Sponsored

Manual Transmission Issue in Cold Weather

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
This has happened to me a few times recently in cold weather (0-20 degrees Fahrenheit) before the car has fully warmed up. If I’m driving say in 3rd gear and approaching a stop sign, I normally hit the brakes, depress the clutch, and shift the car into first gear as I’m approaching the stop sign while the car is still moving. However, a few times, the first gear position feels like it is closed and I cannot shift into that position. Instead, the shifter feels like it is hitting something and will rapidly vibrate/wiggle sideways. If I move the shifter back to the neutral position and then back into the first gear position, it will usually fall into place then, although very roughly (oftentimes the car is stopped by this point and not moving). The clutch pedal has been depressed all the way to the floor, so that’s not the issue. I’ve also had this happen once on a cold 1-2 gear shift, where the shifter just did not want to go into second gear.

I should note that this is my first manual transmission car, so I’m not sure if this is normal. I know others are complaining about notchy shifts in cold weather (I have that too), but haven’t seen anyone mention this issue.
Sponsored

unintelligible

V1, VR, Gear Up!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium
Probably normal, many MTs don't like going into 1st unless practically at a standstill.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
We haven't been that cold, but on the coldish days I have driven the transmission is what I'd call notchy. I've never had it not want to go into gear, but it definitely doesn't feel the same. After it warms up it seems to be fine.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I took my kids to school this morning in the Atlanta area and it was 24-25 degrees and I had no issues downshifting as I approached a red light or stop sign.

I don't go from 3rd to 1st either. I go 3rd to 2nd to 1st. That is always how I have driven all my manual transmission cars.

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
^ Same as Todd said, always a good idea to go down in gears in order in my opinion.

My WRX had a problem going from speed and like 3 to 1. You would always hear the synchros struggling and the gearing whining. No need to put things under stress.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
^ Same as Todd said, always a good idea to go down in gears in order in my opinion.

My WRX had a problem going from speed and like 3 to 1. You would always hear the synchros struggling and the gearing whining. No need to put things under stress.
As in row down through the gears with the clutch depressed the whole time as I'm braking to a stop? Sorry I'm new to manual driving so I'm not familiar with all the techniques yet.

I'm not really looking to engine brake to a stop in these types of situations (neighborhood driving with lots of stop signs). I just want to use my brakes to stop and be in first gear ready to go when the car has fully stopped.

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
As in row down through the gears with the clutch depressed the whole time as I'm braking to a stop? Sorry I'm new to manual driving so I'm not familiar with all the techniques yet.
No problem man. Usually if I know Im about to stop Ill either do one of the following:

1. Clutch in, and put it in neutral and coast to a stop. Once the vehicle has stopped put it in first and go.

2. You can also do whats called engine braking. As you down shift, you blip the throttle and go through each gear. This will slow you down without using your brakes and put less stress on your transmission internals.

heres the formal definition of engine braking:

Engine braking passively reduces wear on brakes and helps a driver maintain control of the vehicle. Active use of engine braking (shifting into a lower gear) is advantageous when it is necessary to control speed while driving down very steep and long slopes. It should be applied before regular disk or drum brakes have been used, leaving the brakes available to make emergency stops. The desired speed is maintained by using engine braking to counteract the gravitational acceleration.

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
No problem man. Usually if I know Im about to stop Ill either do one of the following:

1. Clutch in, and put it in neutral and coast to a stop. Once the vehicle has stopped put it in first and go.

2. You can also do whats called engine braking. As you down shift, you blip the throttle and go through each gear. This will slow you down without using your brakes and put less stress on your transmission internals.

heres the formal definition of engine braking:

Engine braking passively reduces wear on brakes and helps a driver maintain control of the vehicle. Active use of engine braking (shifting into a lower gear) is advantageous when it is necessary to control speed while driving down very steep and long slopes. It should be applied before regular disk or drum brakes have been used, leaving the brakes available to make emergency stops. The desired speed is maintained by using engine braking to counteract the gravitational acceleration.
Thanks! I've been working on engine braking and get the basics but I'm still pretty slow at it at this point.

In terms of using the brakes to stop, is there any reason not to shift into first (with the clutch in) as I'm coming to a stop? This saves me a second or two by not having to shift from neutral to first once the car is at a standstill, but if it's somehow harmful to the transmission I'll definitely stop using this approach.

Max57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 1957 Chevy BelAir
What you're describing regarding going into 1st before a full stop isn't unusual. My little Honda DelSol does the same thing, even more so when it's colder. I really have to be going quite slow to be able to put her in 1st gear. How-ever I have no problems skipping gears when slowing or coming to a stop as in going from 5th to 2nd.

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
In terms of using the brakes to stop, is there any reason not to shift into first (with the clutch in) as I'm coming to a stop? T
You should be fine if youre just about to come to a stop. You just dont want to try to put it in first when youre at like 30mph :lol:

Sponsored

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
The lock is a safeguard. You don't want to accidentally release the clutch in first at 30 mph.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The lock from going into first while your car is moving at high speed.
Hmm...I haven't tested that out yet and don't really want to try to.

The situation I'm talking about is trying to move the shifter into the first gear position with the clutch pedal fully depressed while braking to a stop. It's prevented me from moving the shifter into that position at pretty low speeds (<5 mph). I'm just trying to move the shifter into position for when I come to a stop and am not actually releasing the clutch pedal to engage the transmission into first gear at that point.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like you have to come to a complete stop before you can get it into first.
Sponsored