Sponsored

Lockout of 1st?

kulfyur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 LE Mustang
I'm not sure if it's supposed to do that or not. It's gotten pretty cold here over the last week, <30 F. I've noticed when it gets less than 20 F the clutch gets a little bit rougher until it warms up. Well with it getting so cold I've changed my wheels and tires to A/S tires and started driving it in Sport mode. It seems that in sport mode it locks you out of first unless you're at a complete stop (or darn close to it). I was wondering if this is really the case or if there is an issue with my transmission?

Of course if it's meant to be that way I have not complaint. I'm really just dropping to first cause I know I'm about to stop and immediately continue, but I can wade through neutral if i have to.

Any one else noticing this? All other manuals I've owned allowed me to shift through all gears at any speed with no problem (unless of course I engage the clutch lol)
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I'm not sure if it's supposed to do that or not. It's gotten pretty cold here over the last week, <30 F. I've noticed when it gets less than 20 F the clutch gets a little bit rougher until it warms up. Well with it getting so cold I've changed my wheels and tires to A/S tires and started driving it in Sport mode. It seems that in sport mode it locks you out of first unless you're at a complete stop (or darn close to it). I was wondering if this is really the case or if there is an issue with my transmission?

Of course if it's meant to be that way I have not complaint. I'm really just dropping to first cause I know I'm about to stop and immediately continue, but I can wade through neutral if i have to.

Any one else noticing this? All other manuals I've owned allowed me to shift through all gears at any speed with no problem (unless of course I engage the clutch lol)
I don't have a Mustang, but on my 350Z the first gear syncros have never been very good, and therefore getting into first at any speed is pretty tough, ESPECIALLY if the oil is cold and thick. It gets much easier when the oil is warmed up, and easier still if you double clutch (drop to neutral, rev-match, then shift to first).

Long story short, maybe the cold temperatures are aggravating this issue, to the point where you are now noticing it. I would doubt it has anything to do with sport mode. Also, if you are still rolling, maybe second is a better gear to use (at least as a workaround).

-T

unintelligible

V1, VR, Gear Up!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium
Pretty normal I think. My G37 was like that, basically had to be at a standstill to downshift into 1st. But my BMW could care less, I can shift into 1st at like 10-15 without any difficulty at all.

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Pretty normal I think. My G37 was like that, basically had to be at a standstill to downshift into 1st. But my BMW could care less, I can shift into 1st at like 10-15 without any difficulty at all.

I can do this with no problem on mine. It is florida though a toasty 80+ degree weather constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
It will definitely be temperature related and yes it is normal. If you know you are coming to a complete stop then wait to put it in first. If you are going to come to a crawl and then set off again, leave it in 2nd and off you go. The oil in the gearbox will be thick due to cold temperatures and will need extra time to warm up and thin out

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT