Longtubes going on today...tuning question

degajake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium 6MT
Excuse my ignorance as this is my first time dealing with anything besides some springs, wheels and a catback.

I have some catted sw longtubes going on alongside a Corsa sport catback today. The shop installing them is top-notch and has been wonderful to work with. I'm just looking for some opinions on the tuning aspect as we are not planning to fully dyno tune the car until I get an intake as well. All they were going to do today was essentially clear any codes that pop up.

Should I be adamant on just doing a full tune without the intake or will I be fine with just clearing the codes and waiting to do the full tune? I understand that there's no point in throwing longtubes on without a nice tune to go along with it but was not necessarily in a rush to get the whole car done in one go.

Thanks in advance for any opinions!
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Keep your intake! It's one of the best ones. Just change the filter to a drop in and you're set. You will be just fine and the tune will be great with that setup. Save your money.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Keep your intake! It's one of the best ones. Just change the filter to a drop in and you're set. You will be just fine and the tune will be great with that setup. Save your money.
Yup this. Keep intake, add drop in, go ahead and dyno tune with the long tubes and enjoy. If e85 is available in your area then tune for that as well and enjoy all the extra power and cooling.

OP
OP
degajake

degajake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium 6MT
Thanks for the replies! Seeing as most shops are backed up for some time, is it a problem to drive without the tune (again just clearing the codes) until I am able to get on the dyno?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Agreed. Dial it in today (if possible) and If you decide that you still want a CAI, go with a no tune required version and a retune won't be necessary. I know PMAS makes one and I believe JLT does too, if one of those was what you were considering.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thanks for the replies! Seeing as most shops are backed up for some time, is it a problem to drive without the tune (again just clearing the codes) until I am able to get on the dyno?
Remote tuning will be pretty quick and it will give you a chance to feel the car out yourself during data logging and testing out revised tunes. Might as well tune for E85 too while you’re at it.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You don't need a tune for headers.
Will you stop saying this nonsense? People don't need to be driving around on their stock tune with long tube headers on.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Will you stop saying this nonsense? People don't be driving around on their stock tune with long tube headers on.
It's rare that I would agree with Wildhorse, but why shouldn't people need to be driving around with long tubes on a stock tune? Have you logged a car with long tube headers? Seen any actual issues?

Last edited:

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
It's rare that I would agree with Wildhorse, but why shouldn't people need to be driving around with long tubes on a stock tune? Have you logged a car with long tubes and headers? Seen any actual issues?
Do you like spending $1200-$2000 on a bunch of noise with no real gains? By all means, keep driving on your stock tune. Your fuel trims and O2 sensors will love it.

Sponsored

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you like spending $1200-$2000 on a bunch of noise with no real gains? By all means, keep driving on your stock tune. Your fuel trims and O2 sensors will love it.
You didn't answer the questions though. And in addition, any back to back dyno results to back up your claims of tune vs no tune?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You didn't answer the questions though. And in addition, any back to back dyno results to back up your claims of tune vs no tune?
This is a joke right? Go ahead, keep your stock tune on and run long tubes. Do your thing.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is a joke right? Go ahead, keep your stock tune on and run long tubes. Do your thing.
Not a joke. I'm not looking for your advice on how to build my car, I'm looking for you to backup what you have publicly presented as fact because your lack of understanding of fuel trims, etc has shown in previous posts. Perhaps you have some factual information to back up your claims. I'm here to learn, but your statements go against things I have been taught by respectable tuners in the industry.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Will you stop saying this nonsense? People don't need to be driving around on their stock tune with long tube headers on.
Nonsense ? LOL. For simplicity sake, the front wideband o2 monitor A/F ratio, rear o2 cat efficiency. Dude has aftermarket cats. Hes gonna get p0420/p0430 anyways, all this happens AFTER the MAF. All the MAF sees is slightly more airflow and compensates. All GOOD tuners do is move the exhaust cam around and mess with the timing a little for a little more zip. So you can run a stock tune with headers no problem.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Nonsense ? LOL. For simplicity sake, the front wideband o2 monitor A/F ratio, rear o2 cat efficiency. Dude has aftermarket cats. Hes gonna get p0420/p0430 anyways, all this happens AFTER the MAF. All the MAF sees is slightly more airflow and compensates. All GOOD tuners do is move the exhaust cam around and mess with the timing a little for a little more zip. So you can run a stock tune with headers no problem.
Didn't realize you were a top tuner for the Coyote platform.
Sponsored