slimcoyote550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kaden
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
EDIT: Hello again,
I didn't want to start a brand new thread to ask this question.
I believe I will be getting a Vengeance Stage 2 Clutch Kit. Lethal Performance seems to be one of the better/reliable sites.
They offer an extended warranty, which on papers sounds like a good idea, but maybe for a clutch, I feel like it's very situational on whether or not they will warranty it out.
Is it worth it to get an extended warranty on an aftermarket clutch?

17 GT w/ MT82
Was at a stop light, taking off in first gear, hit about 6k rpm, I don't remember if I hit the clutch or not to shift, but the car acted like it went into neutral while in first gear. I was locked in first and couldn't shift out, clutch pedal lost pressure, a lot softer, and no engagement feel, but it doesn't get stuck to the floor and will come back up. After pulling over and waiting for tow truck, noticed I can shift into gear while the engine is off. The car wouldn't start if in gear though, would start to roll while trying to start. I didn't try starting the car in neutral.

Immediately jumped to thinking it's time to replace the clutch. Now thinking about the Clutch Master Cylinder. I haven't checked the brake fluid level yet.
I am ready to buy a new master cylinder with new lines and pedal spring, was hoping for any input on the matter, if it is the clutch or master cylinder.

I do not track the car, it is my daily. I try to baby the transmission, with some fun moments. Never clutch dump.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Put it in 1st and try to push it. If you can, suspect the clutch isn't engaging. If you can't, most likely the release bearing.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’m guessing the release bearing. These cars have a return spring so even with no hydraulic pressure the pedal won’t necessarily be stuck to the floor. Or the clutch line may have failed, or you obliterated the disk. Take your pick. Lol.

While you’re in there, plan to replace it all
Clutch/flywheel
Release bearing
Pilot bearing
Clutch line

I replaced my OEM clutch (which didn’t fail, but chattered like hell… flywheel was hot spotted and the clutch had slipped a few times) with the Exedy MACH 500, paired with the Exedy chromoly flywheel. I went with the Steeda braided line as well. HUGE improvement over stock. The pedal effort is exactly the same. It also comes with an Exedy release bearing and pilot bearing.

That clutch should have no problem holding whatever NA power you throw at it. If you plan to boost it, then look at something rated for more power. The chromoly flywheel saved a good chunk of rotational mass and the engine is much more responsive to throttle input. No issue with revs dropping between shifts, which seems to be everyone’s discouragement about a lightened flywheel.

If Exedy isn’t your flavor, just be sure to pair the same brand clutch and flywheel. They don’t always mix well if you use different brands.

OP
OP
slimcoyote550

slimcoyote550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kaden
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
I’m guessing the release bearing. These cars have a return spring so even with no hydraulic pressure the pedal won’t necessarily be stuck to the floor. Or the clutch line may have failed, or you obliterated the disk. Take your pick. Lol.

While you’re in there, plan to replace it all
Clutch/flywheel
Release bearing
Pilot bearing
Clutch line

I replaced my OEM clutch (which didn’t fail, but chattered like hell… flywheel was hot spotted and the clutch had slipped a few times) with the Exedy MACH 500, paired with the Exedy chromoly flywheel. I went with the Steeda braided line as well. HUGE improvement over stock. The pedal effort is exactly the same. It also comes with an Exedy release bearing and pilot bearing.

That clutch should have no problem holding whatever NA power you throw at it. If you plan to boost it, then look at something rated for more power. The chromoly flywheel saved a good chunk of rotational mass and the engine is much more responsive to throttle input. No issue with revs dropping between shifts, which seems to be everyone’s discouragement about a lightened flywheel.

If Exedy isn’t your flavor, just be sure to pair the same brand clutch and flywheel. They don’t always mix well if you use different brands.
My plan right now was a new clutch master cylinder, and both steeda lines. But both assumptions lead to popping the trans.

Sponsored

OP
OP
slimcoyote550

slimcoyote550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kaden
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Did you pop the hydraulic hose?
I will check that. To be honest, I haven't popped the hood yet. Just got it in my garage until I get parts. No idea if I leaked fluid either, but now I have things to look for.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
IMO I'm suspecting the clutch disc itself blew apart since the failure was at higher RPM. A lot of the 15-17 cars have had this type of failure, where all the friction material just blows off the clutch out of seemingly nowhere.

Therealmattlex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I'm Also guessing the friction plate exploded. Mine did the same thing. the friction material came apart and a few chunks wedged between the remaining friction material and flywheel. I had a soft pedal and could only shift by rev matching. It basically made the clutch locked solid.

juk15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
magnetic 2015 mustang gt
17 GT w/ MT82
Was at a stop light, taking off in first gear, hit about 6k rpm, I don't remember if I hit the clutch or not to shift, but the car acted like it went into neutral while in first gear. I was locked in first and couldn't shift out, clutch pedal lost pressure, a lot softer, and no engagement feel, but it doesn't get stuck to the floor and will come back up. After pulling over and waiting for tow truck, noticed I can shift into gear while the engine is off. The car wouldn't start if in gear though, would start to roll while trying to start. I didn't try starting the car in neutral.

Immediately jumped to thinking it's time to replace the clutch. Now thinking about the Clutch Master Cylinder. I haven't checked the brake fluid level yet.
I am ready to buy a new master cylinder with new lines and pedal spring, was hoping for any input on the matter, if it is the clutch or master cylinder.

I do not track the car, it is my daily. I try to baby the transmission, with some fun moments. Never clutch dump.
It is the clutch. It will be in a few pieces. Same thing happened to me in my 15, while I was playing with a viper and gt500 at sebring turn 16. Wouldn't shift unless car is off.

Flywheel was perfect. Hydraulic TO bearing looked ok but replaced it and the clutch. Look at it this way....UPGRADE time!

WhitemarePP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Check for fluid leaking from the bell housing. My 15 did something similar and one of the bellows in the hydraulic throwout bearing somehow had a hole in it. I used it as an upgrade opportunity and went with a Centerforce throwout, McLeod RST, MGW and BG Syncromesh. It’s still an MT82 but man sooo much better.

Sponsored
OP
OP
slimcoyote550

slimcoyote550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kaden
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Appreciate the input everyone, thank you.
I am trying to think of this as a positive upgrade lol. Also looking into the work, it doesn't seem too difficult, even it being my first transmission pull.

My only question now, how can I tell if the hydraulic Clutch Master Cylinder behind the pedal is bad or not? I am considering replacing it as well to be safe or figure out if it's still ok?

Also, any input on buying used clutch kits? I'm offered a good deal on a LPXHD kit that was used for 1000 miles before going th400. Comes with the lightweight stainless steel flywheel and new throwout bearing as well.

Last edited:

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
If you do end up dropping the trans I second @Shifting_Gears recommendations, only thing I did different was the lightweight flywheel. Also did mine on jackstands and added the MGW as well. I was able to get the car high enough to install the shifter on the trans which made the install so much easier. One or two helpers are also nice.

EDIT: I personally wouldn’t buy used, buy all new and do a proper break-in and enjoy

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
Spend the extra money and avoid used parts in places where it sucks to pull shit apart again trying to save a buck. And "throwout beraring" is what you need, not throwing.
Are you sure you are up to this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
slimcoyote550

slimcoyote550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kaden
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Spend the extra money and avoid used parts in places where it sucks to pull shit apart again trying to save a buck. And "throwout beraring" us what you need, not throwing.
Are you sure you are up to this?
Sorry that had to be autocorrect. I've been looking at too many throwout bearings to not know the spelling. Even this being my first trans pull, I got people around to help, watched a video and have access to ProDemand and feel confident. I really love these S550s and plan on working them a lot, so might as well start.

Thanks everyone again on the input about the used clutch. I completely agree and never thought I'd go used.
Now to decide which clutch. Car is currently FBO but plan on going ESS supercharger. Probably no more than 800hp.
Sponsored