MMD rear diffuser

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Hmmm. I have my new MMD diffuser sat in my living room awaiting install.

Me thinks I might have to send this back. I don't want to install it, have it break on me in the future, and then be out for a $200 broken part.
Sponsored

OP
OP

svtguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Vert
I was thinking spray foam would be the best solution. It would definitely fill the gap,the only problem is it is permanent:crazy:?

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
Yup forget that diffuser this was my buddys car last night!

Maybe, he was about to engage an emergency stop and needed the additional power of air brakes? :shrug::eyebulge:

golfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White EB
Bump... for the sake of hoping and praying Alex will comment with some news tomorrow morning

Now to add quality to this post- I have an an update for y'all. My 80 mile 90% interstate daily commute has been accomplished 5 times incident free, and I normally cruise around 75-80. No signs of stress cracks or similar, and if you were wondering, nothing you shove into the gap will stay. My $4 worth of bubble wrap quickly blew out.

My new idea may just have some promise. Thinking about taking the panel off and using a dremel to cut slits into the bottom face of the spikes. With some precision I think I can make it look not terrible, and give air somewhere to go. Though I plan on waiting some time just in case AM/MMD decides to change it up on us.

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
I'm going to try and make something to block off those 2 areas using some ABS plastic. First problem is where to acquire some. I'm thinking of using JB Weld to attach same ABS piece to the diffuser and using the inner bumper rivet mounts to secure the pieces up top. Hopefully the JBW will hold considering bonding plastic material with be pretty strong...I hope.

I think Alex starts his new job @ AM today. Hopefully, his replacement will chime in on how to avoid this problem.

Sponsored

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
My new idea may just have some promise. Thinking about taking the panel off and using a dremel to cut slits into the bottom face of the spikes. With some precision I think I can make it look not terrible, and give air somewhere to go. Though I plan on waiting some time just in case AM/MMD decides to change it up on us.
I imagine that will just focus the air, and pressurize it, trying to escape through small vents. And you've weakened it by cutting it. My guess is it wouldn't work.

The thing that occurs to me as a solution would be to fill it with an expanding foam insulation spray. And then when it sets up, carving it into a shape that would divert the air underneath the diffuser, instead of into it.

OP
OP

svtguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Vert
What about black stick on foam,I think it is called weatherstriping .They are availailable in different thickness and width:shrug:

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
think this will happen with the mmd roof spoiler?

only asking cause i got the problem. with the rear window being slightly crooked

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
think this will happen with the mmd roof spoiler?
The issue with the diffuser is the open design where the air travels into somewhat "catching" the air. I don't think that would happen with a roof spoiler.

OP
OP

svtguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Vert
The foam weatherstripping should fill the gap and sticks on to the rear diffuser

Sponsored

golfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White EB
One thing to be aware of with the weather stripping. When the car gets up to speed, the gap becomes much larger as the plastic flexes. Trust me, I packed it tight with bubble wrap, almost to a bulge. When the gap increases in size air can get behind the packing material and push outwards.

Since weather stripping can actually be attached it might be a different story... but I think we are fighting two battles- air and plastic flexing

JSWM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT PP
I'm on vacation at the tail of the dragon this week so I don't have access to my tools, but I've been brainstorming a bit. The cause of these failures has been drag, you hold your hand vertical out the window of a moving car you get more resistance, horizontally you get less. The air needs to be deflected in some manner and further reinforced. You'll see this a lot with plastic slash guards and under trays. They flex, create drag and eventually fail. The aftermarket alternative is usually an aluminum replacement under tray. The obvious solution would be to apply this to the rear of the car as well, which in theory would remedy the gap issue and effectively turn an aesthetically designed diffuser into a functional modification. Locate 2-3 potential mounting points for L brackets (or similar) and bend or press an apropriately sized piece of aluminum.

I have no bearing on how this would impact production or pricing, it could be outrageously impractical as far as I know. I honestly don't see any other way to approach it without redesigning from the ground up though. :shrug:

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
Subd for pics

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
Sorry was at work. Didn't get to see all the other pages. Was posting real quick to book mark.
Sponsored