Meguiars Plastic Restorer

fxsts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
scott
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2015 GT PP anniversary package
I cannot get the built-up overspray of Meguiars "Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer" off my triple yellow paint! I found out a little late that I should have masked off the paint for the last year or so.I've buffed with rubbing compound and tried rubbing alcohol etc. Has anyone ever gotten this stuff off of paint without destroying the paint itself?
Sponsored

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
I was gonna suggest dawn but off rubbing compound didn't do it nothing will

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Bring it to a detailer.

Sponsored

limited02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
Don't even think about doing this.
Why is that? I used a magic eraser on my wife's car because there were some light scratches I couldn't clean out and a quick pass of that with light pressure did the trick. If the eraser removes what the OP wants and he follows up with a polish after, I see no issues.

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
Why is that? I used a magic eraser on my wife's car because there were some light scratches I couldn't clean out and a quick pass of that with light pressure did the trick. If the eraser removes what the OP wants and he follows up with a polish after, I see no issues.
Magic eraser removes a layer of surface!!!!

limited02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
Magic eraser removes a layer of surface!!!!
I totally understand it can dull the surface, but a few light passes will not remove the surface. Most likely you'll have to polish out the surface once done and all is well in the world.

Tell you what. I have a black car and I plan to polish/coat it this weekend if time allows and I'll see what happens when I scrub a small spot with a magic eraser.

OP
OP

fxsts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
scott
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the responses guys, it almost seems like this stuff has bonded to or become part of the paint rather than something that is on top of the paint.
I use to buff acrylic laquer in the old days and I could take a little surface off
and polish it to brand new but Ive never experienced this before. the more I do , the worse it gets so it might be detailer time. I might try the eraser in an incospicuous spot though

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Thanks for the responses guys, it almost seems like this stuff has bonded to or become part of the paint rather than something that is on top of the paint.
I use to buff acrylic laquer in the old days and I could take a little surface off
and polish it to brand new but Ive never experienced this before. the more I do , the worse it gets so it might be detailer time. I might try the eraser in an incospicuous spot though
https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...ltimate-black-plastic-restorer-aerosol-6.html

Found this thread here. Guy used a magic eraser. Another guy had some luck with a tar removal spray.

If you do try the eraser, I'd make sure you lubricate the hell out of it once you get close to the paint. It'll make it harder to get the stuff off, but it'll probably prevent major paint marring.

You should try calling Meguiar's too, they might be able to help you.

If you have a thing plastic scraper (maybe even an old credit card?) or something you might be able to get a little under it and pop it off the clear coat. I know that stuff is supposed to bond but it's not meant to be permanent.

Sponsored

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Can you post a picture of what your paint looks like? A picture would be extremely helpful.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
At the least you all have not had the smow plow driver back into you with the salt spreader and leave a hole on top of the bumper . Yep on top just under the rear tale light right side .. then get yelled at by him stating I didn't do that and have to fight to get your own insurance co. To get involved just to be told it is a no fault claim . Yeah right .... good thing for comprehensive .. ya know it is only an insurance claim and procedure , So why all of the crazyness .. now I get to drag a premium bumper with a whole in it and 20 some odd pics with tape measures and angles showing how this arse backed into me bumper . Shoot Darn Ding .. yeah and these A for trying repair guys buy an aftermarket bumper to find out I have the 1 with the sensors .. I only stated to them 20 times even had em write it down .. yeah right .. Moral of the story .. there is no such thing as luck .. just shit happens and then it does not happen ... got a new bumper hah right .. they did not use Paint match ..

OP
OP

fxsts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
scott
Vehicle(s)
picture?

instructions on how to post a picture?

OP
OP

fxsts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
scott
Vehicle(s)
Took it to someone that details cars and they said laquer thinner. they got
some off but it took awhile. Im not going to go there. I tried the rubbing alcohol and some tools that I won't mention and I got it completely off of one
spot. I estimate another 4 or 5 hours and I should have it off. I'm investing in some masking tape or using something else for the black trim! The stuff works great but if you use it, mask the paint:amen:
Sponsored