Sponsored

Magnaflow Exhaust system with dyno and numbers

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Catbacks from Borla or Bassani also included an x-pipe and even then the gains were 15hp max. '11-14 GT's had individual resonators in the overaxle pipes that were quite restrictive from a visible perspective, but removing them still only showed minimal gains.

I'm not believing either Maggy or Gibson with these graphs, not to mention the graph only going to 6,500rpm.
This..no way does this setup result in a 30whp increase lol...Ditching the cats with a full offroad x will barely get you 20 on a good day.
Sponsored

Kahdir

Threads
Reaction score
With the test car still likely in break-in period, I think these were best case numbers on a very cool morning. I would be curious to see how many passes were done while stock, after exhaust installed and how consistent the numbers were.

All in all, both apps sound good, can't wait to hear a Borla S-Type & ATAK :thumbsup:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Catbacks from Borla or Bassani also included an x-pipe and even then the gains were 15hp max. '11-14 GT's had individual resonators in the overaxle pipes that were quite restrictive from a visible perspective, but removing them still only showed minimal gains.

I'm not believing either Maggy or Gibson with these graphs, not to mention the graph only going to 6,500rpm.
Magnaflow is a pretty reputable company to fudge numbers like that..

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

I agree.

Magnaflow is a pretty reputable company to fudge numbers like that..
It's easy to manipulate data to make your point. Facts are that if they all said what real world data is, people would finally buy a catback as they should.... based on sound.

From here: http://www.magnaflow.com/08aboutus/dyno.asp

Atmospheric compensation can be used for data comparison on non-like test conditions.

That implies that they don't always run with the weather station and use SAE corrected numbers.

Plenty of real world results out there if you google them. Like this set from a 5th gen Camaro SS with just the magnaflow catback installed (Magnaflow claimed 11HP & 15 LB-LT):

Real world, same day dyno results:
1st Pull - Stock Calibration Stock Exhaust BASELINE 368/375
2nd Pull - Stock Calibration with 3" Magnaflow full catback 369/373

Sponsored

stilesg57

Threads
Reaction score
I'm still very skeptical of these numbers, for all of the reasons already mentioned by everyone above, but I will say this: two parts manufacturer dynos in a row are now showing a 30whp gain from a catback exhaust. Still skeptical, but....maybe the suitcase actually IS a horsepower-robbing monstrosity that hates both America and puppies.

I'll be completely honest: if a catback is gonna add 30whp to a GT, that seriously influences my EB/GT purchase decision.

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
I'm still very skeptical of these numbers, for all of the reasons already mentioned by everyone above, but I will say this: two parts manufacturer dynos in a row are now showing a 30whp gain from a catback exhaust. Still skeptical, but....maybe the suitcase actually IS a horsepower-robbing monstrosity that hates both America and puppies.

I'll be completely honest: if a catback is gonna add 30whp to a GT, that seriously influences my EB/GT purchase decision.
i think you are going to find that there is a lot of hidden hp on the 5.0 and eb that ford left on the table.. :)

beers

stilesg57

Threads
Reaction score
Oh I knew it would be there with the EB, but factory NA motors RARELY leave over 8% more whp on the table from just the factory exhaust piping sitting behind the cats. That is NOT common, and it would be awesome if the 5.0 pulls that off.

I generally don't enjoy tuning NA cars because the gains are rarely very perceptible for the price paid. IF it's the case with the GT that it makes respectable, turbo-car-like-gains from the simple and cheap bolt-ons like catbacks, it's crazy good news for the car and the S550 in general. And it might push me more in the direction of the GT frankly.

OP
OP
Todd15Fastback

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
This was just posted in the other MF thread like this. This poster must work for MF.

Car was 100% stock, with 30 miles on it, Gas in the tank was original from Ford.

No tune was made, zero modifications aside from a cat back exhaust. No headers, OEM cats remained.

Gear dynoed in was 5th with 1:1 drive ratio.

Dyno used was a dynojet.

We have nothing to hide here, no trickery involved!

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Everyone keeps going back to the 11 to 14s, this is a completely different exhaust, u cant compare.Plus no one knows anything about that suitcase, at least nothing thats just an opinion.Thats three companys that got about 30 hp from the catback, theirs something to that.

Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
5 HP is ridiculous to state for a full cat back exhaust on a dual exhaust system lol.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
5 HP is ridiculous to state for a full cat back exhaust on a dual exhaust system lol.
I've been able to barely pick up 40hp with tune, intake, and catless LT headers into full 3" straight pipe. I doubt a catback is getting you 30hp, I'm sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
I've been able to barely pick up 40hp with tune, intake, and catless LT headers into full 3" straight pipe. I doubt a catback is getting you 30hp, I'm sorry to burst anyone's bubble.
Well I have been reading ur post and I think u have other issues going on, other companys are picking up way more than 40 hp with those mods.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Arh picked up 29 hp just with their long tubes on stock mufflers.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Well I have been reading ur post and I think u have other issues going on, other companys are picking up way more than 40 hp with those mods.
I'll be curious to see customer cars and what they pick up.
Sponsored