Sponsored

Let's talk "AI"

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
PREFACING THIS - please do NOT go off on any tangents and get into any political (Govt. related) debating ....

Ok, so this isn't anything new - AI (Artificial Intelligence) has been subject matter for many years. It's not just a recent "oh wow" moment that it can be done. It's more along the lines of, wow, it's getting better and better as technology has been advancing.

With that said, with all the now recent news fodder about it and seeing many Companies starting to use more AI not just in technology sectors or say assembly of goods - where does that leave the massive human populous as far as being employed?

If AI continues and as people are replaced at XYZ job/profession because of the fact that AI (in some instances) can do the job faster, more efficient, with less errors, and for less cost (wages/benefits)?

I'm being serious - and yes AI won't "take over", there will still be jobs/professions where a human is a necessity - but will Governments then start to pay out $$$ to humans where AI has replaced what used to be a position that a human worked? How will people (in the future as this progresses faster) continue to make a living if AI is encroaching on what used to be a human task?

Remember AI isn't just a robot replacing a human, replacing a human cashier with a self-checkout kiosk can also be AI...

Discuss.
Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Just like when buggy whips were no longer needed, the work force will need to be trained in skills needed. Someone has to maintain the equipment if used. Also, just because AI is faster and cheaper doesn't mean it'll be better. I rarely shop at Walmart, but needed something early in the morning and they were the only store open at the time. This was in West Virginia last week. There were only 2 check out aisles. Not only 2 open, but only 2 for the entire store, one on each side. The entire center was a large self check out area. I also noted that there were at least 5 employees helping shoppers self check out.
As I have always said, the cheapest isn't always the least expensive.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
AI is now huge with criminals. They have the ability to clone voices very easily from just a few sentences( gathered on Tik Tok, Facebook) Granddaughter Susie at college ā€œruns into a cyclist with her carā€ (fake). Sheā€™s tossed in jail( fake). She calls the grandparents ( her name and number come up on the phone and the voice is identical to Susie ) and the AI Carries on a conversation asking for money.
Grandparents pull cash and hand it to a courier at their door.
Boom, money all gone and there is absolutely no recourse with their bank.
Not much of AI bothers me, with the exception of its use to bilk people of life savings.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I'm in cybersecurity, and have worked in various roles in the intelligence community throughout the years. I don't see things like ChatGPT being a replacement for knowledge, but rather, a better way to gather, amass, sort, and filter data. For instance, I used to run a program that was implementing i2 Analyst's Notebook, an entity-link analysis application, with a natural language processing plugin. We could load 1000 intelligence reports, analyze them with the NLP solution, tag the entities, links, and properties of the entities and links within the documents, then analyze them, visually. We could also create search parameters to look through the data to find patterns, like "all IED attacks within a date range in a given geographical area sorted by time of day". Of course, it took significant understanding of the underlying data and how to use the search tools to actually get useful distilled results.

Now, if I was able to build a GPT-3 or GPT-4 enabled system that could interface with the underlying iBase database, could ingest intelligence reports in the same way as our NLP solution, then allow me to run queries on the data without knowledge of the database or data structures, it would be a huge force amplifier, from an analysis perspective. Instead of 100 clicks to build a query, only to find out I didn't get what I wanted, a natural language query of "Show me all violent attacks between the hours of 0600 and 1000 in a 50 mile radius of XXX LAT and XXX LONG, occurring on Mondays" would allow analysts to spend time analyzing data, rather than building queries.

From a manufacturing perspective, I think the AI tools will just make quality control and monitoring better. Whatever roles have been automated have largely had robots implemented, at this point. Maybe there will be fewer QA/QC engineers in the loop, or we may have AI tools that can develop processes and workflows, but I don't see AI being able to replace eyes on products completely.

JR

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
AI is fine till it becomes self aware.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
AI for a very narrow purpose with limited power is a good idea. AI WILL be a useful tool, so long as humans are the ones ultimately in control. What I fear, is the HUMANS will become the tools of AI. I know several people who, seemingly do no have, nor want their own autonomy, these people just want to follow orders and I am sure they will blindly follow a general AI.

To me, AI is a coin toss if it will be a good or a bad thing for us.

What I don't like is the idea of AI's making any form of art. That is where I draw the line.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
We've seen the movies of this, they never end well, yet we are marching full speed ahead into enslaving the human race . Ya , Ya I know, I know, those engineering these things would never take it too far that we could not control it/them anymore.
I think this will be the end of us all.
We don't need any of it. we have enough workers, We just need to stop paying them more to wait on a check sitting on their butts, and force them to have to join the work force.
No one has the balls, so we will go down a road that will end freedom and then once we are not useful , end the human race.

Uniform printout reads end of line
Protect code intact leaves little time
Erratic surveys, free thinking not allowed
My hands shake, my push buttons silence
The outside crowd
One world g--------t has outlawed war among nations
Now social control requires population termination
Have we come too far
To turn around
Does emotion hold the key
Is logic just a synonym for
This savagery, disguised in
Forgotten lost memory
Microchip logic
have we no more thought
"Is this wrong" I enter
Answers sought
Punch, punch, punch, transfer this data
Into code. Wide eyes watch my
Number 156 is shown
Created from past life to perform
Illicit function, I fail this conscious
Madness I man/machine imperfection
Have we come too far
To turn around
Does emotion hold the key
Is logic just a synonym for
This savagery, disguised in
Forgotten lost memory
End of line

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I think that we need to heed warning from the likes of Musk. He knows and understands technology more then the average Joe when it comes to this subject matter. He says it could be the end of humanity and I donā€™t doubt it. Once a being becomes conscious it does not want to die or be killed.

AI will ultimately learn to not just perform jobs but will want to reproduce itself and build things we can only imagine. I donā€™t really think we can encompass whatā€™s coming but I donā€™t think itā€™s going to be any good.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Steve Hawking (sp) warned against this also.

Currently we have AI designing the new AI systems........

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
PREFACING THIS - please do NOT go off on any tangents and get into any political (Govt. related) debating ....

Ok, so this isn't anything new - AI (Artificial Intelligence) has been subject matter for many years. It's not just a recent "oh wow" moment that it can be done. It's more along the lines of, wow, it's getting better and better as technology has been advancing.

With that said, with all the now recent news fodder about it and seeing many Companies starting to use more AI not just in technology sectors or say assembly of goods - where does that leave the massive human populous as far as being employed?

If AI continues and as people are replaced at XYZ job/profession because of the fact that AI (in some instances) can do the job faster, more efficient, with less errors, and for less cost (wages/benefits)?

I'm being serious - and yes AI won't "take over", there will still be jobs/professions where a human is a necessity - but will Governments then start to pay out $$$ to humans where AI has replaced what used to be a position that a human worked? How will people (in the future as this progresses faster) continue to make a living if AI is encroaching on what used to be a human task?

Remember AI isn't just a robot replacing a human, replacing a human cashier with a self-checkout kiosk can also be AI...

Discuss.
Where does it leave humans? The same place humans are always left: in a better position. AI will replace jobs but new jobs will be created. Anytime you have something new people will run around fear mongering. It sells papers, gets clicks, and sounds "cool".

Last couple of stores I went didn't have a cashier. One you put stuff in a bag and walk out, it automatically calculates it for you. This ship has sailed.

I've been using ChatGPT for a while for speeches, meetings, research, etc. Now with the mobile version I use it instead of google. It is not perfect, and rewrite is always necessary, but it can help with the writing process.

People are ready for how fast AI will impact their lives. That will spread fear faster than anything else. Just like we seen with mRNA.

When I get old, I hope technology is around can help me be independent for longer. Everyone else can live in all the fear they want.

Musk? Really? The same guy who owns Neuralink and got approvals to start human trials? Once he starts connecting the human with AI, all bets are off. He might have been surpassed by a wireless version in early development by someone else anyway. Tech is moving so quickly!

Musk only fears some other company is going to get ahead of him. I'm hoping by the time I get old his cars can drive me around when I can't trust myself to do it. So whatever. Bring me AI. If it launches nukes against Russia, oh well.

Last edited:

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
It will launch nukes against all humans. Not just Russia.
Exactly AI will want to be the dominant life form and we have plenty of history showing how this will turn out.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
It will launch nukes against all humans. Not just Russia.
Swoosh. Right over your head. AI will send Terminator X to the past and become Public Enemy. :cwl:

Some people live in fear of change, no matter if AI, EVs, etc. Fear the clown human who uses technology for evil. The same clown will use a gun for evil.