Sponsored

768mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
So, a checklist I have put together thus far to make it easier for those who may be wondering how to attack this process (understanding each State requirement variance)

Dealer repair- 3+ repairs depending for EXACT SAME ISSUE that has not been repaired to YOUR liking.
You are the consumer of their product. They do not dictate what you are comfortable with. Make sure they provide technical data and specs to back their claim of "normal". This does NOT include the word from their techs, that's subjective.

Ford Customer Service Rep- inform and introduce yourself and issues experience to start a case for you. Request additional repairs, where they may request other dealers to get various opinions/technical data, for review.
-No resolution? Request replacement or buyback (as a courtesy). Most likely will result in denial.

Mail Final Repair Notification- Mail copies of all repair orders, case information and typed/handwritten and signed final repair request to FORD. Certified with tracking information.

Better Business Bureau- log on their website and find your state, submit a complaint via their application page and you will receive a packet in the mail requesting repair orders, registration and other documents. Mail the forms back and they will call to set up details of your process. They will notify Ford and have to respond in 10 days. They will negotiate with Ford and await response to approved repair or decision.

LAST RESORT- acquire a Lemon Law Lawyer (someone who specifically deals with lemon law). Include all information from above to determine if they will take your case. If they accept and you accept their services, it SHOULD normally take 6-12 months dependent. Good news is, most will not ask for any money up front due to requesting the amount be added in the settlement amount. And if they should lose (unlikely), they will not charge you.

Having said the above, I'm currently on the Ford CSR and just initiated the BBB Route; I'll be mailing the letter tomorrow to FORD for official notification in writing. I will update this post with new information as I reach each additional step.
Those who have more experience, please feel free to add to this post to help aid those in a step by step guideline to ensure all of our Ford CONSUMERS are satisfied with their products. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
^^^ You can see the log of my process in post #7 of this thread. 6 weeks from the time I filed with the BBB till I had check in hand !

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Mike,

When you went through your process - how was the car retrieved, was it at your location or did you have to bring it to a certain location?

Also for the buy-back payment - how does that work? Meaning, do they give the amount back you financed + amount put down on the car, window sticker or?? Did they reduce your payment by any "penalty" fees?

Thanks

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Car never left the dealer was there from 5/24 till the day I got the check.

Normally tho, you would have the car & you need to go to the dealer twice (with the car). Trip #1 the dealer does an inspection (form from Ford) verifying there is no body damage, excessive wear etc. and they have you sign a document that spells out the exact $$ being reimbursed (inc. any attorney fees). I paid cash for my car, so there was no messing with the bank & amount financed. There was a formula where they took the selling price, added dealer fees, taxes & ST fees & subtracted any incentives (so basically they got to the cash, out-the-door price). That gets used in a formula for the mileage charge which also gets deducted. In my case, they had to pay for all the dealer installed mods (FL LL requirement) & that got added back in. Dealer sends the signed/notarized docs & inspection back to Ford. If there is damage, they will require you fix it before getting the check.

I was allowed @ that time to remove any mods I had done myself that could be pulled without screwing up the car (basically all the small stuff I had in my For Sale thread). There were a few things I could not easily remove that got left behind (dead pedal overlay, visor sticker covers, some custom badging) & I was never made whole for the mud flaps stolen by the dealers ppl. Obviously, if you had the car @ home you could have done all this before going in for the inspection.

Typically, you would go home with the car & in 10 days or so the check would arrive @ the dealer. Then you would go back, they do another inspection & and have you sign the final buyback agreement accepting the check as payment in full, hand over the title, keys & you're done. Since they obviously need clear title to the car, if there was a loan the bank would be getting a check for the payoff amount & you would be getting the diff. Not sure how they would deal with a trade-in (I had none), but I suspect that would be treated like cash you put down. If you were upside down in the old car it could be an issue & you could potentially owe them or the bank $$, meaning you would need to bring a check to the turnover :headbonk:. Also, not sure how any finance charges you have paid on the loan would be handled - prob. a question for the BBB guys. Mine was very simple since I was all cash & no trade.

Since they had my car & I had their loaner, I showed up with title, spare key, manuals & the loaner. Signed & got copies of the buyback agreement + the check, walked across the street & drove off with my prearranged rental. Went immediately to my bank & deposited the check & went home. Dropped the rental on the other side of the state 2 days later & drove back in my new Hellcat.

RubyRedVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
My hearing with the BBB arbitorator and Ford is scheduled for next week. I will be bringing copies of all the service records and claim forms. Can anyone give some insight on what to expect at the hearing?

Sponsored

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
My hearing with the BBB arbitorator and Ford is scheduled for next week. I will be bringing copies of all the service records and claim forms. Can anyone give some insight on what to expect at the hearing?
Varies a bit from state to state, my BBB rep. walked me thru what it was going to be like. Ford cancelled @ the last minute & agreed to the buyback, so I never actually went.

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
After a year and a half fighting ford I just placed my DORA yesterday.

A small glimmer of hope can be seen.

768mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Ford has agreed to buy mine back. They are refunding purchase price, payments made, sales tax, document fee, etc. They have subtracted a small amount for mileage used from purchase mileage to first repair mileage. Came out to $1000.
I accepted their offer. Waiting for a packet to sign and will turn it back in to a dealer up here
But after a refund, Ford was insistent that I consider another Ford but made it clear that I don't qualify for rebates or incentives.

They seem to want to retain their customers.

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Congrats on the buy-back, looks like things moved along pretty well once the ball was rolling !
They never really mentioned buying another car, guess they were done with me, which was fine as I was more than done with them !

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Ford has agreed to buy mine back. They are refunding purchase price, payments made, sales tax, document fee, etc. They have subtracted a small amount for mileage used from purchase mileage to first repair mileage. Came out to $1000.
I accepted their offer. Waiting for a packet to sign and will turn it back in to a dealer up here
But after a refund, Ford was insistent that I consider another Ford but made it clear that I don't qualify for rebates or incentives.

They seem to want to retain their customers. ��
via the CSM or via the BBB AutoLine process?

Did you have to go to the other dealer for the NVH test or did they fold?

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
TTT

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
So, a checklist I have put together thus far to make it easier for those who may be wondering how to attack this process (understanding each State requirement variance)

Dealer repair- 3+ repairs depending for EXACT SAME ISSUE that has not been repaired to YOUR liking.
You are the consumer of their product. They do not dictate what you are comfortable with. Make sure they provide technical data and specs to back their claim of "normal". This does NOT include the word from their techs, that's subjective.
Wrong. Stop misleading people and encouraging them to apply for a "buyback" based simply on buyer's remorse.

The customer's "liking" has nothing to do with it. You bought a mass produced product designed to appeal to millions of people; not a one-off custom vehicle. If the vehicle is operating to design and engineering specifications, then your opinion/satisfaction means nothing in terms of a vehicle repurchase. A manufacturer has no obligation to buy back a vehicle from a customer simply because they don't like it. If that were the case, millions of vehicles each year would qualify under the lemon law - and they certainly do not.

"Normal" means a vehicle operates within the manufacturer/industry specs. It does not mean it operates within YOUR idea of how you THINK it should be.

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
if you can find the recent arbitration cases for your state it may make it more clear whether or not yours will hold water. CT uses the department of consumer protection to facilitate the cases, and not the BBB. their website has all the recent ones laid out.

Here's one for a Hyundai Sonata with driveline vibrations that was REJECTED.
http://www.ct.gov/dcp/lib/dcp/trade_practices/lemon/lemon-case-2016-1407.pdf

Here's another for a 2015 mustang with dash rattles that was accepted
http://www.ct.gov/dcp/lib/dcp/trade_practices/lemon/lemon-case-2016-1461.pdf

I've been reading as much as I can and at least here it seems to be almost arbitrary as to whether it gets accepted or not. Their official line is it must "Substantially impair the Use, safety, or Value of the vehicle" which can be subjective.
I will say it looks like they pay particular attention to how many days the vehicle was out of service, 30 is CT's magic number I know others vary.

RubyRedVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
The BBB arbitrator awarded in my favor, Ford is to begin the process of repurchasing my car. My understanding is that the final phase will be completed within 30 days.

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
The BBB arbitrator awarded in my favor, Ford is to begin the process of repurchasing my car. My understanding is that the final phase will be completed within 30 days.
Congrats on your success with the process !

It pays to read up on your state quirks and follow the rules to a T :thumbsup:
Sponsored