Sponsored

Multiple Headlamp Options

Revenant

Threads
Reaction score
So I've seen two different headlamp styles thus far, and both styles can be found on GT models.

PROJECTOR + HALOGEN:

attachment.jpg

PROJECTOR ONLY
attachment.png

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

The projector + halogen has a different amber reflector mold and a different faux chrome (darker too) mold around the reflector and projector lens.

I would assume that the projector lens only option would be bi-xenon HID for hi and lo beam. The projector plus halogen could be a halogen bulb in the reflector. Also, I have yet to see the 3 gills lit up on the projector + halogen option. The gills on this one don't have much forward facing exposure, so they may not be anything more than sculptural.

If this is true, it's a shame, because I like the depth and darker eyed look of the projector + halogen option, but would want HID and lit gills.
headlamps.jpg
Sponsored

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Good catch.

Personally I kind of like the projector and halogen assembly, but that's just me.

C00KIE M0NSTER

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Things like this is why I could never be a detective. Thanks for pointing this out, I never noticed the difference in those pictures.

I just hope Ford offers adaptive lighting with the HIDs, where the lights turn with the car. I used to think it was a stupid feature, but after getting used to it with my current car whenever I drive someone else's car at night I feel like I can't see sh1t!

OP
OP

Revenant

Threads
Reaction score
Personally I kind of like the projector and halogen assembly, but that's just me.
Not just you :) Unless there's third option I haven't seen, I'll choose to buy a car with the less expensive (halogen) housing and retrofit a bi-xenon projector and add LEDs into cutouts for the gills. That would give me an additional hi-beam lens for driving lights :).

OP
OP

Revenant

Threads
Reaction score
Based on the color temp of the headlamps as seen in shots from the Hoonigan / Vaughn Gitten Jr. reveal I am reasonably certain the dual lens lamp uses a halogen bulb in the projector lens.
2015_mustang_front.jpg
2015_mustang_side.jpg

Sponsored

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
This came from an interview with a design team (link posted in another thread):

"The car retains some of its classic signature design elements—the tribar taillights, the new LED fins in the front lights (only on the GT edition) a nod to the fins in the first model, the grill, but it isn’t saddled by them."

qwkcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-mustang
Hopefully the Base GT gets HID + LED fins.
We need a thread for LED Tail lights.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Oh boy there goes Ford being cheap again. They should be the LED/HID combo across the board. Don't go backwards Ford!

DJ

Sorry if this has been discussed before but i havent followed as closely and too much catching up to do.

do we know yet what lights will go in each model?

GT = LED?
V6 = halogens?
I4 = .... LED? (I hope)

Radeyo

Threads
Reaction score
Their goal has always been the lowest cost possible on the base v6. Could this be them cutting corners and going back to halogens to try and cut costs due to other features?

We have yet to see the base v6 model so who knows what else they're taking out. It looks like we're seeing the fully loaded "premium" trims. Cloth interior, halogen lights, fog light deletes... all these are what they've done to cut costs in the past. I definitely think at this point the base v6 will come with halogen lights.

Sponsored

blackbeard

Threads
Reaction score
The ones with the halogens are probably for countries that require daytime running lights. I remember when the 2013's came out there was some talk about how the LED fogs and HID lamps couldn't be used as DRLs. Pure speculation here as I'm not up on all the laws but that's my guess.

OP
OP

Revenant

Threads
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed before but i havent followed as closely and too much catching up to do.

do we know yet what lights will go in each model?

GT = LED?
V6 = halogens?
I4 = .... LED? (I hope)
So far we've seen a complete mixture. That could mean it's an option on every trim level, or that could mean nothing since these are pre-production vehicles.

J. Dub

I heart newbz
Threads
Reaction score
Let's hope the HID's have AFS and self level along with turn in-out per steering wheel input. I love that about my Lexus IS.

Dyno

Based on the color temp of the headlamps as seen in shots from the Hoonigan / Vaughn Gitten Jr. reveal I am reasonably certain the dual lens lamp uses a halogen bulb in the projector lens.
It could just be the interference from lights being projected above the car, at least I hope. I know there has been suggested the base Mustang could revert back to halogens standard but this is a GT. For a 35k car aiming to steal some customers from the likes of M4 shoppers that would be a total disgrace.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
It could just be the interference from lights being projected above the car, at least I hope. I know there has been suggested the base Mustang could revert back to halogens standard but this is a GT. For a 35k car aiming to steal some customers from the likes of M4 shoppers that would be a total disgrace.
BMW and Mercedes among many luxury manufacturers still offer halogen headlights.
Sponsored