
I did buy it for the gas mileage! :D With the gas by around $1 a liter in Canada, I'm worried a bit to buy a V8. I know. Living in Germany for 41 years and gas prices by around $2+ per liter makes me paranoia :eyebulge: if it comes to big engines.

thxultra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did buy it for the gas mileage! :D With the gas by around $1 a liter in Canada, I'm worried a bit to buy a V8. I know. Living in Germany for 41 years and gas prices by around $2+ per liter makes me paranoia :eyebulge: if it comes to big engines.
I have to admit gas mileage was part of my decision as well as I drive my car all summer. Also figured I could get the extra power for when I want it via a tune and could get a second tune for daily driving. I expect to keep this car 8 years + and expect gas to only go up in price considering how cheap it has been here in the states lately.

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
I think a lot of you may be missing a certain aspect of the EB and that is being able to take a 4-banger and get it to perform as good as an engine that is twice it's size. That is saying a lot for the tech that goes into these.

Sponsored

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
I have no glue why EcoBoost buyers like to compete with a Mustang V8. We have a saying in Germany: "If you play with the big guys - watch that you not wet yourself." I bought an EcoBoost and know that you can't go save on 400+ HP, the risk of blowing the engine without upgrading the engines too. If someone likes to have 426 HP - get a GT right away.

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
not trying to get into yet another a pissing contest over a GT and I have no intentions of modding this car.

regularly hitting mid-20's in mixed driving and Im keeping a quicker pace than most traffic. I dont especially like the noise it makes but with music on its barely audible anyways, and its still a very quiet car in general. Sound = GT. other than that, the EB has exceeded my (high) expectations in every way....comfort with PP suspension, mileage, performance, etc

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
I think a lot of you may be missing a certain aspect of the EB and that is being able to take a 4-banger and get it to perform as good as an engine that is twice it's size. That is saying a lot for the tech that goes into these.
I agree - somehow with what you say. But again. Looking at US pricing - a GT would "maybe" the easy way to get 400+ HP for less money and as mentioned already with full warranty.

thxultra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't agree more and also the fact that a car with 310hp and 320tq stock is plenty for city driving. If your going to take the car to the track then go for the GT. The ecoboost offers plenty of fun though and has a good weight balance also. I keep going back to the point that the ecoboost has more HP and TQ then my 2006 gt had. Crazy power out of a 4cylinder. I remember how awesome I thought it was to get 300hp out of the V8 in 2006 :)

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Bottom line is this,you can put lipstick on a pig,it still looks like a pig,sounds like a pig,and is a pig,same with a 4 banger,no matter what you hang on it or call it, it"s still a 4 banger.If you buy a Mustang for performance get a V8 or V6, otherwise be happy with the 4 banger, but you can"t make it into something it"s not which is a performance car.
Sponsored