Sponsored

Longterm effects of 87 vs 91 vs 93 fuel in EB?

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Reason I ask, I know there's a hp drop but I dont utilize the difference. I commute highway 99% of time. Is there any long-term ill effects of using 87 vs 91/93 for engine wear or anything? I almost cringed when my fuel just ran $50 to fill up, never in my life have I ever spent over 28 dollars to fill my tank in other cars. Granted this holds a few more dollars but 93 was a ton more than the 87.

Are you supposed to use more than 91 because I see it says 91 rec, but I read people using 93 so I pumped 93.

Thanks for info!
Sponsored

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
$50+ for a tank of fuel (even 87) is normal for me...welcome to CA.

No negatives to 91 other than slightly down on power compared to 93. Computer will just pull a little timing to prevent detonation and keep on trucking no problem.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I use Mobil/Esso 91 because it doesn't have ethanol in it. If they end up putting it into it, I'll probably just go to 87 to save the money, since around these parts they typically charge 25 cents extra per litre for 91, which is about 20% premium. Since I'm no boy racer, the reduction in performance will likely go unnoticed by me.

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
All my fuel has ethanol in my area, I’ve never seen fuel without ethanol to be honest. I just know it’s like 10 bucks per fill up extra, and I don’t use the power. If there’s no I’ll effect hurting engine
Itl be 87 here on out.

Say 3 years using 87 and I start putting 93, it won’t be weaker than if I used 93 for the whole time right? I’m getting at long term effects

Sponsored

showbbq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Owner's manual says 87 right? It'll be fine. Toss in some fuel injector cleaner occasionally if that helps your peace of mind.

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone. Guess I’ll enjoy this tank before my car detunes, sure is peppy.

brpec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4WD

Reason I ask, I know there's a hp drop but I dont utilize the difference. I commute highway 99% of time. Is there any long-term ill effects of using 87 vs 91/93 for engine wear or anything? I almost cringed when my fuel just ran $50 to fill up, never in my life have I ever spent over 28 dollars to fill my tank in other cars. Granted this holds a few more dollars but 93 was a ton more than the 87.

Are you supposed to use more than 91 because I see it says 91 rec, but I read people using 93 so I pumped 93.

Thanks for info!

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
I buy only shell its literally 10 seconds from my house. I was only worried about octane. As it says 91 rec in the manual, meaning it shouldn't use 87 lol. I dont trust the small shop or Walmart etc. I do trust Costco though, if im there I would grab it in a pinch. We actually had issues w BP here in my area. It had way more detergents than it should of, they had to blend up the fuel more or something the BP guy was there and I was talking to him, they had to overhaul their mixing station due to way too many detergents being in the gas and they wouldn't let anyone use it til they got it rectified. Fun fact.

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
My GF has an EB Escape which she pumps 87 in, and it runs fine, but it isn't a Mustang. Apples to Oranges, maybe. We buy our gas from Shell as well, but that's not because it is best. Just proximity. Anyway, I pump premium always. I think it is 93. I do have a GT, so I am going by what I think and it all depends on how you drive if you will notice. Higher octane burns slower but also hotter and cleaner. Keeping that in mind, when I had my 05 I detuned it from premium and ran 89. I know there was a difference, but I couldn't tell most of the time. Maybe look at mid-grade if you are iffy on jumping from premium to basic. You will get some of the benefits of a cleaner burn without paying the premium price.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Just an FYI, using a higher octane gas will result in better mileage, because of the higher burn temp and more complete burn it equates into better mileage. But before you get all giggy over it, the difference is so small you will never notice it. I ran 87 in my GT until I installed the stage 2 power pack which requires 91 or better so now I run 93 from shell or sunoco only.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I buy only shell its literally 10 seconds from my house. I was only worried about octane. As it says 91 rec in the manual, meaning it shouldn't use 87 lol. I dont trust the small shop or Walmart etc. I do trust Costco though, if im there I would grab it in a pinch. We actually had issues w BP here in my area. It had way more detergents than it should of, they had to blend up the fuel more or something the BP guy was there and I was talking to him, they had to overhaul their mixing station due to way too many detergents being in the gas and they wouldn't let anyone use it til they got it rectified. Fun fact.
Costco gas is 'Top Tier,' if that matters. Just had a chat with one of the top hot rod engine builders in the state (California), and he said he sees less top end crud in engines that used Chevron or Texaco exclusively. Costco is good enough for me.

California gas is expensive, but the price delta between grades is typically smaller; e.g. if 87 is $2.95/g, 89 will be $3.05 and 'premium'--the best we can usually get--will be $3.15.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I use and have always used 93 octane in my Ecoboost I want all the power she has on tap.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
No long term negative effects will occur if you run 87. If you maintain the vehicle via oil changes, checking coolant, checking plugs when required, changing air filter when required, etc... it’s going to run a very long time, even if using 87... or 89...

If you google “fuel octane myths”, there’s so much factual info that most folks waste money on higher octane fuels when it’s not always necessary (even the Govt states the same in an FTC write up).

IF you have an aftermarket tune (Ford or other), or have (insert major power adder here), then yes of course you should always run the higher octane (as noted in Company-X tuning docs).

For daily driving, most vehicles today will operate fine on 87 or 89 octane with no detrimental effects.