SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
Hey guys, on the way to work this morning I opened the car up and let her stretch her legs. Long story short, I came to the top of 4th and shifted into 5th but the car over-revved. Now, I'm 99% I shifted up into 5th and not 3rd as I'm sure this car has a lock-out feature so why would the car rev to the moon and back? I jumped on the clutch and dropped it into 6th and cruised the rest of the way. Now I'm nervous about whether or not my engine is a ticking time bomb or if it's still ok. I'm at just slightly over 13k miles.

How would I check for any possible damage without actually opening the block up? I'm FBO + FF tuned via Lund FWIW.

Thanks.
- David
Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
How does the shifting feel throughout all gears compared to before? If it shifts as it did before, I'd say you're okay.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
how would it overrev if you went up a gear, money shifts happen when you go down too far

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
How does the shifting feel throughout all gears compared to before? If it shifts as it did before, I'd say you're okay.
Didn't seem bad/different at all when exiting and running through 1st-4th. I'm looking to do the 15k maintenance and sell it soon so I don't want to leave the next owner with any unexpected issues.

how would it overrev if you went up a gear, money shifts happen when you go down too far
I know what money-shifting is, it cost me an engine in my AP1 when I was fairly new to stick. Thanks for the input though. If I knew what caused the over-rev I wouldn't be confused right now. I thought this car had a lockout feature that wouldn't allow you to downshift into a gear that was too low for conditions. And I recall shifting up to 5th. I'm pretty lost right now and won't be able to drive for another 12 hours.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't seem bad/different at all when exiting and running through 1st-4th. I'm looking to do the 15k maintenance and sell it soon so I don't want to leave the next owner with any unexpected issues.

I know what money-shifting is, it cost me an engine in my AP1 when I was fairly new to stick. Thanks for the input though. If I knew what caused the over-rev I wouldn't be confused right now. I thought this car had a lockout feature that wouldn't allow you to downshift into a gear that was too low for conditions. And I recall shifting up to 5th. I'm pretty lost right now and won't be able to drive for another 12 hours.
I think the lockout can be bypassed if you put enough pressure on it. And it doesn't always engage fast enough. I've hit 3rd instead of 5th a few times (my first manual) but I wasn't at the top of 4th, more like 3000 rpm, so it only revved to about 5000 in 3rd. Still scary.

Sponsored

65ffr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Ram 1500, '65 FFR Cobra
you were either in 3rd or neutral. 3rd woulda felt like you nailed the brakes. Sounds like your motor's probably ok tho.

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
I think the lockout can be bypassed if you put enough pressure on it. And it doesn't always engage fast enough. I've hit 3rd instead of 5th a few times (my first manual) but I wasn't at the top of 4th, more like 3000 rpm, so it only revved to about 5000 in 3rd. Still scary.
Yeah, I went from 7,400+ to God knows what! :shrug:

you were either in 3rd or neutral. 3rd woulda felt like you nailed the brakes. Sounds like your motor's probably ok tho.
Well, say I did pop it into third. There's no real way for me to inspect for damage, right? No hidden cues or anything?

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
I would think if you broke something you would already know. Overrevs break something or they don't. Additional wear? I don't think so. I'd be more worried about the tranny.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I went from 7,400+ to God knows what! :shrug:

Well, say I did pop it into third. There's no real way for me to inspect for damage, right? No hidden cues or anything?
Are you tuned with a raised limiter? If not, fuel cut off is at 7000rpm.

Your fine..

Sponsored
OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
I would think if you broke something you would already know. Overrevs break something or they don't. Additional wear? I don't think so. I'd be more worried about the tranny.
Well, I took it for quick drive on my 15 minute break and everything seemed normal. Normal start, idled fine, shifted normally and handled revs up to 3k fine.

Are you tuned with a raised limiter? If not, fuel cut off is at 7000rpm.

Your fine..
Yes sir. 7,500rpm limit. But if I grabbed 3rd at 120+, there's no saving me. I'm assuming the damage isn't severe if there is any but I'll find out tonight. I plan on driving around for at least 20-30 miles to see if I can expose anything.

fuel cutoff won't save you jamming into 3rd at 120+ mph
:eek:

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Did you shift fast or slow? Engine doesn't pull as good in 4-6, at least without a blower, so there isn't much point to speed shifting those gears. If you do shift slow, you will get warning that the engine is doing something unexpected and have time to correct the situation.

You could always setup MyKey for 85mph. You will hit the speed limiter near the top of 3rd. No worries about missing the 4-5 again. :thumbsup:

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Out of curiosity, why are you selling? Upgrade or something completely different?

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
Did you shift fast or slow? Engine doesn't pull as good in 4-6, at least without a blower, so there isn't much point to speed shifting those gears. If you do shift slow, you will get warning that the engine is doing something unexpected and have time to correct the situation.

You could always setup MyKey for 85mph. You will hit the speed limiter near the top of 3rd. No worries about missing the 4-5 again. :thumbsup:
I'd say I shifted quick, definitely not lightning fast. She pulls well up into the triple digits when road conditions allow me to do so. I know it'll be so much better with a blower though.

Out of curiosity, why are you selling? Upgrade or something completely different?
A little bit of both depending on your personal preference. I'm looking at picking up my buddies '10 GT500 or a C6 LS3. Although, I'm starting to be more biased towards keeping my current 5.0 and pro-charging it down the line. Should be able to take out both cars at that point. :eyebulge:

* There's also the option of picking up an already built Terminator, another S2K (boosted) or a boosted 11-14 Coyote.

*edit

I took the car out during my lunch break and she seems to be running just fine. Will report back later with more.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
maybe an aftermarket shifter would reduce the odds of a missed shift.

if you let the clutch out all the way, you should be able to calculate the RPM based on the speed. Assuming the clutch didn't slip any.
Sponsored