Sponsored

Knock / retard timing - bad first tank of gas or boost leak

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
So I have my 1 week old ecoboost automatic. When I roll into boost sometimes (2nd/3rd gear - lower RPM heavier load) the car will knock on occasion and aggressively pull back timing.

Do I just have a crappy original tank of gas? Or should I be tracking down a boost leak?

Im trying to run this tank all the way out before filling it up myself with good 93 octane.

Just curious from other users who have experienced knock/timing retard.
Sponsored

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
How do you know it's pulling timing? It's likely full of 87... Also, engine is still breaking in at a week old.

Never a bad idea to check your hoses, they were famous for popping off form factory.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
I wouldn't jump to any major conclusions until you go through a couple tanks of good gas to get some miles on it

OP
OP

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
How do you know it's pulling timing? It's likely full of 87... Also, engine is still breaking in at a week old.

Never a bad idea to check your hoses, they were famous for popping off form factory.
because i can hear a loud 'PING' when getting the boost up and the car immediately pulls back the timing - feels like im coming off the pedal for a split second its that noticeable. it will due it repeatedly low in the RPM band, 2nd/3rd gear with higher boost. btw my car is all stock.

i have no clue what fuel is currently in the tank (ford/dealer supplied).

when making low boost i 'think' im hearing light pinging.

hopefully have the remaining fuel ran out today. any suggestions on filling up - should I reset anything so it can relearn?

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
The dealerships send these cars off with a tank of 87 octane. I would run that tank out, get some good 93 in it and see if it still does it. There are a lot of causes of detonation on the factory tune. They really utilize the throttle angle to keep load and boost in limits.

Highly recommend getting a tune.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
The dealerships send these cars off with a tank of 87 octane. I would run that tank out, get some good 93 in it and see if it still does it. There are a lot of causes of detonation on the factory tune. They really utilize the throttle angle to keep load and boost in limits.

Highly recommend getting a tune.
i want one very much.

i also want to put 15k on it the odometer so, if there is a workmanship issue, I dont have to worry about a picky dealer and my warranty.

as soon as I hit 15k we'll talk.

OP
OP

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Update: did some runs tonight in the interstate. 4th/5th gear.

3/4 throttle: 17.7lbs and it spikes on occasion to 14.4 af/r then it reigns it back in to about 13.9. When this happens I get a harsh ping/knock. From my previous knowledge this af/r should be closer to 12 on full boost. Why it's targeting 13.9 at part throttle is beyond me.

WOT throttle: 16/17lbs and 11.6 af/r. Health happy.

Put a half tank of 93 in when it was almost empty. Not solving the issue.

Thoughts?

I tried checking the clamps on the piping, can't reach the two intercooler clamps atm

Last edited:

Wera750

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
World's Fastest EcoBoost Mustang (940 WHP)
You have a boost leak it sounds like. You should see more than 17 lbs of boost. I would imagine your will find some loose intercooler piping.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Never roll into big boost under 3k in third gear or higher. It's a recipe for massive knock on an engine with a small quick spooling turbo like ours.

I did some testing while datalogging for Adam to ensure the MAP p1.5 tune was healthy on my car. 0 knock going WOT in third gear at 2500 rpm. Did the same in 5th and saw between 3and 4 knock which scared the shit out of me when I noticed. Just to be safe. I will never boot it below 3k again, just downshift and enjoy.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Never roll into big boost under 3k in third gear or higher. It's a recipe for massive knock on an engine with a small quick spooling turbo like ours.

I did some testing while datalogging for Adam to ensure the MAP p1.5 tune was healthy on my car. 0 knock going WOT in third gear at 2500 rpm. Did the same in 5th and saw between 3and 4 knock which scared the shit out of me when I noticed. Just to be safe. I will never boot it below 3k again, just downshift and enjoy.
Hear what you're saying but this thing is bone stock. Can't imagine that this is how ford intended it to run.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Fill the car with fresh asap and throw in some octane booster.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
That AFR is lean as hell. When my car was stock, it was pig rich under WOT and boost, like in the 9's.

Mike

OP
OP

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Fill the car with fresh asap and throw in some octane booster.

It got 8 gallons of Valero 93 tonight and still doing it.

I notice the car sounds like it's pinging across the board. 1/4 throttle and holding, when it shifts into 3rd it sounds like pinging / phone book pages flapping.

I'm about to pull the bottom panel off and check the inter cooler clamps.

Anything else I should be checking?

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
1 week old? bring it back to the dealer.
Sponsored